Aluminum Body Panel Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was mentioned in another unrelated thread, with enough dialogue that it probably deserves it's own.

There is a lot of concern in the industry and on BITOG about how these panels should be repaired. I have seen everything from not that big a deal, to advocating complete clean room environments. I come down some where in the middle. I have a good friend that owns a body shop (30 years). It's the shop I worked at while in college. He has been working aluminum for decades with no real issues, but recognizes there will need to be some changes as the use of aluminum increases. I think the refinishing side of aluminum is pretty squared away by now. Its the metalworking side that has everybody concerned.

Aluminum panels have been used for decades.
http://www.paintgages.com/List-of-Car-Manufacturers-who-use-Aluminum-Body-Panels-s/51.htm
The list above is not great, I couldn't find a complete list by manufacturer, model,and years, but IIRC the domestics started using aluminum hoods and decklids in the late 80's or early 90's.

Some have been problematic in areas of corrosion protection from the factory.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/...e-forward/?_r=0
I don't know how this came out.
There is a misconception that aluminum body panels will not corrode out. That is not true, even without contamination it can happen. Anybody that has spent any time around old airplanes can testify to that. There are a number of variables that contribute to how long it will take.

Here is a paper from I-car way back in 2007.
https://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2007/100107.pdf

So here you go guys, have at it. Anybody with first hand experience either as a tech or as a customer?

BTW the only vehicle I have with aluminum body panels is a 2008 Mustang GT. No issues so far, but it doesn't get driven in the winter if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Aluminum has been around since the super stock Chrysler drag race cars in 62/63

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Aluminum has been around since the super stock Chrysler drag race cars in 62/63

That's a rather parochial statement. Aluminum was used long before that, and much more extensively elsewhere at the time.

The end of WWII was a notable point in the use of aluminum. Aluminum had been used in cars before then, but the end of warplane production resulted in reasonable cost and plenty of people with experience using it. British cars were well known for using aluminum panels, and even some suspension pieces.

I've use 3003 H14 aluminum for body and interior panels. I've even gas welded it and when you're butting two panels together that you can't tell on which side the weld was done. You use strips of the parent aluminum as welding rod, some homemade powdered flux and a blue lens. It takes some practice but it produces beautiful welds. We've made replacement panels for cars and complete race car bodies and interiors.

All it takes to work in aluminum is to learn the properties of the material and some new skills. Anyone pounding and bending steel can work in aluminum with a little practice.

And aluminum was used in automobiles long before the 60's. I've made up body panels for cars manufactured in the teens, twenties and thirties, including a couple of frames and some radiator header tanks.

My favorite project was making aluminum body panels for a 1915 National V12 including aluminum castings for the engine and drive covers for both camshafts located on the outside of the v.

Here is a link to an original brochure. Link

I had a 96 Merc GM and the hood and trunk lid were aluminum. US postal delivery trucks are alum on steel frame. I believe other delivery vans are as well.

Originally Posted By: tig1
US postal delivery trucks are alum on steel frame. I believe other delivery vans are as well.

Yes but aren't those all flat sheets of aluminum riveted every inch and a half to an inner skeleton? That would be different from, say, an Audi that's epoxied together in structural spots. link

Bugatti produced a number of aluminum bodied cars in the 1930's. Most notably the Type57 Atlantic, which was originally going to be made of Elektron.

Ford should have figured it out since they have a decade under their belts cranking out aluminum Jags and AM's.

They figured it out, but most of the examples thus far are more of "cost is no issue" than the typical "as cheap as possible" consumer grade vehicles.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Good info. Personnally I am not paying for an aluminum auto.

An aluminum auto transmission? What do you think they're made out of, cast iron?

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Good info. Personnally I am not paying for an aluminum auto.

An aluminum auto transmission? What do you think they're made out of, cast iron?

Pretty sure he meant aluminum autoMOBILE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back