Almost hit a Pedestrian on a bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting on I-70 in Columbia, MO. As I was driving along the gray car to my right either doesn't see me or doesn't care. He goes from the far right lane to nearly hitting me and he would have had I not swerved to the left and hit the brakes. As soon as I am safe from him hitting me I am aimed straight at a bicycle rider between the two left lanes and three right lanes. What does this rider think he is doing? See how calm he looks? I just had to post this crazy incident.

picture 1.JPG

picture 2.JPG

picture 3.JPG

Normally I would ask why a bicyclist is on a major highway, but you did mention that this is in MO, which always seems to have some of the slowest drivers on the planet (usually closer to St Louis, however).
I'm guessing he feels that he can keep up with traffic on there.

BC.

That is true. There are some very slow drivers. My best guess is he was riding on the right shoulder of the interstate and at this point he needed to cross over to the right to continue to ride along the shoulder. Then again, coming that close to death and being so calm I wouldn't doubt if he was on drugs and thought he could keep up lol.

My State the law says bicyclists have to abide by car traffic laws but the Police don't enforce it. If that was a car parked in the gore zone and your weren't broke down that's a $125 dollar fine. Yes they think their something special class with special rights. I used to live on a small secondary road by lake Washington on weekend they'd have events riding down our roads. When forty or so of the would come to a all way stop intersection they would just go through the sign. No don't get me started I ride a bike I obey they laws of the road but most bikers are jerks I'll freely admit it.

Originally Posted by mk378
Bicycles and pedestrians aren't allowed on an Interstate, at all.

Not true in all instances. There are some exceptions by state or by specific areas of the interstate (such as portions of I-70 in Colorado.) Some states allow usage on all portions outside of urban areas.

I know it is in Missouri and I would bet it is in all 50 states. Just to dangerous. For example when this happened as close as he was I didn't even have enough time to notice he was on a bike. It happened to fast and I had to much to pay attention to. Looks even scarier on the video.

About a dozen states allow riding on the Interstates and some others allow riding on portions of the Interstate.

Missouri allows riding on the shoulders of the Interstate but not in the vehicle lanes.

Oh wow. Not very smart to allow it but there are some other crazy things/people I have heard are in California

Q Can I ride my bicycle on the freeway?

A.
Of the more than 4,000 miles of freeways in California, about 1,000 miles are open to bicyclists. These open sections are usually in rural areas where there is no alternate route. California Vehicle Code Section 21960 says Caltrans and local agencies may prohibit bicyclists from traveling on freeways under their jurisdiction and that they must erect signs stating the prohibition. There are no signs permitting bicyclists on freeways. When a bicyclist is legally traveling on a freeway, he/she may be directed off the freeway at the next off-ramp by a sign that says "Bicycles Must Exit." The freeway will be posted at the next on-ramp with a sign that says "Bicycles Prohibited."

Interesting that MO still allows it but Kansas doesn't.. all states vary it seems. To him ehh it was just another day! I've seen my fair share of incidents.. my typical response is WELL that was interesting!

As well as going 5 or 10 MPH over the limit, cruising in the left lane without passing other vehicles, using a blinker to change lanes, etc....

Those are not enforced all that often either.

Originally Posted by Chris142

They are in California

As long as there are on-ramps, bikes shouldn't be on Interstates. If the rider wasn't frightened, he should have been.

Originally Posted by 99Eclipse
Here is a face pic. It may be easier to see it on this computer but he seems very calm.

He's probably packing

A good way to go to your grave early,,, common sense is not always readily available in some states..

Wouldn't a person on foot be a pedestrian and a person on a bicycle a cyclist?
21.gif

I know that makes me pedantic but someone had to say it.

Originally Posted by supton
Wouldn't a person on foot be a pedestrian and a person on a bicycle a cyclist?
21.gif

I know that makes me pedantic but someone had to say it.

Well, I see what you mean, my mistake, although, now that you say that and I look at the video he is "on" the bicycle but slightly walks it along when he hears me laying on the horn, not riding it using the pedals. Basically walking the bike. Before that he was just setting on it. I guess if we assume he was riding it earlier he would be a bicyclist, if he just sits on it as current and walks the bike along maybe he is actually a pedestrian on a bike. Although I can only see that on the video. Technically it may be a lot trickier to say than what it should be. Now I will be thinking about that for half an hour.
grin.gif
I should just stick to trying to type with proper english and grammar first.

pe·des·tri·an
pəˈdestrēən/Submit
noun
a person walking along a road or in a developed area.
synonyms: walker, person on foot; foot traffic
"accidents involving pedestrians"

A bicycle, also called a cycle or bike, is a human-powered or motor-powered, pedal-driven, single-track vehicle, having two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other. A bicycle rider is called a cyclist, or bicyclist.

walker or rider.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back