Almond milk.

Anyone here drink almond milk? It's all my girlfriend drinks, she's a total workout and health nut and swears by it. We always bought out separate milks. Me, my 2% cow's milk, and her, the almond milk. I always made fun, but curiosity got the best of me and I tried a glass of it just now, and it tastes exactly like cow's whole milk. I literally can't taste the difference. I really like it!

How is this stuff health wise compared to cow's milk?

Neither are healthy.

Cows milk is predominantly sugar.

Almond milk (plain) is basically a step above water. If the almond milk you're consuming tastes good, it's flavored and it's loaded with sweetners. There are a bunch of different kinds of almond milk, so you'll have to look at your nutrition label.

I'm a big oat milk fan. I don't eat it because it's any healthier, and I'm not lactose intolerant. But the taste is good, and it is easier to digest than dairy.

She buys the unsweetened HEB Organics one.

Fat-3g
Saturated Fat- 0g
Cholesterol-0g
Sodium-170mg
Total Carbohydrates-1g
Total Sugars-0g
Protien-1g

We tried it for a bit years ago as we thought one of our daughters might be lactose intollerant - she wasn't. Tasted OK but health wise it wasn't as good. The benefit of regular milk is the protein.

If your looking for healthier give a look at Fairlife - its in a red bottle with the milk if your store has it. Its milk that they filter the lactose out, and it also has half the sugar and a lot more protein than regular milk - how I have no idea, but thats what the label indicates. We found it totally by accident when we were looking for lactose free for our really old cat. Turns out we like it too.

My gallon of 2% cow's milk only has 8g of protein. Something I like about the almond milk is the 0g of sugar.

Blue Diamond is our favorite, not worried about the health benefits, can't tolerate reg milk, plus it tastes better. :D
1667620071216.jpg

Oat milk all the way. I gave up dairy months ago and it's changed my life. Every once in a while I cheat with ice cream, but for the most part, I feel amazing.

I also have an autoimmune disease that requires Humira (immune suppressor injections) to control. I have become 90% vegetarian, and I no longer need the injections to control the autoimmune disease. Paper after paper is coming out linking animal protein to inflammation. I allow a cheat meal once every couple of weeks for a good burger or something like that, but I'll never go back. Plant based protein shakes are my go-to food.

If it didn't come from teats, then it's not milk.

My coworker used to say that every time he heard oat/almond/soy milk, etc. being referenced. As I get older, I started to become more lactose intolerant. We buy unsweetened variety of oat/almond/soy water whenever possible to have with cereal or shakes.

I know lots of people have various issues that can be helped with diet / vegetarian / vegan - so that's good.

My wife has thyroid problems - your thyroid controls your metabolism. And Soy blocks your thyroid from working - she can't have any. So Soy protein isn't for everyone either. If it helps you that's perfect - but were not one size fits all.

My perspective is humans eyes point forward. Were predators as a species - or just really screwed up maybe. I follow the caveman diet mostly.

Its still very possible cows milk is bad - it wasn't intended for us, it was intended for baby cows.

Oat milk all the way. I gave up dairy months ago and it's changed my life. Every once in a while I cheat with ice cream, but for the most part, I feel amazing.

I also have an autoimmune disease that requires Humira (immune suppressor injections) to control. I have become 90% vegetarian, and I no longer need the injections to control the autoimmune disease. Paper after paper is coming out linking animal protein to inflammation. I allow a cheat meal once every couple of weeks for a good burger or something like that, but I'll never go back. Plant based protein shakes are my go-to food.
Check out the glyphosate tests done on Oat Milk brands. It is pretty shocking.

I use the Kirkland unsweetened almond milk from Costco when I make smoothies. I don't love it by itself, but the other ingredients in the smoothie overpower the flavour of the almond milk.

Almond milk is super high in oxalates, which bind to calcium and magnesium, not allowing their absorption and forming kidney stones.
Oat milk is super high in phytic acid, which is an anti-nutrient, blocking the absorption of nutrients.

Get raw dairy if you can (realmilk.com), otherwise buy grassfed.
I have the advantage of being part of the 30ish% of the population that doesn't become lactose intolerant into adulthood, so I love dairy milk. Way better for you than plant "milk" as well IMHO (that's based on science).

Glyphosate is a BIG worry with any plant food! Definitely not something you want in your body.

Sorry but this is not a logical conclusion. A cup of whole milk (240 grams) contains 11 grams of sugar. 11/240 = 4.5% sugar...

Paper after paper is coming out linking animal protein to inflammation.

Meat does not cause inflammation and I challenge you to find ANY paper that proves it does. There exist a bunch of meta-analyses of epidemiological studies that show some correlation. Correlation is not causation and epidemiology is terrible nutrition science.

Almond milk is super high in oxalates, which bind to calcium and magnesium, not allowing their absorption and forming kidney stones.
Oat milk is super high in phytic acid, which is an anti-nutrient, blocking the absorption of nutrients.

Get raw dairy if you can (realmilk.com), otherwise buy grassfed.
I have the advantage of being part of the 30ish% of the population that doesn't become lactose intolerant into adulthood, so I love dairy milk. Way better for you than plant "milk" as well IMHO (that's based on science).

Glyphosate is a BIG worry with any plant food! Definitely not something you want in your body.

Sorry but this is not a logical conclusion. A cup of whole milk (240 grams) contains 11 grams of sugar. 11/240 = 4.5% sugar...

Meat does not cause inflammation and I challenge you to find ANY paper that proves it does. There exist a bunch of meta-analyses of epidemiological studies that show some correlation. Correlation is not causation and epidemiology is terrible nutrition science.
My C-Reactive Protein numbers are down since eliminating the bulk of the animal protein from my diet-- took about 3 months. I'm not a dietician, but I'd be open to listening to what other variable might be responsible for that. The diet is what changed in my life, not much else. I've always exercised and been active.

Again, I'm not a dietician, but I don't see Canola oil in my oat milk, and the added sugars are 3g, contradictory to what the article states. I won't reject it completely, but it sounds like there's an agenda there. I'm willing to accept that all solutions have issues, much like everything else in this world. Comparing what oats do to soil with mega-thirsty almond trees in California...................

Neither are healthy.

Almond milk (plain) is basically a step above water. If the almond milk you're consuming tastes good, it's flavored and it's loaded with sweetners. There are a bunch of different kinds of almond milk, so you'll have to look at your nutrition label.

I'm a big oat milk fan. I don't eat it because it's any healthier, and I'm not lactose intolerant. But the taste is good, and it is easier to digest than dairy.
Probably a big dose of glutten in your oat milk.

Back