All New 2021/2022 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by maximus
Good time to snag a 2020 cheap??

New trucks are not cheap. Look at the list price-then take (depending on manufacturer)-$10,000.00 to $12,000.00) off the MSRP-still "not cheap".

My 2018 Silverado LTZ Listed at $54,000.00-purchase price $43,000.00 NOT CHEAP.

Last edited:
I actually really like the look of the one in the second pic. The grille reminds me a little of the "egg crate" grilles from the '80s. I bet that trim on a Super Cab in dark blue, dark green, or black would be a nice looking truck.

Originally Posted by fsdork
I am very excited for the Powerboost to hit the used market after someone else takes the depreciation hit from new and beta tests them. Depending on how the vehicle manages replenishment of the hybrid battery when the truck is parked and the inverter is being used, this could be a game changer for camping with a travel trailer and no electrical hookups, not to mention the available assist from the electric motor(s) while towing.

Eager to see how they manage the maintenance system when the truck is being used as a genset.

Ford determined every hour of idle time is about 33 miles of wear with police vehicles.

A construction guy that that turns his truck into a genset for X hours a day for 5 years will put a ton of rotational cycles on that engine

I see this in sprinters that idle for AC and run dual alternators.

UD

The front looks like a Sierra because GMC copied the 2015 headlight design. If Toyota didn't exist, I'd be driving an F-150.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
I am very excited for the Powerboost to hit the used market after someone else takes the depreciation hit from new and beta tests them. Depending on how the vehicle manages replenishment of the hybrid battery when the truck is parked and the inverter is being used, this could be a game changer for camping with a travel trailer and no electrical hookups, not to mention the available assist from the electric motor(s) while towing.

Eager to see how they manage the maintenance system when the truck is being used as a genset.

Ford determined every hour of idle time is about 33 miles of wear with police vehicles.

A construction guy that that turns his truck into a genset for X hours a day for 5 years will put a ton of rotational cycles on that engine

UD

My Silverado has a setting that monitors engine hours.

How long before the typical batch of "Furd" recalls ??. Have driven some ecoboost models both rental and when I worked @ dealers VERY impressed by the power of the V6 Turbo. But poor quality and numerous recalls turns me off ford.

Dave

Originally Posted by CKN
That being said-they are evolutionary-and will keep Ford owners with older trucks in the Ford pickup family when time to buy new. However-they will have very little conquest sales from other manufacturers.

All depends on what you want to do with your truck. If you use it for doing things (work, camping, outdoor recreation) there's plenty that make it make more sense than the others.

I saw a bunch of neat things that are standouts.
The integrated generator could be huge for the camping crowd. Even at the low end of 2kw it could work for a smaller trailer or a quick stop where you want to grab something to eat. Or for a camper with a regular fridge - it could stay running on the road. The other trailer stuff is very useful and I think only GM offers all the cameras.
The "work tailgate" seems interesting and the integrated tiedown points on the side address 1 huge pain point for many that carry loads that extend out of the bed.
The driver assist stuff id nice and the one thing that would be very useful is the parallel parking. I hate parallel parking ours because it's so big. Having it do it for itself would be awesome.
They did do some interior upgrades and it looks good - love the digital gauges.
Powertrains were already some of the best - hopefully they tuned the 10 speed a little better. The hybrid looks interesting.

Others were OK
Not so sure about the usefulness of the reclining seats though.
Styling - it's a Ford. Nothing revolutionary but still looks good
The lighting stuff is neat but not user on the usefullness
Still needs easier access to the bed - GM's side steps are very useful
Trick tailgate would have been nice - at least a side to side and up and down opening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84
How long before the typical batch of "Furd" recalls ??. Have driven some ecoboost models both rental and when I worked @ dealers VERY impressed by the power of the V6 Turbo. But poor quality and numerous recalls turns me off ford.

Dave

With a handle like gmguy and a signature of all GM vehicles, I doubt you'll ever be buying an ecoboost Ford. Recalls don't really bother me. Ignition switches that keep getting installed by a manufacturer (GM) that are killing people do.

Nice looking truck. WAY outside my price range as most new truck are but they got the styling right. Both the Ford and Ram are good looking trucks. The new Chevy is just awful looking in my opinion.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Does it still use rear leaf springs?

Yup, there is a pdf file on the OP's link with specs.

Originally Posted by CKN

UD

Is that tied into the oil life monitor?

Originally Posted by CKN

UD

Is that tied into the oil life monitor?

Yes

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Dave

With a handle like gmguy and a signature of all GM vehicles, I doubt you'll ever be buying an ecoboost Ford. Recalls don't really bother me. Ignition switches that keep getting installed by a manufacturer (GM) that are killing people do.

