Am i the only one really disliking SUVs?

I can't stand CUV's, they're mom-mobiles.

My grandma had an 11' CRV that I drove quite a bit. It drove like a horse carriage and it was uncomfortable and slow.

My requirements are mainly comfort, and my Genesis is the golden-ticket. Add in the V8, why wouldn't someone want one?

Everyone likes different things and maybe they fit for others. I personally don’t like cars of any kind really weather it’s fwd or high performance rwd. I drove a newer Camaro a while back and it was one of the worst rides I had ever been in. Felt like my rear end was dragging the road , the windows were up to my neck and my head was in the roof and I’m not that tall at 5’11. Almost no rear visibility and it was hard to get in and out of. It was fast though and handled very well. I also drove a new Mustang and it was the same but had a little better visibility. I don’t care much for SUVs because of their gas mileage is the same as a truck and can’t haul now where near as much. There are only two SUVs that I have ever liked is the Ford Excursion with the 7.3 and 80s model 4 runners because they are tanks off-road. While SUVs don’t suit me for anything if someone is happy with them then great.

I'm really disliking sedans. I haven't owned one for years and don't plan to ever own one again unless I need a cheap used commuter. Real SUVs (not CUVs) offer a great driving experience - the ride height gives a commanding view of the road, the suspension and ride quality are unparalleled - it's nice to actually have suspension travel! If I hit a bump or go over a speed bump it's easily cushioned by the amount of suspension travel built into the suspension of an SUV. Not to mention the packaging, the rear seat passengers have substantially more leg room, plus I can fold the rear seats down and easily haul large and bulky cargo. Much more useful than a sedan.

Well let's just say I prefer sedans due to the technical specs of a sedan vs trucks/SUV/CUV. Usually lighter weight, better gas mileage, lower center of gravity so better handling, lower weight usually translates to shorter stopping distances. Of course smaller makes it more dangerous too in an accident so I won't go smaller than a mid sized sedan like the E-350. That has AWD so same as those SUV/CUVs. Mostly just commuting around so don't actually need the extra space of a larger vehicle. Also not really into the really large vehicles, feels like you're driving a barn around, just feels like it's easier to move in and out of traffic with a sedan.

CAFE probably killed sedans also, tougher to meet requirements. Trucks and SUVs don't have to meet the same requirements as sedans.

The extra money for an SUV vs a car doesn't make any financial sense. A Ford Fiesta MSRP is about 15k, while the Ford Fiesta with higher ground clearance (Ecosport) is about 20k. Its the same exact vehicle, but manufacturers charge a premium for the SUV version, because people will pay it. Same with the Chevy Sonic and Trax. Sonic is dirt cheap, while Trax commands a hefty premium. I am sure there are more.

NOBODY wants to drive a Ford Fiesta. You may COMPROMISE and buy one but nobody buys them as a vehicle of preference....C'Mon.

NOBODY wants to drive a Ford Fiesta. You may COMPROMISE and buy one but nobody buys them as a vehicle of preference....C'Mon.

I don't think any kid says "when I grow up, I want a Fiesta or Sonic." haha

These are not aspirational vehicles, rather, like you said, vehicles when you can't afford more or you don't need more.

Reactions: CKN

My grandma had an 11' CRV that I drove quite a bit. It drove like a horse carriage and it was uncomfortable and slow.

My requirements are mainly comfort, and my Genesis is the golden-ticket. Add in the V8, why wouldn't someone want one?
Ground clearance kills cars for me. They're alright for city folk, but once you leave the pavement they are no bueno.

I have to agree with you, I really dislike them but for those that want them I say you pay your money and make your choice. The thing that bothers me is that manufactures have started forcing them down out throats by not making a sedan. I never understood why they got rid of station wagons. They forced Mini Vans down out throat then. Kind of like pickup trucks that are lifted from the factory. In the 70's you could actually load and unload a truck bed without a ladder and the 6 and 7 ft ramps worked well. Now even the lowest truck bed hits you in the chest and a 6 ft ramp will be on a 45 deg angle and everything bottoms out going in and out.
Couldn't agree more. During the last years Renault and PSA released new sedans to compete with the germans but they're only available with small displacement turbo engines. No more V6.

My main grip with SUVs other than how bland and bulky they look (bulky in bad way, they're like an empty plastic box with a small engine most of the time, to illustrate) is the ride height, i hate the "me bigger, me higher" feel you get from them and talking to most people that's what they like about it (mostly grandparents and moms). My idea of the perfect car is a sedan with a non sporty, couchy ride like what american sedans and many europeans used to be. It makes me sad how they try to make the last sedans sporty with big rims etc. Sure they corner well but i don't want a stiff ride after a hard day of work and for 3H+ trips.

Not that I don’t like SUV’s I don’t have a use for one... and if I needed a pickup I can rent one from uhaul, Lowe’s or Home Depot. Personally I like wagons and vans.

The closest thing I've owned to a CUV was a Mazda CX-3. I'm not even sure what to call it. It seemed just a few inches larger in every dimension than my current Focus, which is straight-up hatchback. They're similar in every way, with just a couple of inches more ground clearance on the Mazda, and AWD. Nicely appointed car that sat up a bit higher than a traditional 'car', but was severely underpowered. CUVs and SUVs have their advantages in ingress/egress (my elderly parents LOVE their Hyundai Santa Fe) and cargo capacity, but I just don't like the driving experience. At the first sign of any spirited driving, the engine gets overwhelmed and the tires and suspension throw their hands up, unless you're driving a Macan or Cayenne. I've watched some pretty scary videos of Toyota Highlanders on a test track, attempting the same high-speed lane change maneuver that most other non-SUV vehicles pull off with ease, and I want no part of a vehicle that behaves that way. I just have no real use for all the space that people seem to relish in, driving around in their Tahoes and Expeditions. I don't care what people drive, until it becomes clear that their purchases didn't match an appropriate vehicle to the driving skill of the owner. I've seen a LOT of outmatched people attempting to negotiate traffic and tight parking lots in vehicles that are clearly too big for them. This situation, I wish would stop. Bigger is not better if you can't judge distance, and where your four corners are at all times. The ability to see over the dashboard is essential, too. These are the folks that convinced me to stop riding my motorcycle before I became just another piece of road debris wedged in their fender wells.

