All reaction scores set to zero

wwillson

Staff member
It has come to the attention of the mod team that for some members the accumulation of reaction scores became a contest. This distorted and devalued the purpose of members' reaction scores.

We considered several options, including completely removing the ability to 'like'. We all felt that 'liking' a post does have value, but competing for the highest reactions score is detrimental to BITOG. Therefore, we decided the best balance is to zero all reaction scores while retaining the ability to 'like'. Likes will be zeroed periodically and will accumulate between resets.

Thanks for understanding.

100% agree with the reaction score. Thank you.

My only issue with removing the Like feature would be that it will bring back posters' quoting other posts and just adding 'I agree' or something. Liking posts is the much lesser of two evils.
Plus it would cause a bunch of unwanted PMS about hey buddy I loved your post...

No, the 'score' is zeroed in the database, so it no longer exists.

When you click the member section at the top of the page, it shows reaction score with you currently lead with "4" likes.

Could it be programmed to only count "liked" posts and not the laughing, angry, shocking, etc.... reactions?

EDIT: Just saw that you zero'd it again. lol

Agreed and that's one of the reason we like the ability to 'like'. I often appreciate a post, but don't have anything to add, so I 'like' it.
It does save having to type a response … but carpet bombing comes with it …

I'm not going to sit here and argue for them, but won't the competition just continue in -between resets? Why not just allow reactions on posts but not have a tally kept anywhere?

I'm not going to sit here and argue for them, but won't the competition just continue in -between resets? Why not just allow reactions on posts but not have a tally kept anywhere?

Make it a season thing on BITOG. Reset at midnight on the first of each month with checkpoints every week.

Monthly winners.

1. +100
2. +50
3. +25
4. +10
5. +5

In-progress weekly winners checked every Monday or whatever.

1. +5
2. +4
3. +3
4. +2
5. +1

The member with the most points at the end of the year gets an avatar with a picture of a pig that says "attention hog" that they can proudly wear for the next year.

Good idea, the "like" feature is a great idea, but I was unaware there was a behind the scenes competition going on. IMO "like" saves bandwidth, and eliminates a lot of +1 posts from before "like" existed here. I'd leave "like" with no reaction score at all and call it a day.

Back