Am i the only one really disliking SUVs?

More power to those who can use them; i have no interest in them. I find my hatchbacks carry stuff better, and minivans carry people better; so you with an SUV you get a vehicle that does neither very well; JMO of course, but perhaps that is sufficient for many.
Hatchbacks and minivans are both terrible choices for what I use my CUV for. Steep rutted gravel roads, rain or shine, ice or not. Basically I wanted a WRX but needed ground clearance. So, a turbocharged AWD CUV was just the ticket.

Not a big fan. I think they’re more wasteful and less practical than other options.

Doesn’t mean I won’t ever consider buying one. I think that the hybrids that set up electric awd are kind of neat for anyone who doesn’t really need awd. And the seating position can be nice.

But to have all these SUVs to stroke peoples’ vanity, versus more and better availability of minivans and wagons just seems silly to me.

Some are better than others. What bothers me is when they are all so alike, no real choice there but the badge on the front.

Also don't like the high waist, short window, poor visibility design most have.

SUV-look-the-same-1200x625.jpeg
I absolutely LOVE how CUV's completely disappear. I don't want people to notice me. Bought a gray CX5 and it's literally invisible in traffic or in the parkinglot. One of the things I love about it. If you don't own one, you probably can't tell it from a myriad of other CUV's just going down the road. Total gray man concept in action.

Called my local salesman and suggested we might trade the Equinox for a TourX he laughed and said fine if I could get down into it. I probably don`t need the GMC most of the time but a load of cow manure in the wifes car would not go well.

I like the higher clearance and seating in both of my cuv's. My wife would have a hard time getting down into a sedan. She would also have a hard time getting up into a pickup. The cuv fits well right in between. I also enjoy the higher line of sight that my cuv affords me. Can't stand driving at night down low with headlights in my face. I am also confident that in an accident I would be more protected. My wife was hit badly by another car a few years ago. Her suv protected her from very serious injury and possibly death. If she were in something like a Kia Optima she may not be here today.

I've always hated them. I've never been into the whole "soccermom" thing. Now I do like off-road lifted Suburbans,but I hate the typical "I'm a responsible parent because I drive an SUV" with "Baby On Board" stickers all over them.

Let the sheeple have those!

But hey, we all march to the beat of a different drummer. We like what we like:)

Last year when my 3 Series was in "will it be totaled or not" limbo, the BMW dealer gave me two loaners, both X3s. The second was practically a new car. I got used to the height of them and the driving dynamics pretty fast, but I felt conspicuous, as if I were sitting naked on a merry-go-round or a Ferris wheel. Of course that made no sense; I wasn't conspicuous. Every 4th vehicle around me was an CUV/SUV.

I suppose if I needed one, I could get to like it. But not having a sedan (or coupe!) option from certain makers, like Buick, is annoying.

All these people who bought an SUV or CUV, or had their husbands buy one for them, to impress their neighbors are going to regret it terribly when the price of fuel soars again. And the carmakers who've ditched smaller vehicle options in favor of vast profits are going to regret it even more, as consumers flock to more fuel efficient vehicles. Remember in the '70s how buyers stampeded away from big U.S. sedans and wagons to efficient and fun-to-drive imports.

I say to each his own. Or less politely, mind your own business because it's the height of vanity to think that one's own preference is superior to everyone else's. The only thing to complain about is if you can't find something to drive that pleases you.

Edit: I'm honestly not pointing this at anyone here specifically.

The extra money for an SUV vs a car doesn't make any financial sense. A Ford Fiesta MSRP is about 15k, while the Ford Fiesta with higher ground clearance (Ecosport) is about 20k. Its the same exact vehicle, but manufacturers charge a premium for the SUV version, because people will pay it. Same with the Chevy Sonic and Trax. Sonic is dirt cheap, while Trax commands a hefty premium. I am sure there are more.

No, you're not :)

I hate how they displace wagons and hatchbacks in the US. Now, if they were in addition to the wagons, I'd have NO problem with them.

I totally agree with you. I find the trend away from sedans and coupes to be very sad. And all for boring the boring SUV.

I do understand the practicality of an SUV/wagon. I really do enjoy taking my wife's Outback off road occasionally. My E350 will never do that. And I can load things in the Outback that are kind of a pain to put in the E350. So the SUV/wagon has it's place. But there is no way that I want two SUV style cars in my garage.

Every once in a while I consider selling my wife's Outback and replacing it with a Mercedes SUV. But then I look a them on the road and, except for the G wagon, none of them excite me. About the only luxury SUV that does anything for me is a Cayenne.

I really hope that some day American's will once again want to drive a good looking car again, instead of boring SUV's. But until then, there will be less eye candy on the highway.

If you NEED the 4wd and towing capacity of an SUV, then of course it makes sense, but for me, just to say I have an SUV, while paying more and guzzling gas is unnecessary

In Canada, SUV, CUV and pickup trucks make up over 80% of new car sales.
Frankly, a big reason they are so popular is to see over snowbanks when coming out to main streets.
Another reason is the AWD/4WD traction.
Once you have such a vehicle, you won't got back to 2WD.
Helps you get onto streets so much more quickly and safely.
I leave work everyday from a snowy side street to a very busy 4 lane city road.
AWD and higher seating position makes it painless, 2WD and a sedan makes it hairy.

The modern crossover, in the size of the new Rav4, CRV, CX-5, is a very versatile vehicle. Its the evolution of the best vehicles ever, wagons. Big enough to have some room, small enough to easily drive in any city. I am slightly annoyed at how often i see them everywhere but i gotta respect where these platforms have come to. And that Rav4 prime?! I would think about buying one of those of i had to replace the TourX and they were actually instock.

I am not a fan of the SUV /CUV craze. They do have a position in the market, no doubt. It just seems there is one in EVERYBODY’S driveway these days. Many that own one truly have no need, and a sedan would suit their needs just fine.

I prefer sedans, and likely always will as long as automakers keep building competent driving ones. Sedans typically handle better, have more trunk space, will be more sprightly and can be had at a better price than a “comparable” CUV. Also, I think sedans look better. Plus, at this point sedan owners seem to be in the minority, so cool brownie points for that!

Here in the FL panhandle you can sneeze at any given moment and hit just about 10 bro trucks / bro-mom SUV’s. Ultimately it’s the purchasers choice, but good grief your buying something that everyone else has. It’s not special. Tahoe’s and Silverado’s are the name of the game here.

I have to chuckle when I pull up to one at a stop light in the VW. They will be sitting up much higher in their lifted bro-dozer with loud bumbling exhaust looking down at our “humble” Jetta. It’s as if economical cars disgust them. When the light turns green sometimes they will peg the gas to show me how Bro they are, that’s when I tip into boost and quickly move past them. Ah, looking into the rear view mirror never felt better.

I've always hated them. I've never been into the whole "soccermom" thing. Now I do like off-road lifted Suburbans,but I hate the typical "I'm a responsible parent because I drive an SUV" with "Baby On Board" stickers all over them.

Let the sheeple have those!

But hey, we all march to the beat of a different drummer. We like what we like:)
Yes, the norm these days is once you have your first kid you MUST trade your sedan in for a CUV at minimum. A full on SUV would be better. We looked at going the SUV route when our first was born 10 months ago but it just wasn’t for us. My wife and I prefer sedans for a few reasons. The main reason being they are more enjoyable to drive.

Comfort, easy to drive, and cargo space/easy access cargo space. Generally speaking they'll absorb much less force in an accident compared to a smaller, usually lighter sedan.

Back