"All-new" 2012 Toyota Yaris: It's, well, a car....

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/2012-toyota-yaris-first-drive-review/

The bottom line:

Pro's
-Larger interior, more space everywhere, especially trunk
-Better interior
-Should be very practical

Con's
-More expensive than previous model. Starts at 14K for stick-shift.
-Power-train carry-over'd, same engine, same 4-speed auto transmission
-Epa: 30mpg/35mpg highway (for 4-speed auto)
-Worse EPA fuel economy than competitors

Conclusion: I will not consider this car if I were in the market. The similarly priced Hyundai Accent is clearly better in most ways with the exception that the Accent is heavier, has worst visibility, and possibly unknown-reliability of direct injection.

Last edited:
Accent is 2400 lbs, Yaris 2300. Both are impressive in these days of "I want to crash into anything, anytime".

I like the interior on this one much better than the current one.

As gas prices continue to rise, it will sell well, especially up here - lots of them on the road up here.

Originally Posted By: mareakin
Most people don't pay attention enough to realize that Toyota has been surpassed, it will continue to sell on brand-name alone. I own a Toyota but this saddens me.

Companies should not be rewarded for complacency.

Actually, this is a good car. It simply should not the default choice, in fact, there are no default choices. The segment has become very competitive, buyers should consider many before buying.

Considering you can get a 2012 Nissan Versa which essentially has most all options included in the base price of $10,900, I wouldn't even consider a Yaris.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Considering you can get a 2012 Nissan Versa which essentially has most all options included in the base price of $10,900, I wouldn't even consider a Yaris.

Does that come with air conditioning and a radio? Thats about all I require.

I see that it specs 5w30 on the oil cap. Is that a charcoal canister (emissions) on the passenger side of the engine compartment?

THis guy thinks the car is fun: http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/08/2012-toyota-yaris-shows-spark-is-back-at-toyota.html

"Where previous “S” edition Toyota models have often been badge-and-sill-skirt cosmetic jobs, the new Yaris SE actually has real sporting upgrades, including unique alloy wheels and fatter tires, a tauter suspension with stiffer springs and revalved shocks, a quicker steering ratio, larger four-wheel disc brakes (vs. standard rear drums), and more supportive seats."

Last edited:
7 airbags for it . Wonder if that's a knee airbag or the new airbag that's in the hatch door , like that of the SCION IQ . Good idea , help protect those in back if rear ended by a larger / taller vehicle . Not much space between the rear seat and rear door/ bumper .

I kinda like it, good thing they kept the weight down and did not bloat it, the engine and transmission are proven and it WILL get better gas mileage than 35mpg highway. Of course it will most likely handle like a cow, even though it is small, but as an over all package I don’t think one should discard it without a test drive just because they don’t like the posted numbers.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys

It comes with EVERYTHING; CD/ipod, A/C, traction control, stability control, power everything, ABS etc. Basically fully loaded.

Originally Posted By: odie
7 airbags for it . Wonder if that's a knee airbag or the new airbag that's in the hatch door , like that of the SCION IQ . Good idea , help protect those in back if rear ended by a larger / taller vehicle . Not much space between the rear seat and rear door/ bumper .
There's 9 airbags , found this at TOYOTA pressroom . http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/all+new+yaris+sized+right+for+fun+and+function.htm .

Originally Posted By: nomochevys

It comes with EVERYTHING; CD/ipod, A/C, traction control, stability control, power everything, ABS etc. Basically fully loaded.

Not for the $10,900 price. That's the stripped down with a manual and a/c

The $16,400 LE is more expensive than the Mazda2 Touring.

...and the bland as gruel driving experience Toyota will probably outsell the Mazda that drives like it thinks it is an MX-5 Miata.

Might outsell the upcoming Chevrolet Sonic too. I don't know how that one is going to drive but I've read good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back