Alfa Romeo Guila 2.9 Owners?

Yes I did. And? Alfa is not just platform. This is not KIA.
The Giorgio kindof defines modern Alfa. That said, I hated it. I admittedly only drove the 2.0 Stelvio and not the QV, but it held zero appeal. I bought an Acura rdx the next day.

As to Alfa, Kia, whatever. Who cares? I have stock in none of them. I buy what's fun and meets my criteria for transportation.

You keep attacking everything I own over its branding. When will you figure out branding doesn't matter one bit to me? Performance does. Substance>Image.

The Giorgio kindof defines modern Alfa. That said, I hated it. I admittedly only drove the 2.0 Stelvio and not the QV, but it held zero appeal. I bought an Acura rdx the next day.

As to Alfa, Kia, whatever. Who cares? I have stock in none of them. I buy what's fun and meets my criteria for transportation.

You keep attacking everything I own over its branding. When will you figure out branding doesn't matter one bit to me? Performance does. Substance>Image.
Can you tell me what defines old Alfa?
Performance? Is that why you drive car that after two years is still not on Nurburgring list? But it is marketed at Nurburgring!

A lot of time in the garage. They're like 1911s. You tinker with them a ton and develop a relationship with them. I don't want that. I want out of the box performance and reliability.
So basically you have no clue. Same like you have no clue about 911. Check post about compensation.

So basically you have no clue. Same like you have no clue about 911. Check post about compensation.
Why are you so bent on insulting me? Its not even irritating at this point, just curious and odd. Im living my life on my terms, buying and doing what I want with zero cares about others perception of it, and love it! You keep wanting a place at my table. No.

Also, no, no clue about 911s. They're too low to be viable for my ao.

Why are you so bent on insulting me? Its not even irritating at this point, just curious and odd. Im living my life on my terms, buying and doing what I want with zero cares about others perception of it, and love it! You keep wanting a place at my table. No.
I am not insulting you. I am just stating that you have no clue about Alfa or 911. But you can always tells us your experience about it.
Look, topic will not go somehow to direction where you can talk about that Sorento. You managed to turn topic on tires about your 0-60 times.
Before that you kept comparing every car you owned to BMW, MB etc. They ain’t that. Nor Sorento is Alfa.
Alfa is topic.

I am not insulting you. I am just stating that you have no clue about Alfa or 911. But you can always tells us your experience about it.
Look, topic will not go somehow to direction where you can talk about that Sorento. You managed to turn topic on tires about your 0-60 times.
Before that you kept comparing every car you owned to BMW, MB etc. They ain’t that. Nor Sorento is Alfa.
Alfa is topic.
Alfa is needlessly complex. No performance return vs other similarly priced vehicles. They're dying in the US. Its a wish.com Maserati. BMW offers better solutions.

Tires and 0-60 and braking in wet, cold, dry are directly relative.

Last edited:
Alfa is needlessly complex. No performance return vs other similarly priced vehicles. They're dying in the US. Its a wish.com Maserati. BMW offers better solutions.

Tires and 0-60 and braking in wet, cold, dry are directly relative.
Alfa 146 was best performance car I had. 0-60 in 11.5sec.

I briefly owned a 2.9 Quadrifoglio Giulia. The handling and performance was amazing. In my opinion, Alfa owners value styling equally important as performance. Are there cars with better performance stats, yes. But in my opinion, the Giulia Quadrifoglio is better than the vast majority of the rest of the field. Styling wise, the newer BMW, Audi, MB cars have no soul. Is the maintenance cost absurdly high on the Alfas, yes. But one should expect high maintenance costs on a vehicle with a Ferrari designed engine.

I briefly owned a 2.9 Quadrifoglio Giulia. The handling and performance was amazing. In my opinion, Alfa owners value styling equally important as performance. Are there cars with better performance stats, yes. But in my opinion, the Giulia Quadrifoglio is better than the vast majority of the rest of the field. Styling wise, the newer BMW, Audi, MB cars have no soul. Is the maintenance cost absurdly high on the Alfas, yes. But one should expect high maintenance costs on a vehicle with a Ferrari designed engine.
People always talk about soul and so forth, but just like people, a good soul doesn't always mean they're the right partner for you. I drove an rdx and stelvio back to back and bought the rdx. The stelvio was such a pud in comparison. Yet some people rank them opposite. Test drive it!!!

