Am i the only one really disliking SUVs?

These days i see nothing but SUVs and hatchbacks on the roads, cars like the DS7, Peugeot 3008, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, Mercedes GLS etc. Every car maker has one. It began with hatchbacks after around year 2000 and now SUVs. I can't understand what's appealing about those cars, all of the time they're a combination of everything i don't like, like downsized turbo engines, the feeling of being high above the road, it feels to me like i'm seating in the roof of the car and i must thay that even small city cars feel this way nowadays. I like sedans, wagons, sporty cars and trucks but for some reason the only modern rare modern cars i like or care about are always the sedans or trucks. Am i the only one stuck in the 90s? Explain to me what made you like and want to buy this kind of car? I sound like an old fart but i'm only 27.

More power to those who can use them; i have no interest in them. I find my hatchbacks carry stuff better, and minivans carry people better; so you with an SUV you get a vehicle that does neither very well; JMO of course, but perhaps that is sufficient for many.

Indeed, my old Mercedes wagon carries stuff pretty good, same with my late Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8.

Some are better than others. What bothers me is when they are all so alike, no real choice there but the badge on the front.

Also don't like the high waist, short window, poor visibility design most have.

SUV-look-the-same-1200x625.jpeg

I don't mind the SUVs as much as how the bunch of toxic masculinity meat-heads in my area now drive even larger monster diesel dually trucks with extreme lifts and the whole getup, just so they can be in a larger rig than all the soccer moms now driving around in big SUVs. The vast majority of monster trucks stinking up the place around here don't ever seen any more dirt than the occasional driveway. A lot of highway queens that don't have a dent or scratch on them.

You probably don't have to deal with those in France. LOL

Not to get political, but one could also put blame on the car industry regulations which pushed manufacturers into producing trucks and SUVs to skirt new environmental mandates. That whole concept totally backfired in making everything worse in terms of polluting vehicles on the road. :(

These days i see nothing but SUVs and hatchbacks on the roads
Did you get SUV mixed up with CUV? True SUVs are disappearing in favor of the latter. In fact, with the exception of the 4Runner, the G-Wagon, real Jeeps, and a couple more, there are no more SUVs left.

Some are better than others. What bothers me is when they are all so alike, no real choice there but the badge on the front.

Also don't like the high waist, short window, poor visibility design most have.

SUV-look-the-same-1200x625.jpeg
Pedestrian Crash standards and aerodynamics dictate the look of vehicles-with CUVs/SUVs being no exception. Have you looked at the new sedan offerings and how low they are to the ground? (crash standards for pedestrians again). So go get in and out of a brand new sedan-and then do the same for the CUV of your choice-and get back to us.

I really like my SUV, which is now compact by today's standards. No third row, lots of visibility. It's also a big part of why modern CUVs have huge pillars and big blind spots now, but I'll keep my tires aired up and take my chances since the last one did really good in a non-rollover wreck.
IMG_20201230_182209512.jpg

These days i see nothing but SUVs and hatchbacks on the roads, cars like the DS7, Peugeot 3008, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, Mercedes GLS etc. Every car maker has one. It began with hatchbacks after around year 2000 and now SUVs. I can't understand what's appealing about those cars, all of the time they're a combination of everything i don't like, like downsized turbo engines, the feeling of being high above the road, it feels to me like i'm seating in the roof of the car and i must thay that even small city cars feel this way nowadays. I like sedans, wagons, sporty cars and trucks but for some reason the only modern rare modern cars i like or care about are always the sedans or trucks. Am i the only one stuck in the 90s? Explain to me what made you like and want to buy this kind of car? I sound like an old fart but i'm only 27.
Drive what you like, and what suits your needs, and don't worry about everyone else.

I'm ambivalent. Been a while since I drove one, might hate it. I kind alike the four door idea with four wheel drive and something of a cargo area, a utility vehicle. Sport, meh (go figure, I drive a Camry). I used to have a Jetta Wagon and it was great, fine most of the time but it would get stuck about once a year and require digging out (of the snow); another inch of ground clearance for winter would have been wonderful (but would have cost me mpg I bet).

I hope they have come a ways since 2003, this CRV of ours is dreadful.

I don't want to judge others but it's getting impossible to drive my "low slung" sedan around, simply cannot see around the land cruisers that are the norm now. If I lived in the 'burbs I'd probably have gone to an SUV by now just for that reason alone.

SUV, CUV; all the same.
I HATE THEM. Butt ugly.

Story to tell you. Back in 1999, on a trip to Europe (France) I noted that “European cars are so ugly”. The only good looking cars were the Mercedes, VW, Laguna (Renault),
607 (Peugeot), all sedans.
95% of the other cars, SUV’s were butt ugly.
Forward to 2006. Next trip. Said, “European cars not so ugly anymore”. After my return to USA, it dawned on me. It’s not that European cars got better looking, but that American cars now look like those ugly European SUV’s.

(Not crazy about Pick-up trucks either as for the most part, they are no longer work trucks- I never see them dirty 😡😳😵).

SUVs are more utilitarian compared to sedans and can carry more crap that you don't need. Basically they're hatchbacks on steroids. I have a 19 Sorento and an 03 Toyota Matrix and am very happy with both. A Tacoma would be nice, but, meh. SUVs are here to stay, at least for a while.

I have to agree with you, I really dislike them but for those that want them I say you pay your money and make your choice. The thing that bothers me is that manufactures have started forcing them down out throats by not making a sedan. I never understood why they got rid of station wagons. They forced Mini Vans down out throat then. Kind of like pickup trucks that are lifted from the factory. In the 70's you could actually load and unload a truck bed without a ladder and the 6 and 7 ft ramps worked well. Now even the lowest truck bed hits you in the chest and a 6 ft ramp will be on a 45 deg angle and everything bottoms out going in and out.

I don't mind the SUVs as much as how the bunch of toxic masculinity meat-heads in my area now drive even larger monster diesel dually trucks with extreme lifts and the whole getup, just so they can be in a larger rig than all the soccer moms now driving around in big SUVs. The vast majority of monster trucks stinking up the place around here don't ever seen any more dirt than the occasional driveway. A lot of highway queens that don't have a dent or scratch on them.

You probably don't have to deal with those in France. LOL

Not to get political, but one could also put blame on the car industry regulations which pushed manufacturers into producing trucks and SUVs to skirt new environmental mandates. That whole concept totally backfired in making everything worse in terms of polluting vehicles on the road. :(

Dang it! I swear I'm going to lift my Dually...

Then I can offend those who don't like lifted trucks. Especially those that don't like pseudo-American Italian trucks with American engines, and a Japanese transmission.

The BOF SUV will offend those that don't like SUV's, especially if they aren't an American brand.

The wifes SUV is called an "SAV" by the manufacturer. It offends people that don't like European brands, gas guzzlers, and vehicles with too much power.

The sports coupe offends those that don't like the brand of the wifes "SAV".

The sports car is an Italian brand, masquerading as an American brand. Surely that will offend someone.

The Sportbikes offend those that don't like Japanese, German, or Italian brands.

The dirtbikes are made in Austria and Japan.

There, I think I've offended everyone...

😁

Back