All-Synthetic Oil Filter Media made of what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Well - it depends upon how you define "synthetic" media ...
You know, because real synthetic media is "better" than fake synthetic media. Wait - no - that's oil. But I thought I remember hearing paper is better than plastic because it's better for the environment????

Tell me why this important again ????
21.gif
grin2.gif

Cut out the sarcastic comments. Its "important" because I'm curious when it comes to engineering the media. Satisfied with that? .... One example: Is it "important" that Yokohama used walnut shell pieces in their winter tires? I guess that would bore you. To me its cool.

It was a joke.
It was intended for those who have been here a long time.
It was a play on the incessant argument of those who think only PAOs are "real synthetics".
It apparently went over your head.

My apologies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: hatt
If you're clogging up paper filters with dirt and engine parts I suggest you make sure your AAA is up to date. So what if syn filters hold more if you don't need it.

We are enthusiasts here and want the best, most reserve capacity, thats "what". You never know when your engine might need it, can't predict the future.

Some are enthusiasts. Some others are simply lube and filter bigots. There is a fine line between the two here.

I've run a few cellulose filters for both 10k and 15k miles on single sump loads. UOAs and filter autopsy showed everything was fine.

No one "needs" a syn filter for any kind of normal interval. There is already a HUGE amount of reserve capacity in normal products. In a healthy engine, dino oils can typically go 2x or 3x longer than most would try. Normal filters can do the same. One's fear of needing reserve capacity (the age old "cheap insurance" mantra) is grossly overblown, and I have the personal data to prove it. Now, I am not saying every single application can do this, but my point to my testing was to prove there's already plenty of excess ability in "normal" products. If your normal OCI is 5k miles, and you fear you may over-run the OCI by a few thousand miles, then you don't "need" a syn lube and syn filter. You may want them for peace of mind, and it may help you sleep well at night, but your engine does not "need" them. On top of that, the SAE study (2007-01-4133) also shows that O/FCIs with normal products can go way longer than folks think. Not that all products and equipment can do it, but most can.

BTW - if cellulose filters are so prone to elongation and disfigurement, then why is it that only the synthetic media filters need a wire backer to keep their form? Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Donaldson states:

Originally Posted By: Donaldson
Synteq™ Media (Full Synthetic)
This engine lube filter media is constructed of layered, micro-fiberglass synthetic fibers and is trademarked Synteq™. It provides enhanced durability for extended drain intervals while maintaining or improving efficiency and capacity. Donaldson Synteq lube media also offers lower restriction. Low restriction allows better flow, which ensures component protection over a larger range of engine conditions.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/068312.pdf

Originally Posted By: hatt
If you're clogging up paper filters with dirt and engine parts I suggest you make sure your AAA is up to date. So what if syn filters hold more if you don't need it.

I had/have a lot of dirt in my engine. I started to use a paper filter with around twice the capacity of the factory spec filter. Some like me may need the extra capacity.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Donaldson states:

Originally Posted By: Donaldson
Synteq™ Media (Full Synthetic)
This engine lube filter media is constructed of layered, micro-fiberglass synthetic fibers and is trademarked Synteq™. It provides enhanced durability for extended drain intervals while maintaining or improving efficiency and capacity. Donaldson Synteq lube media also offers lower restriction. Low restriction allows better flow, which ensures component protection over a larger range of engine conditions.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/068312.pdf

An interesting read! They do appear to use just glass fibers alone (no plastic fibers to reinforce), per their description. Surprising to me, since you'd think the brittle glass fibers need some strength enhancement. ....... Except for one description of an enhanced Synteq media (hydraulic apps) that mixes in epoxy resin into the glass fiber base media. Also, I found it interesting they offer epoxy-coated stainless steel woven mesh, with holes from 150 microns down to 44 microns.

Also, the SEM microscopic views show the thin fibers of the synthetic media compared to paper-cellulose types, getting better dirt holding capacity with lower micron filtration before clogging of course.

Yep
smile.gif

Donaldson is the company that pioneered synthetic glass media filtration, so they have a LOT of information on it, though their site isn't the best to navigate unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back