I drove over 16 different SUVs over the past 3 months (including the RDX) for my side gig. The RDX is a good vehicle, but it is not better than the Stelvio when it comes to performance.
Did you drive the Alfa in Dynamic mode for a decent length of time? The sharp, responsive steering and excellent handling should have impressed you.
What is the sportiest vehicle you have ever owned?

I drove over 16 different SUVs over the past 3 months (including the RDX) for my side gig. The RDX is a good vehicle, but it is not better than the Stelvio when it comes to performance.
Did you drive the Alfa in Dynamic mode for a decent length of time? The sharp, responsive steering and excellent handling should have impressed you.
What is the sportiest vehicle you have ever owned?
I drove the Alfa in "D" ("Dynamic"), yes. The steering was excellent, but way lighter than I prefer. That's a preference issue and I don't count off for that, though. The upshifts were typical ZF8---Fantastic! However, downshifts especially after slowing were a "Let's talk first..." affair Not the actual shift, but the car deciding that "Yeah man, we can accommodate you, now let's just see about it...". You did not get immediate response, there. Further, acceleration from a stop took about 1/3 of a second to begin. Again, a "let's talk first" thing. I guess I could have got a JB4 and tuned that nonsense out of it, but really, why should I have to? The brakes were a bit odd, but that's normal for the car and something you adjust to. The vehicle was well weighted and tracked well through sweepers and tighter transitions, but I did not appreciate all of the body roll. In short, yes, it was very well weighted, but the responsiveness (or lack) in daily traffic really put me off. The RDX was more immediate with everything, the torque vectoring was legit tangible and neat, and felt more buttoned down even though it was weighted much worse and preferred on-throttle through corners instead of trail braking. You drove it different from the Stelvio, and objectively it was slower, yes, but it was so much more FUN! You also like Miata's, I see. I hate them. I hate how they drive. I acknowledge their technical prowess, but I'd never own one. I much prefer the BRZ/86. So this comes down to again, right car for the preferences.

I would also note that you did indeed dump your QV. That's worth noting, for whatever reason you chose to, you did, and that's a salient point.

Sporty cars I've owned, in order (not counting un-sporty ones in between).

-1995 Trans Am A4 2.73
-1988 Mustang 5.0 with Tremec TKO500 and crate motor
-2001 WS.6 Trans Am MN6
-2011 C6 Z06
-2012 370Z Sport/Touring
-EV6 GT

Maybe worth mentioning:

-2019 CX5 w/turbo
-2022 Acura RDX ASPEC ADV
-C40 P8 Ultimate

I drove the Alfa in "D" ("Dynamic"), yes. The steering was excellent, but way lighter than I prefer. That's a preference issue and I don't count off for that, though. The upshifts were typical ZF8---Fantastic! However, downshifts especially after slowing were a "Let's talk first..." affair. You did not get immediate response, there. Further, acceleration from a stop took about 1/3 of a second to begin. Again, a "let's talk first" thing. I guess I could have got a JB4 and tuned that nonsense out of it, but really, why should I have to? The brakes were a bit odd, but that's normal for the car and something you adjust to. The vehicle was well weighted and tracked well through sweepers and tighter transitions, but I did not appreciate all of the body roll. In short, yes, it was very well weighted, but the responsiveness (or lack) in daily traffic really put me off. The RDX was more immediate with everything, the torque vectoring was legit tangible and neat, and felt more buttoned down even though it was weighted much worse and preferred on-throttle through corners instead of trail braking. You drove it different from the Stelvio, and objectively it was slower, yes, but it was so much more FUN! You also like Miata's, I see. I hate them. I hate how they drive. I acknowledge their technical prowess, but I'd never own one. I much prefer the BRZ/86. So this comes down to again, right car for the preferences.

I would also note that you did indeed dump your QV. That's worth noting, for whatever reason you chose to, you did, and that's a salient point.

Sporty cars I've owned, in order (not counting un-sporty ones in between).

