Thanking those who serve(d)

LDB

I'm basically retired, proofreading and copy editing for a select group of authors which I do at home. I considered things to do once retired, golf, tennis, bowling, car collecting, philately, numismatics and others. All require large investments and large ongoing expenditures. Then I came upon the perfect retirement activity. I thank military and first responders for what they do to protect and help others.

A box of 500 cards with appropriate text to recognize and thank those men and women cost next to nothing. Keeping several in my pocket is easier than rolling a strike. Any time I see someone in uniform or wearing a veteran's cap I thank them for their service and give them a card. Sometimes I get a nice visit out of it. So far I've never been poked in the nose for acknowledging them and what they've done or are doing. My favorite is WWII veterans although it is extremely rare to meet them. I have met a few since starting this a decade ago, including one MOH recipient. Then Korea, also very rare, and Vietnam, not as rare although due to Agent Orange and other things we are losing them prematurely.

A few belittled my other comments about appreciating law enforcement. I anticipate the same here and frankly that makes me more determined to continue on both fronts. If you see a service member, active or retired, and thank them you almost always get a good handshake and maybe a smile. And if you are really lucky you get a nice visit also.

If you want to include some physical labor in your new hobby, join the local Veterans Council. My BIL has been contributing his time and efforts for over ten years! Building handicap access ramps, repairing stairs and porches, cleaning up the local veterans park, etc.

If you want to include some physical labor in your new hobby, join the local Veterans Council. My BIL has been contributing his time and efforts for over ten years! Building handicap access ramps, repairing stairs and porches, cleaning up the local veterans park, etc.
Or volunteer at a local VA as a driver. My dad drove veterans to their medical appointments for a few years.

A lot of Vets in my town, proudly wear my retired hat when out and about, lot of Vet hats when in Lowes and Home Depot. :cool:

1696361439913.jpg

I'll take a slightly different tack. Both of my parents served in WW2. Father paratrooper Easy Company 101st., jumped D day, Normandy Mother army nurse in Italy, got bombed frequently by the Nazis. Neither wanted to talk about it. I spent time in both sea services and deployed with the grunt Marines, Gulf War. Son is active duty CG. We volunteered, nobody forced us. It was a job, not a calling. People get hurt in lots of occupations. Many of us are a little embarrassed being singled out. We're proud of course but no different than any other American and certainly no better. Maybe some VA bennies otherwise;

My view is we're owed nothing special.

I'll take a slightly different tack. Both of my parents served in WW2. Father paratrooper Easy Company 101st., jumped D day, Normandy Mother army nurse in Italy, got bombed frequently by the Nazis. Neither wanted to talk about it. I spent time in both sea services and deployed with the grunt Marines, Gulf War. Son is active duty CG. We volunteered, nobody forced us. It was a job, not a calling. People get hurt in lots of occupations. Many of us are a little embarrassed being singled out. We're proud of course but no different than any other American and certainly no better. Maybe some VA bennies otherwise;

My view is we're owed nothing special.

Did you dad ever tell you if he served with Major Winters? The TV series, Band of Brothers was based off Easy Company in the 101st and Major Winters was one of the pioneers of today's infantry tactics.

Did you dad ever tell you if he served with Major Winters? The TV series, Band of Brothers was based off Easy Company in the 101st and Major Winters was one of the pioneers of today's infantry tactics.
He knew D*ck Winters. He knew them all. From Currahee to the Eagle's Nest.

Reactions: Pew
Back