Aluminum flecks in oil filter

I’d missed this with it being in oil filters. Very interesting failure indeed.

I hope once it’s all sorted and built back up that that’s the end of the issue.

Also nice to see a 80k engine with zero varnish.

Got the Sportwagen back, all sorted. Good to have it home after 3 weeks. Been driving my W8 Passat...this is a race car compared to that tank but I do miss that W8 sound...

Box of parts - tossed it all but the oil pan as I can sell that. I was v. lucky is all I have to say about this.

20221012_162424.jpg

Did you try to verify what those sheared off bolts were made of?
Nope...they were tossed but they said aluminum for sure. Same part no. now gets you steel ones which is the strangeness....so I was a bit off originally...they were VW bolts and the right part number but not the right bolt that you get with that part number now - no revisions shown either with that part number. V. strange and clearly aluminum bolts aren't appropriate in that location.

Last edited:
I may just leave the Liquimoly LLHT 5W40 in for now and take it to the track with it then drain it replace with HPL and do the Dec track event with it...shame to toss an oil change I actually had to pay for and not a freebie/FCP Euro one.

Nope...they were tossed but they said aluminum for sure. Same part no. now gets you steel ones which is the strangeness....so I was a bit off originally...they were VW bolts and the right part number but not the right bolt that you get with that part number now - no revisions shown either with that part number. V. strange and clearly aluminum bolts aren't appropriate in that location.
I'd try to get an answer from VW on that strangeness ... definitely Twilight Zone stuff going on there.

Guy gets vw, doubles the power with a big turbo, trashes the heck out of it, gets a chain rattle, thrashes it for 6 more months, then replaces timing components and plans on thrashing it again. Don't know if lucky, a testament to vw's new engine, or both.

Good to see her back.

Go post your story on Subaru message boards, see how many death threats you get.

Al-u-mini-um oil pan with reusable magnetic drain plug and not the disposable one-use ones.

311326907_10158823142701723_8683849643687147634_n.jpg

Car survived day 1 of the track event I'm doing at Virginia International Raceway. Oil temps were ~240 in the morning with temps in the 60s and reached ~270 by the end of the day with temps in the 80s. This is on Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 that was put in by the shop during the repair. Wagon never missed a beat. Focus issue on my phone so not the best video but you can see it well enough. I'll swap the track wheels/tires and front BBK pads out and use it to go on a Costco run next week.

20221105_104424.jpg

ah the liquimoly dealer again :p(y):cool:
Hard to argue with the results of what Ive used/done though considering the use/"abuse"...average 5K changes over 85K with mostly LM...now HPL..and a few changes of M1 and QSUD...and of course LM engine flush MoS2 and Ceratec hahaha

726c5x.jpg

Last edited:
Would you elaborate on that to me please?
Basically the stock PCV on my VW can at times allow oil to flood the tube to the turbo inlet pipe causing a smoke screen of white smoke - track I'm talking about....so high braking followed by right hander. This part is supposed to cure that for many.

Basically the stock PCV on my VW can at times allow oil to flood the tube to the turbo inlet pipe causing a smoke screen of white smoke - track I'm talking about....so high braking followed by right hander. This part is supposed to cure that for many.

Thanks, I guessed that issue, however I hoped for
more detail on that Audi part if you don't mind. ;)

Back