-1995 Trans Am A4 2.73
-1988 Mustang 5.0 with Tremec TKO500 and crate motor
-2001 WS.6 Trans Am MN6
-2011 C6 Z06
-2012 370Z Sport/Touring
-EV6 GT

Maybe worth mentioning:

-2019 CX5 w/turbo
-2022 Acura RDX ASPEC ADV
-C40 P8 Ultimate
I thought you might have had a WS6 based on your handle! I drooled over those when I was much younger! I definitely am jealous over the Z06. I'm curious what your take is on the 370Z. You'll have to school me on what a C40 P8 Ultimate is (BMW?). I so wished the Alfas offered a Manual trans! All my Challengers have been manuals, definitely slower than the 8 speed auto but so much more engaging to drive.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the RDX vs Stelvio, but that's okay. Full disclosure: my mom drives a Giulia and my dad drives a Stelvio (both 2.0s). I'm sure there's some inherent bias in me that I can't get rid of.

I thought you might have had a WS6 based on your handle! I drooled over those when I was much younger! I definitely am jealous over the Z06. I'm curious what your take is on the 370Z. You'll have to school me on what a C40 P8 Ultimate is (BMW?). I so wished the Alfas offered a Manual trans! All my Challengers have been manuals, definitely slower than the 8 speed auto but so much more engaging to drive.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the RDX vs Stelvio, but that's okay. Full disclosure: my mom drives a Giulia and my dad drives a Stelvio (both 2.0s). I'm sure there's some inherent bias in me that I can't get rid of.

The 370Z I had was a 2012. It was a great car, but much less "direct" than the Z06...while still managing rough pavement worse at speed. I was not a fan of the suspension, otherwise it was a great car.

-It had poor rebound control and felt "bouncy", so bad it would skip sideways 6" or so over expansion joints on bridges that curved. My Dad hated riding in it for that reason and STILL talks trash about that car. The Z06 just soaked that up but was also EXTREMELY "connected". If you twitched...it twitched.

C40 is a dual-motor AWD EV that looks like an X4 and is built by Geely/Volvo.

Go drive the Stelvio and slow from 60 to 40 and then floor it. There will be a wait period before you get anything out of it. Even in "D". Floor it from a stoplight. Same thing. The only thing I liked about it was the rapid-fire upshifts and the 50/50 weight dist and quick steering. Otherwise it had too much lag, and too much roll. I bet the QV solved both of those, but PM on them is insane, so I got an EV that performs the same as a Guilia QV, and am happy with that, even if it has less soul.

1701793576159.jpg

I haven't heard a lot of overly positive things about those 370Zs. I have a ton of respect for the Z06. One of the best stock street/track cars off the assembly lines. But I just hate the styling exterior and interior. The QV is on a different planet than the 2.0s. Not as quick as the Z06, but you feel every little thing going on with the car (much like how you describe the Z06). The steering is borderline twitchy in Race mode (which the 2.0s don't have), and is very firmly planted at any speed. I do about a half-dozen track weekends a year with NASA, and that QV left me speechless. I surprised a lot of other drivers with that car on track! After every run there would be a handful of drivers coming to get a closer look at it. Sadly, the maintenance is very expensive and can be difficult to accept.

I haven't heard a lot of overly positive things about those 370Zs. I have a ton of respect for the Z06. One of the best stock street/track cars off the assembly lines. But I just hate the styling exterior and interior. The QV is on a different planet than the 2.0s. Not as quick as the Z06, but you feel every little thing going on with the car (much like how you describe the Z06). The steering is borderline twitchy in Race mode (which the 2.0s don't have), and is very firmly planted at any speed. I do about a half-dozen track weekends a year with NASA, and that QV left me speechless. I surprised a lot of other drivers with that car on track! After every run there would be a handful of drivers coming to get a closer look at it. Sadly, the maintenance is very expensive and can be difficult to accept.
That's the thing, two cars can feel and drive totally different, and still turn near identical lap times. The QV was just way to "involved" (maintenance wise) for me in achieving this level of performance.

Last edited:
LOL, yes 2.0 turbo SUVs are slow!! I've driven a friend's Tesla Model 3 Performance a couple years ago, but absolutely hated the interior styling and huge tablet in the middle of the dash. I will not deny the advantages of BEVs, performance wise. Much lower center of gravity makes up for their increased weight tremendously. They produce silly amounts of instant torque and push your spine into the seats. But until the charging infrastructure improves greatly, I'll wait to make the switch.

Back