Amazing old people

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I conversed with 2 mid-90's gentlemen that simply amazed me. Both seemed to be fairly fit and both are still driving alone. Wow! I took the opportunity to explore their past with them, both just barely remembering the depression and both missing WWII service due to age (high school). Both men brought up the idea that our current connectivity (phones, social media) is having negative effects on our society.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit with very old people, take a moment to show them respect by engaging with them. It's beneficial to both parties.

My son is 9, and he passed the swim test to get his green band at the Y on Saturday.

This means, not only can we use the deep end of the pool that is roped off during family swim (family swim is mobbed, but the deep end has 2-10 people max), we can now use the lap pool. It's 25 yards and 9'6" at one end.

While my boy was swimming the lane, and elderly woman in the next lane said have him keep his head in the water, and turn to breathe, he can do it!

Older people seem unafraid to offer constructive criticism or encouragement.

Most people our age tend to not say much because of the climate etc. these days.

I've said it before, I consider "older" people to be the hardest working people.....

My mother is in her mid 70's. One day she was waxing on about the drug problems and how women didn't dress appropriately and were too promiscuous.

I remarked that it was ironic coming from a woman who was a 60's flower child, lived in SF for a time and partied at Woodstock

My mother is in her mid 70's. One day she was waxing on about the drug problems and how women didn't dress appropriately and were too promiscuous.

I remarked that it was ironic coming from a woman who was a 60's flower child, lived in SF for a time and partied at Woodstock
I tried to duplicate the pic with the Haight Ashbury signs behind Garcia, but realized the signs were not on the same corner in 2012, as 1965 (could tell by the apt building behind Jerry in the pic)

edit I had to look at a map.....they are standing where Ben and Jerry's is today: 1480 Haight St. This is the Northeast corner of the intersection.

The signs are today, across the street, on the Northwest corner of the intersection. Try as we may, we cannot truly get the exact same pose!

This is what I had tried to recreate in 2012 (you can even see 1500 is over right shoulder and back):

jjj1.jpg

jjj.jpg

Last edited:
This week I conversed with 2 mid-90's gentlemen that simply amazed me. Both seemed to be fairly fit and both are still driving alone. Wow! I took the opportunity to explore their past with them, both just barely remembering the depression and both missing WWII service due to age (high school). Both men brought up the idea that our current connectivity (phones, social media) is having negative effects on our society.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit with very old people, take a moment to show them respect by engaging with them. It's beneficial to both parties.
I echo your thoughts 100%. I frequently visit a friend who just turned 100 in May. He was cutting his own grass till about five years ago and is stll sharp as a tack. I have learned so much from him and have reminded him of being the smartest person I know from his life experiences. He's glad to have someone to talk to, so we both benefit from the visits.

I'm 52, can't stand to be around people younger or many my age. I much prefer sitting around with some 70-80 geezers and absorbing their life experiences, knowledge and opinions. I ain't skeerd of how things used to be...
I feel the same way. I too can't stand to be around the young " Know it Alls" who have no respect for anyone.

My mother had some older friends. They all wound up in the same nursing home. The oldest and sharpest was 97 years old. She didn't really need to be in a nursing home but she had tons of money and lived there for the social aspects. She still had her car but didn't have places to go. Back in 2010, she'd pull me aside and ask, So, Leo, do you think that Obama's recently announced economic stimulus package will have the intended effect of easing the tax burden on the middle class? She was serious, too. She was really smart. May we all be that sharp at 97.

Another older guy in the nursing home was in WW2 and told me about he got sprayed with a chemical warfare agent and it still bothered him 65 years later.

I feel the same way. I too can't stand to be around the young " Know it Alls" who have no respect for anyone.
I feel it's the exception when a "young" person shows they are interested in what they are doing. Seeing a HS woman say, "This is BS I only get $14!" is what I expect. So when they are helpful, they've exceeded my expectations...

It's very interesting that we share our sentiments, so we can't be imagining them. I would say it was easier to excel by working hard before, than it is today (think about how difficult it is to get into U of FL, or Yale, today--carbon copies of perfection get rejected, unlike in our times and our parents' times. Not just college...)

My bro said in his office, all the mgt is young, 27-30'ish. A guy just got back from his 4 months of paid paternity leave, and said, "Wow, there are lots of old people in the office."

I woulda told him to go out to his car, and make sure his Swiftie sticker is still on straight.

Try hiring them...we're doomed!
Because you're in medical....my wife was a high risk pregnancy, so she had weekly ultrasounds. While we were waiting, she said I'll make next week's appointment. She returns to our seats very quickly. I said what happened? The young receptionist said I have to call her to make the next appointment.

I saw she was chit chatting and doing nothing, with a group of persons, so I walked up and politely said, did you tell my wife she has to call, to make an appointment? She said yep. I said that doesn't make sense, when we're standing right in front of you. She said well, I'm busy, so call to make the appt. I walked back to the seats like my wife did, tail tucked...btw the ultrasound tech said, she said that? pffftttt....let me make the appt. for you, and opens up a screen and makes it.

A good friend of mine is 82, we became friends through attending high school sports. We go often to various games together. And he still changes his own oil, LOL

I just talk to myself. That's what old people do like me 😂

I just talk to myself. That's what old people do like me 😂
Since technically, our office has hoteling today, but being a senior, when the office was built, I was assigned window seat with a view of the river and bridge (and access to the parking garage).

Other people could in fact compete with me to reserve this seat, but I snore during lunch and drool, so most younguns don't want to sit it my seat anyway and it's always available for me to book....

A good friend of mine is 82, we became friends through attending high school sports. We go often to various games together. And he still changes his own oil, LOL
When I was 21 and a waiter while being in college, and old guy befriended me. He made me into a better waiter and actually was willing to share his tips with me (why wouldn't I he was more skilled).

The old guy at the time was 43 and he had wild stories to tell about being a merchant marine :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back