From what I have seen and read and watched past years. Ecoboost engines have a high failure rate and $$$$ repair cost=PASS !!

Per Wikipedia:

Safety and recalls
See also: Ford_Escape § Safety_and_recalls
In 2013, Ford has recalled certain Ford Escapes equipped with this engine due to the potential for them to catch fire after overheating.[29]

In 2017, Ford recalled over 360,000 Ford Escape, Ford Fiesta ST, Ford Fusion, Ford Transit Connect, Ford Focus and C-Max hybrid with 1.6 ecoboost engines because of a risk of engine fires caused by a "lack of coolant circulation". There were 29 fires in the U.S. and Canada reported to Ford. The recall partly contributed to a charge of US$300 million by Ford.[30][31]

Ford recall deaths ?? Really wanna go there.

Ford explorer Firestone crisis 2000

From Wikipedia:

The Firestone and Ford tire controversy was a period of unusually high failures of P235/75R15 ATX, ATX II, and Wilderness AT Firestone tires installed on the Ford Explorer and other related vehicles. The tire failures are linked to 271 fatalities and over eight hundred injuries in the United States with more injuries and fatalities occurring internationally, it led Bridgestone/Firestone and Ford Motor Company to recall and replace 23 million tires

Ford cruise control fires

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-cruise-control-deactivation-switch-recalls-and-history/

Ford Pinto fire deaths

Oh ya few years ago, I drove a '05 Z71 5.3 Silverado with 285K miles on a knocking engine with 10-15 PSI oil pressure for 1 year on mobil 1/Lucas oil stabilizer and she kept on going till the day i sold her. I hardly doubt any F-series could do that, Let alone a "ecoboost-blewmywallet"

Dave

Last edited:

From what I have seen and read and watched past years. Ecoboost engines have a high failure rate and $$$$ repair cost=PASS !!

Nonsense. I have 2 Ecoboost F150's and one V8 F150, they've been just fine.

Originally Posted by Cujet

Nonsense. I have 2 Ecoboost F150's and one V8 F150, they've been just fine.

The question really is how long and how many miles of what sort of driving.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Dave

Per Wikipedia:

Safety and recalls
See also: Ford_Escape § Safety_and_recalls
In 2013, Ford has recalled certain Ford Escapes equipped with this engine due to the potential for them to catch fire after overheating.[29]

In 2017, Ford recalled over 360,000 Ford Escape, Ford Fiesta ST, Ford Fusion, Ford Transit Connect, Ford Focus and C-Max hybrid with 1.6 ecoboost engines because of a risk of engine fires caused by a "lack of coolant circulation". There were 29 fires in the U.S. and Canada reported to Ford. The recall partly contributed to a charge of US$300 million by Ford.[30][31]

Ford recall deaths ?? Really wanna go there.

Ford explorer Firestone crisis 2000

From Wikipedia:

The Firestone and Ford tire controversy was a period of unusually high failures of P235/75R15 ATX, ATX II, and Wilderness AT Firestone tires installed on the Ford Explorer and other related vehicles. The tire failures are linked to 271 fatalities and over eight hundred injuries in the United States with more injuries and fatalities occurring internationally, it led Bridgestone/Firestone and Ford Motor Company to recall and replace 23 million tires

Ford cruise control fires

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-cruise-control-deactivation-switch-recalls-and-history/

Ford Pinto fire deaths

Oh ya few years ago, I drove a '05 Z71 5.3 Silverado with 285K miles on a knocking engine with 10-15 PSI oil pressure for 1 year on mobil 1/Lucas oil stabilizer and she kept on going till the day i sold her. I hardly doubt any F-series could do that, Let alone a "ecoboost-blewmywallet"

Dave

Why you worry?

Originally Posted by CKN

Yes

Cool thats how it should be -any idea what penalty gets gets assigned to an hour of idling?

For the Ford Im interested to know if they will use a variable speed idle to make 7.2 KW vs a fixed higher, or standard idle speed.

UD

[A touch of sarcasm] You are right, the Ford 2.7L Ecoboost maintained oil pressure is still going strong at 370K miles. More seriously, the Ford Ecoboost engines do not have many of the limitations of older designs. The 2.7L has a compacted graphite iron block, along with very tough pistons, an iron insert for the compression ring (like diesel engines) , chrome faced rings, offset rod bearing caps, reverse flow cooling, integral exhaust manifolds that flow perfectly and so on. They are tough and powerful engines!

[Linked Image from cimg4.ibsrv.net]

Last edited:
Back