Alternative to Mazda MV

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a chance that I will have to change out Mazda MV ATF on a relative's vehicle during the holidays.

If I can't get hold of genuine Mazda MV, what would a suitable alternative be?

Also, if I wanted to do multiple drain and fills, how much driving should there be between each one?

My daughter's '06 Mazda3 listed in my signature also requires Mazda M-V ATF. Though a different auto tranny than your '11 Mazda 6, I have been using Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle(a.k.a. TransMax IMV)ATF, since 2009 with good success.

I've been changing the ATF every 15-18 months since then as, there are lots of miles put on this car due to her traveling for her job.

I also understand that Valvoline MaxLife ATF works well in these trannys but, I haven't tried the ML in this tranny.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
There is a chance that I will have to change out Mazda MV ATF on a relative's vehicle during the holidays.

Also, if I wanted to do multiple drain and fills, how much driving should there be between each one?

The closest I found was Castrol MV Import. It is thick enough to actually meet the MV spec unlike most fluids out there that claim to meet the Mazda MV spec.

Old Maxlife was a good choice then they re-blended and made it too thin.

Last edited:
I used Amsoil Signature Series in my 07 Mazda6 and it was great. That first shift of the cold day was the smoothest I've felt and it stood up to abuse of autocross as well.

If you're at/near 30k miles you're at the perfect time.

Get the 10qt jug (2.5gal) and bring it to a shop with a fluid exchange machine. Don't let them add anything to it!

And after the service is complete park it, remove the - battery terminal, and wait 10 minutes and tap the brake pedal a few times to reset the ECU/TCU so it can re-learn shift points with the new fluid. Will be a noticeable difference. When you re-attach the battery, start the car and let it idle for ~10 minutes so the car can relearn idle. There's no idle control valve, it idles with the electronic throttle.

Did a drain/fill with MaxLife on my g/f's 2011 Mazda2 - immediate difference in shift quality; much smoother. Has ~60k miles and will do another drain/fill at the following two oil changes.

ML ATF is a good fit for her 4spd and a deal at WalMarts.

I use Amsoil ATF in my wife's 2006 Mazda 6 5-speed auto. Works very well. Shifts almost cannot be felt most of the time.

Don't forget that the Mazda 5-speed transmissions do have an internal filter inside the pan, and should be changed periodically (although there is no official recommendation from Mazda on doing this).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: aa1986

The closest I found was Castrol MV Import. It is thick enough to actually meet the MV spec unlike most fluids out there that claim to meet the Mazda MV spec.

Old Maxlife was a good choice then they re-blended and made it too thin.

Yes I was looking through the specs of the mainstream brands and I agree with you.

The price of genuine Mazda M5 is crazy - >$10 a quart (online - haven't asked a dealer yet).

In my research I found that Beck-Arnley are now selling OEM fluids including M5 as well as Toyota. Problem is that the price is no better than genuine M5. Idemitsu seemed slightly cheaper.

I also found something that suggested the base oils in M5 are similar to that in the original Mercon (not Mercon V), which may explain why the fluid apparently deteriorates so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back