Aluminum flecks in oil filter

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Cut open my Mann oil filter for my Sportwagen today after changing the oil at about dead-on 5K miles/3 mos. Last UOA showed increased aluminum numbers, it was a mid-OCI UOA after a trip down to GA for a VW event where it was used hard on the roads with "dragon" in the name. Quite shocked to see so much aluminum (not magnetic). TBH - first time opening my filter so not sure of the baseline/normal here. I beat on my car and this change included substantial hooning as well as ~40 1/4 and 1/8 mile drag runs at the track this OCI. Turbo bearing? Rings? I'll be interested to see this UOA!

20220824_155650.jpg

Capture.JPG

Where would Aluminum come from ,,, Rhetorical question. It could be bearings, pistons. a timing cover /chain issue??? It could be just because.

Where would Aluminum come from ,,, Rhetorical question. It could be bearings, pistons. a timing cover /chain issue??? It could be just because.
I would guess something in the turbo but that's a guess. I have had a noise up front that sounds like the timing chain rattling....I had it checked. Timing chain is within spec (you check with the computer). It's intermittent and the timing chains/tensioners on these aren't usually problematic but who knows!

I'd wonder if there was some detonation going on because of the tune.

Scott
Eh, not likely. The tunes on these aren't crazy and I run a bit of ethanol so don't typically see any timing correction when I log it. How would that impact this anyway?

I did it years ago in a foul handling Ford minivan. Kids got carsick in the back seat. Hurled all over the place. Won't ever do that again.
I've made my son sick doing drives like this too - it's not for the weak-stomach'd!

I would guess something in the turbo but that's a guess. I have had a noise up front that sounds like the timing chain rattling....I had it checked. Timing chain is within spec (you check with the computer). It's intermittent and the timing chains/tensioners on these aren't usually problematic but who knows!
Could that chain be looser than the computer says it is? Perhaps enough to slap the cover or case?

I may do a compression test and do just that. Car runs perfectly. No degredation in performance at all.
As you know, piston rings do like to go boom on these engines occasionally.

Just pull the rubber plug on the cover and look at the tensioner's extension. The +/- 5 deg thing is a good guide, but it isn't absolute.

As you know, piston rings do like to go boom on these engines occasionally.

Just pull the rubber plug on the cover and look at the tensioner's extension. The +/- 5 deg thing is a good guide, but it isn't absolute.
It's been on my mind to check. Does my gen 3 have this? I know the MK6 was plagued with bad tensioners.

I believe all Gen3's have it. I've seen them on the 888.3's.
So went out and looked with my mirror etc. Yes, looks like 1) cover is aluminum and 2) there is a sight hole with a plug. The plug however isn't like the MK6s where there was a lip you could easily get under to pop off. I don't want to muck it up. I really think this is it as that noise (when I get it at start up) sounds like it's coming right from there and that would explain the Al in the filter and increased level in the UOA. The engine runs so good I don't think this is a bearing or piston issues. I may stop by my shop tomorrow and chat with them about it.

Back