Almost burned by "mobile programmer"

For those that aren't aware: I'm an ASE tech working for a medium-size indy shop in the Twin Cities. We don't do any flash programming in house, the economics have never made sense in our situation. Therefore, we rely on a mobile programming "expert" should the need arise. He's a bit... goofy, however he does great work 99% of the time.

Today, I encountered his 1%. Carrying over from the "What are you working on today" thread, yesterday I replaced the electric rack and pinion in a 2014 Explorer. Straight forward job... save one aspect: the FIRST instruction in the Ford service information directed the technician to download the config from the original PSCM, install the new rack, then upload said config to the new PSCM. To clarify: the PSCM is the Power Steering Control Module.

We checked with computer man ahead of time, to which he replied "go ahead and swap, I can upload the config after the fact". Surprise, surprise... he was incorrect. After programming, I was greeted with a "Service Lane Keep Assist" message. This particular truck isn't equipped with LKA... but when we called said guy back in, he claimed "the LKA module failed...".

Long story short, I've now had to remove the original EPS motor/module from the core rack, I have to jam it up and plug it in to the vehicle to allow him to download the config, and reconnect the new rack for upload. Absolute cluster...

As built programming on Ford products never made sense to me
Just let me make on car offline choices for how this particular vehicle is equipped
it’s just how their volvo based tech is. you just can’t carry all this stuff onboard like the old days

ford needs to get with the times and completely lock the aftermarket out of all programming. mb volvo and soon jlr are doing this with resounding success

Last edited:
Sometimes things don't go as planned, despite our efforts to be proactive. This is one of the reasons I left the industry, I was tired of the BS, on so many levels. The one positive to take from your experience is, there's a solution on the horizon.

Thank you for being part of this site @14Accent , I value your input.

I can't tell you how much your comment means... I appreciate that to my core GSCJR.

How much cheaper was he than getting it programmed at the Ford dealer?

I don't deal with prices... however I believe he charged about $180, which is more or less what the dealer rate for 1hr of labor (standard for module flashing) charges.

Normally you absolutely can do the as built config without the original module, same as if the module is no comm. It sounds like Ford has the wrong as built on the server for it, that should have been automatic as built as new as it is. I have done that exact module before.

Could've of used Forscan to configure the module to "As Built"......As Built data is also on the Motorcraft website.

I used to think the same way, That programming in-house was not worth it when working on so many different marques. Now.....I highly recommend getting your feet wet with some GM programming using a J2534 pass thru. Then move on to Ford & so on.

The more experience you gain, You'll quickly realize that programming in-house is much more efficient. For me it was GM 6Lx0E TCM's that pushed me to learn it......One week I did 2 6L80E builds with new TCM's, And TCM replacements on a 6L50E, a 6L90E, & a 6L80E. That's $750 & I had to jockey the vehicles around & charge the batteries for Mr. Programming Princess.
It's much easier for me too program as I go & the instance above....Would've cost me $200 AND I would've had unlimited programming access to ALL modules on those vehicles for 2 years.....GM exclusive deal, But does come in handy when a vehicles needs another module programmed within those 2 years.

From your posts.....Your shop pumps out vehicles at a pretty good rate?? Which makes even more sense to have programming equipment than my little 2 bay/3 lift operation.

The only downside.....You will likely be the only guy in the shop that's willing to learn it, Which can cause issues if you have to go around finishing jobs for other mechanics.

Normally you absolutely can do the as built config without the original module, same as if the module is no comm. It sounds like Ford has the wrong as built on the server for it, that should have been automatic as built as new as it is. I have done that exact module before.

That's where Forscan can be a life saver with a "custom" configuration. Not that incorrect As Built configurations on the Motorcraft Service website is a common occurrence.
Of coarse there are the modules that have been configured differently than As Built by a previous owner & the current owners expect to have all the features they grew accustom too.

Not sure what you have for a scan tool, but the last time I had to write As-Built data to a Ford I did it with my Autel Ultra.

Could've of used Forscan to configure the module to "As Built"......As Built data is also on the Motorcraft website.

I used to think the same way, That programming in-house was not worth it when working on so many different marques. Now.....I highly recommend getting your feet wet with some GM programming using a J2534 pass thru. Then move on to Ford & so on.

The more experience you gain, You'll quickly realize that programming in-house is much more efficient. For me it was GM 6Lx0E TCM's that pushed me to learn it......One week I did 2 6L80E builds with new TCM's, And TCM replacements on a 6L50E, a 6L90E, & a 6L80E. That's $750 & I had to jockey the vehicles around & charge the batteries for Mr. Programming Princess.
It's much easier for me too program as I go & the instance above....Would've cost me $200 AND I would've had unlimited programming access to ALL modules on those vehicles for 2 years.....GM exclusive deal, But does come in handy when a vehicles needs another module programmed within those 2 years.

From your posts.....Your shop pumps out vehicles at a pretty good rate?? Which makes even more sense to have programming equipment than my little 2 bay/3 lift operation.

The only downside.....You will likely be the only guy in the shop that's willing to learn it, Which can cause issues if you have to go around finishing jobs for other mechanics.

Clinebarger: I truly appreciate your feedback, and couldn't agree more. However, as much as I would love to expand into flashing modules... you hit the nail on the head. I would end up being the "go to". Not a huge issue in and among itself, but I already play the "role roulette" game daily.

Our ASE master tech doesn't "do" tire mounting, he doesn't "do" alignments, and his diagnostic skills leave much to be desired. He's an amazing technician, but he's checked out. I honestly see him, with all due respect, as a rent a tool service at this point. I can't afford to purchase the amount and variety of both regular and specialty tools he's acquired over the last 25+ years, and he allows me to borrow whatever I may need during the course of the day should I need to. It's true teamwork.

Back to my point: I myself can't take on another aspect of auto repair right now. As it is, I'm answering phones when needed or cashing out customers or swapping out the darn towels in the dispenser to dry my hands. I'd rather have the occasional hiccup than bring another task in-house.

Our ASE master tech doesn't "do" tire mounting, he doesn't "do" alignments, and his diagnostic skills leave much to be desired. He's an amazing technician, but he's checked out. I honestly see him, with all due respect, as a rent a tool service at this point. I can't afford to purchase the amount and variety of both regular and specialty tools he's acquired over the last 25+ years, and he allows me to borrow whatever I may need during the course of the day should I need to.
This is amazing to me. As an ASE master myself, that is part of making things go. Solving problems, and doing all the crap work everyone in a shop has to do, ie. tires, alignments, brakes, cleaning up after yourself, etc.

Back