Alternative to Shell Rotella Gas Truck

Rotella gas truck was discontinued about 2 years ago. I bought some on clearance and used it in my old Mazda3.
It was not a special oil, if you want to use oil made by Shell, buy Pennzoil or Quaker State.

Honestly these days I'd go with whatever is carried locally from any of the major refiners/blenders.

I supply lots of fleets and even the basic "budget" oils from Chevron, Shell, Castrol, P66 keep vehicles going for 20-30,000+ hours. (Roughly 1,000,000 miles)

I've been using my stock pile of RGT from the clearance hoard + rebate of a couple years ago on my 5.7 Tundra. I'm down to 25 qts but with 1x year oil changes, I'm still set for 3 OCI's.

Kirkland has been the go to for all my other vehicles. Don't really have the itch to hunt deals like I used to.

I'm new to the forum... not really sure how to introduce myself... so... Hey. How's it goin'?

I'm down to my last jug of Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 and need to change the oil in my F150 soon. It has an iron block 4.6L. Under 25K miles on it. I broke it in on Valvoline conventional 5W30, then switched to Rotella Gas Truck 5W30. Using NAPA Gold 1372 filters. Oil gets changed every 4000 - 5000 miles (whenever I get time).

I went to go order a couple more gallons of that Rotella oil and cannot find it in stock for less that $50(ish) dollars/5qt jug. I'm trying to decide on an alternative. At the moment, I'm considering Mobil 1 and Valvoline, but I see that they both offer a variety of full synthetic oils. I have no plans on getting rid of the truck and want the motor to last as long as it can... it was PITA to put that engine in.

What oil would y'all recommend?
Ran a few premium oils in my Ford including Valvoline Advanced. So far Quaker State Full Synthetic has been great in the 10W30 grade (but not so much in the 5W20).

Recent;y allowed the Dealer to do and oil change (gasp!) is I was in with a transmission programmiung issue, and they put in a 5W20 - supposedly Motorcraft. The car runs great on that stuff too.; one of the better oils in that engine for sure. I didn't like the Rotella gas truck last I ran it. but it was in a 4 banger.

Why not Motorcraft semi synthetic 5W20? "Full Synthetic" in U.S.A ILSAC GF6A oils is not buying you much of anything in necessary increased performance" They all meet/exceed the same specification.

- Arco

Rotella gas truck was discontinued about 2 years ago. I bought some on clearance and used it in my old Mazda3.
It was not a special oil, if you want to use oil made by Shell, buy Pennzoil or Quaker State.
Yes as I remember RGT was way more about marketing than any breakthroughs in chemistry or value for the price. Surprised they discontinued it after a pretty short time in the lineup.

I'm new to the forum... not really sure how to introduce myself... so... Hey. How's it goin'?

I'm down to my last jug of Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 and need to change the oil in my F150 soon. It has an iron block 4.6L. Under 25K miles on it. I broke it in on Valvoline conventional 5W30, then switched to Rotella Gas Truck 5W30. Using NAPA Gold 1372 filters. Oil gets changed every 4000 - 5000 miles (whenever I get time).

I went to go order a couple more gallons of that Rotella oil and cannot find it in stock for less that $50(ish) dollars/5qt jug. I'm trying to decide on an alternative. At the moment, I'm considering Mobil 1 and Valvoline, but I see that they both offer a variety of full synthetic oils. I have no plans on getting rid of the truck and want the motor to last as long as it can... it was PITA to put that engine in.

I run Mobil1 0w40, QS All mileage 10w40, Valvoline EP 5w30, QSFS Euro 5w40, Pennzoil Platinum 0w40, Havoline HM blend 5w30 and QSFS 5w30 in my 04 Expedition w the 5.4l. Any of these run fine in my truck and will too in yours, motor isn't picky. Present oil is M1 0w40.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 or if you will stretch your OCI's longer, give the guys at HPL a call. I cannot go past 5000 miles on an OCI, so at this time I am sticking with Mobil 1 ESP!

Told ya so.

Screenshot_20240410_214331_Chrome.jpg

Lots of good SP’s have been recommended …
I only used RGT (not SP) bcs it was on clearance 😎

I also have some 3 jugs of RGT on hand, not on top of my go to after trying Penn Euro LX, basically a VW 504/507 and MB 229.52 oil. IMHO, RGT is a good oil but not a great oil.

The 4.6L is not hard on oil. Search @dnewton3 posts on his Crown Vic UOAs. He’s gone “unthinkable” distances on conventional/semi-syn oils in his 4.6 and has plenty of data to show it’s perfectly safe and still plenty protective. If you want to “treat” your engine to a great oil for a plebe price point, use M1 FS 0w40 and change it at 10k.

Welcome to the board! ✊

Must be an old link, when I click on it, it won’t let you add to cart or select quantity. Probably since it has been discontinued for several years

Told ya so
Further down it states that it's not available for shipping.

Doesn't matter; as there exist MANY better options than RGT in the shell catalogue and others. Don't understand the love, it's ho-hum IMO.
There are other Shell mixed fleet lubes marketed and sold -

Back