The closest thing I've owned to a CUV was a Mazda CX-3. I'm not even sure what to call it. It seemed just a few inches larger in every dimension than my current Focus, which is straight-up hatchback. They're similar in every way, with just a couple of inches more ground clearance on the Mazda, and AWD. Nicely appointed car that sat up a bit higher than a traditional 'car', but was severely underpowered. CUVs and SUVs have their advantages in ingress/egress (my elderly parents LOVE their Hyundai Santa Fe) and cargo capacity, but I just don't like the driving experience. At the first sign of any spirited driving, the engine gets overwhelmed and the tires and suspension throw their hands up, unless you're driving a Macan or Cayenne. I've watched some pretty scary videos of Toyota Highlanders on a test track, attempting the same high-speed lane change maneuver that most other non-SUV vehicles pull off with ease, and I want no part of a vehicle that behaves that way. I just have no real use for all the space that people seem to relish in, driving around in their Tahoes and Expeditions. I don't care what people drive, until it becomes clear that their purchases didn't match an appropriate vehicle to the driving skill of the owner. I've seen a LOT of outmatched people attempting to negotiate traffic and tight parking lots in vehicles that are clearly too big for them. This situation, I wish would stop. Bigger is not better if you can't judge distance, and where your four corners are at all times. The ability to see over the dashboard is essential, too. These are the folks that convinced me to stop riding my motorcycle before I became just another piece of road debris wedged in their fender wells.
Driving a turbocharged CX5, I disagree with your assessment.

Note this is an older model without the turbo, lacking about 70hp/120# torque in comparison:

Hence why I bought one. It's basically a WRX on stilts to deal with chunks of ice/ruts/etc. in the winter, with a nicer interior and a lot more amenities.

I take it you haven't driven an SUV/CUV lately.

Try a new Grand Cherokee Summit with the Hemi, and get back to me.

:)

Reactions: Ws6
Driving a turbocharged CX5, I disagree with your assessment.

Note this is an older model without the turbo, lacking about 70hp/120# torque in comparison:

Hence why I bought one. It's basically a WRX on stilts to deal with chunks of ice/ruts/etc. in the winter, with a nicer interior and a lot more amenities.

If you watched the CX-5 lane change video, and believe that's how you want your vehicle to behave, then you and I have different definitions of good handling characteristics.

Not that I don’t like SUV’s I don’t have a use for one... and if I needed a pickup I can rent one from uhaul, Lowe’s or Home Depot. Personally I like wagons and vans.
I like wagons, just need 4WD too often for me to compromise, at least for a second vehicle. But I drove too much, and too often the roads don't need AWD, for me to put up with the mpg hit. At least that was my thinking.

I've never looked into the cost of curbside trash pickup, but since it's not "free" I've simply not looked. Once a week I need to run stuff to the transfer station. I *could* do that with a sedan, but it's just easier with something else. Trailering is possible but for some reason I dislike moving a trailer in winter.

30 minute drive for me to get to Home Depot. Yeah renting would be cheaper than owning, and I'll probably go that route next time--but it sure is easier to just own something with a bit more capability than a sedan. Owning two vehicles has some drawbacks, and I toy with going back to a single vehicle. But I've yet to figure out what is "best" for my needs. Once this pandemic ends I need to reevaluate my vehicle needs.

If you watched the CX-5 lane change video, and believe that's how you want your vehicle to behave, then you and I have different definitions of good handling characteristics.
Predictable and controlled works for me. Also consider the narrow tires and high ride height for dealing with rain/snow/etc and fact it still does better than some sports cars.

I am a huge fan of hatchbacks and have owned a few over the decades. However, getting older necessitated the need for AWD, more ground clearance, and a higher seating position. My crossover gave me that for a price that was actually lower than the AWD hatchbacks on the market at the time.

I would possibly consider an Outback for my next vehicle, but it would have to be the XT and I am not wild about paying $35K for a Subaru wagon with a CVT transmission.

I can't understand what's appealing about those cars, all of the time they're a combination of everything i don't like, like downsized turbo engines, the feeling of being high above the road, it feels to me like i'm seating in the roof of the car
Amen brother! While I don't mind sitting high, I despise a vehicle with a high center of gravity. I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type (Ford Mondeo/Contour base) and it's an absolute pleasure to drive by comparison to every rental SUV I've tried. Note: I rent every week, sometimes as many as 3 different vehicles. I also drive 3 different F150's.

Cars, especially well tuned and sporty cars, when pushed, are a whole bunch more fun than SUV's. Even the mighty Tesla Model Y drives like an SUV and I prefer the Sedan version, the Model 3.

As the market populates with SUV's, the choices for fun cars seems do diminish daily. I actually look forward to renting a Nissan Maxima, as the most fun of all locally available rentals.

I didn't get the popularity either. With kids and their accessories, life is easier when you can just throw stuff in back. Now I get it.

Most people don't care about performance. I do, and that factored into my dive into the SUV world.

Back