All the locked threads...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible, but we aren't actively looking now. All of our mods were hand picked because they stood out as rational, intelligent, care about BITOG, etc. Our mod team is fantastic and put in a lot more hours on this site than most people understand. Have you thanked a mod today?
Thank you, Mr. Wayne

Since we're having a serious discussion here, let's look at this thread and how it's devolved.
I'm not saying the following to taunt anyone or embarrass any member, but some of you need a reality check.
So I offer my tongue-in-cheek retort. (Sorta kidding here; sorta not).

Let's review a few things mentioned so far ...
- the GaOT forum
- the definition of bickering
- post your latest (insert activity here)
- 0w-5 in the Navigator
- dP
- bypassing the word filter
- spun rods on a crankshaft
- how things go on FB
- are all the Mods real people?
- being flown away in a black helicopter
- what's the best ... ?
- are we adding moderators?

This thread is benign; nothing inherrently wrong so far and no rules broken, so it lives on. In and of themselves, none of those things I mentioned above are terrible, but tell me how any of those things truly contributed in a meaningful manner to the topic at hand?

TiGeo asked a reasonable question ...
Q: Why do threads get locked?
A: Because the threads:
- are too old to be relevant
- or someone has purposely attempted to stir up old problems
- or new problems are blooming quickly and the Mods need time to sort things out without the thread continuing to spiral out of control
- or involve a violation of our Rules and Standard of Conduct.

One page max is all it would have taken to reasonably discuss this topic.
We're on page five, with no end in sight, because staying on-point is just a foreign concept to some of you. Some members have publically stated that they "don't do social media", and yet treat BITOG like a mental county-dump; the hyposcrisy is palpable! And folks wonder why threads go off the rails and get shut down?

I applaud TiGeo for asking a decent, sincere question.
I commend my fellow staffers for giving good answers.

The rest of this is the typical BITOG blabbering, and at times, it warrants moderation.
Give it time ... someone will turn this thread sideways and it'll get shut down, cuz sum ya'll just can't help yourselves. ;)

Last edited:
Since we're having a serious discussion here, let's look at this thread and how it's devolved.
I'm not saying the following to taunt anyone or embarrass any member, but some of you need a reality check.

- the GaOT forum
- 0w-5 in the Navigator
- dP
- how things go on FB
- what's the best ... ?

This thread is benign; nothing inherrently wrong so far and no rules broken, so it lives on. In and of themselves, none of those things I mentioned above are terrible, but tell me how any of those things truly contributed in a meaningful manner to the topic at hand?

- or new problems are blooming quickly and the Mods need time to sort things out without the thread continuing to spiral out of control

We're on page five, with no end in sight, because staying on-point is just a foreign concept to some of you. Some members have publically stated that they "don't do social media", and yet treat BITOG like a mental county-dump; the hyposcrisy is palpable! And folks wonder why threads go off the rails and get shut down?

The rest of this is the typical BITOG blabbering, and at times, it warrants moderation.
Give it time ... someone will turn this thread sideways and it'll get shut down, cuz sum ya'll just can't help yourselves. ;)
IBTL 🔒 🤣

- the GaOT forum
- 0w-5 in the Navigator
- dP
- how things go on FB
- what's the best ... ?

(y) Moderators (dont even know how many or even who you all are) do a great and kind job (a thank less one) and likely go overboard by cutting folks slack and not locking , deleting or getting on some of us as often as they could. Thanks to all and anyone who keeps this board as good as it is run.

This is yet another example of contradictory over moderation that takes place here. I just had one of my posts deleted that really was completely uncalled for. And downright silly. The post was in the "High School Reunions" thread, that stood for several days. In the thread I used "P...I...T...A" in a description.

I have used this term several times in many other posts, and much like the word "crap", it NEVER triggered ANY "profanity filter".... Ever. So I had zero reason to believe there was a problem with using it. Realistically, why would I?

Then, earlier this evening when I looked at the post, (because I had received a "like" on it), I noticed that the "P...I...T...A" was all of a sudden replaced by 4 asterisks. So the post was obviously edited by a moderator. (I don't know who).

So at this point it became apparent to me for the first time, that suddenly, after a lot of usage, "P...I...T...A..." has now become unusable. OK, fine. Not a problem. Then, about an hour or so later, the entire post disappeared. This occurred after it was already "corrected" by a moderator.

And in my "alert box" was a message telling me the post was deleted because I, "bypassed the, "profanity filter". Which of course I did not. Or else "P...I...T...A" would have never appeared in the first place, in ANY post I ever used it in.... Along with a "scolding" telling me that I am literate, and should not use such, "profanity".

So..... Why not let the post stand with the asterisks, (as it did for a length of time), and which were obviously added by a moderator to begin with, long after the post was originally entered? (There wasn't anything at all "wrong" with it at that point).

There was zero reason to delete the entire post after the fact. Or after it was already edited by a moderator. Is that supposed to be some type of abstract, "punishment"? Or..... Are the moderators being moderated as well? It has to be one of the 2.

If all threads stayed 100% on topic on this board, or any other board on Earth for that matter, there wouldn't be many of them that fit that mold. If they were all locked or deleted because of not staying 100% on topic, there wouldn't be that many active or existing threads left on any of those chat boards.

No chat board I've ever seen is ran like a court room where super stringent behavior is controlled by the court. Without that kind of super control, every question or comment that goes off topic can sometimes have a tendency to sprout into other related side discussions along the way ... it happens in almost every thread. And that can actually also be a good thing, not always bad. And sometimes people inject some comments with a sense of humor, which frankly is somewhat entertaining at times and helps lighten up some of the "bickering" (debating isn't always "bickering" - it's all in the style).

Threads tend to "self extinguish" if given a chance. When they go totally sideways and start becoming battles on a personal attack level, then it's a good time for a Mod to say something in the thread early on, or lock them if too far gone (which obviously happens). Every time I've actually seen a Mod make an actual comment in the thread to "knock it off", or "please stay more on topic" it seems to work. If someone is stupid enough to carry on after that, then give them a short warning via PM or a vacation.

As others have said, this board is way more mellow and civil then the majority of them, except for maybe grandma's sewing forum, lol. See what I did there (ref the humor comments). ;) 😄

Last edited:
There is a topic just above this one that explains how to ask questions of moderators. As several posts above fall under that policy and staff have replied to the original post this is closed

Directly above that topic is the Standard of Conduct and at the bottom of every page is a link to the Forum Rules and Terms and Conditions. Everyone who joins BITOG and posts agreed to follow those rules. Read them frequently, we all made a commitment to abide by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back