To Change Or Not To Change: Mazda ATF FZ Trans Fluid

I plan on using Aisin's version of Mazda FZ ATF when I change the FF in my daughters CX-30.
After reading an older post by DBMaster where he said his Mazda's FF fluid still looked good when he changed it at 60K (IIRC) I plan to wait until 50K. My only real decision is whether I will still add a bottle of LG Red as I've done on every A/T I've ever owned/serviced. Thoughts?
PS: Even though I've used Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol IMV in my Toyota's and Hyundai's without issues I'll stick with one of the blue Mazda FZ type A/Ts on the Mazda (Aisin and Ravenol make them)...I don't want to take a chance on it causing issues.

I think I would trust Aisin to make a good clone of the OE fluid (reported to be made by Idemitsu) since Aisin was supposed to be involved in the design of the Skyactiv A/T.

I plan on using Aisin's version of Mazda FZ ATF when I change the FF in my daughters CX-30.
After reading an older post by DBMaster where he said his Mazda's FF fluid still looked good when he changed it at 60K (IIRC) I plan to wait until 50K. My only real decision is whether I will still add a bottle of LG Red as I've done on every A/T I've ever owned/serviced. Thoughts?
PS: Even though I've used Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol IMV in my Toyota's and Hyundai's without issues I'll stick with one of the blue Mazda FZ type A/Ts on the Mazda (Aisin and Ravenol make them)...I don't want to take a chance on it causing issues.
Wow, I remember that old post. That was some time ago. I currently have 129,000 miles on the car and I have not touched the transmission again.

I ended up doing a D&R on my daughters CX-30 in June at 37K.
I used Aisin's blue FZ equivalent ATF. The D&R took 4 quarts 6 ounces so I substituted 6 ounces of LG Red so as not to have to open another quart of FZ fluid. All seems well with no change in shifting.

The OE fluid that drained out was yellowish rather than blue but I believe someone else wrote that they observed the same thing when they drained their OE fluid. In other words the blue fluid turns yellowish in use. Besides the yellowish appearance the drained fluid looked and smelled fine.

(I verified the shop used MV fluid, which supposedly meets FZ spec
If the shop told you that, then they aren't qualified to work on Mazdas, since there is no published spec for FZ, and knowledgeable people have said there is no alternative. I would be hesitant to use that shop again.

I would stick with Mazda FZ ATF.

I bought 7 quarts of FZ on Amazon and will do drain / refill on 2018 CX5 in a few weeks.
No filter change…. just the ATF.

Hi, first post here. I had an oil analysis done at 79k for my Mazda cx-5. They felt oil was as good as 29k batch. Even suggested me to go another 30-40k. The oil was a sample before my double flush. Using this knowledge I'm pushing my cx 9.

Compare to other companies, that you have to do earlier ones cvt... American Vehicles cough cough. The long term ownership isn't too bad. Let says you want to hit 200k? Once is enough. If you are "concern about" metal shaving. My 2 cent, if that was a major issue. They probably told us to bring car in after 500 miles for a flush like a normal motor oil.

Atf system is very high tech if you look into it. So they probably made sure system is clean before filling.

Last note. Don't go cheap. Stick with oem att. It's the one thing that is super picky. I used one of those universal one for my Honda Accord and it crap out. After I switched to OEM, it went back to normal.

Took chance a few years back for a 2000 RAV4, such a old car I didn't care. Luckily it works. But in that case, I did a whole pan drop. 240k, aft was black.
Screenshot_20240202_022350_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Back