Alcohol Detection Sensors

Interesting... Most of the posts here are anti-big brother, freedom, etc. You are taking the opposite approach?

What? How is holding a conviction of a crime to a sentence anti-freedom?

Alcohol sensors for everyone, is big brother.

If the penalty is severe enough, it will deter behavior.

You are talking about a small percentage of addict acloholics. Most never get in enough trouble to hit a bottom, and families just help them through the rough patches.
And not only addict alcoholics drive impaired. Most of us have at one time or another. Luckily we make it home most of the time.

I agree but It's a slippery slope of denial once someone starts rationalizing that they can continue drinking, knowing they are driving away the same as how they got there. It's a sign of psychological addiction that the next drink, and then the next, is more important than safety. Most states BAC level being exceeded, and most accidents don't happen from only a couple drinks. It may be a larger % that are functional alcoholics but the odds are once someone gets caught driving intoxicated, they've been at it a while, not their first time.

Last edited:
Driving on public roads is not a right.
I get your point, however SCOTUS has determined in 5 separate cases that free and unrestricted travel is in fact a right. Citizens do have the right to use the vast majority of roadways. Including walking, bicycles, low power motorized vehicles, horses and so on. Automotive use is regulated. The general use of public roads for travel is a right.

Tell people drinking is overrated. That's why you don't drink. Actually it is overrated.

I don't drink and my wife likes having a permanent designated driver when she has a drink with a dinner out.
Same here. I'm my brother's designated driver. Aside from sips of wine used at church for religious purposes, I waited until I was 21and after a taste of the different types I responded with "and people spend money on this?" It's an acquired taste others told me...so why start? Soft drinks taste great on the first sip, why force myself to like something that tastes horrible on the first taste?

To the person talking about hoping alcohol doesn't impact someone's life like it has his (I think his name Jeff), I understand and I understand the weight behind why they are wanting to pass such devices as standard. There has been a LOT of alcoholism in my family and I also unfortunately had to bury a friend who drank so much he destroyed his liver and died. In my own life, I wish something could have been done to prevent the elderly lady who nearly killed me 3 years ago from hitting me and ruining my back. She wasn't drunk or on illegal drugs and wasn't any older than my parents (my grandmother still drives safely at the age of 92). The point is unfortunately there are no guarantees to prevent all tragedies in life. The safest thing for me to do statistically is to never leave my house. A year of that was enough to drive me crazy. Life is meant to be lived. While continuous improvement can be a good thing, my concern is the pursuit of perfection in a world that is imperfect can result in tyranny if you don't start drawing lines and accepting that world isn't perfect, it will never be perfect, and it doesn't have to be perfect. The electronic devices get errors and bugs all the time and I fear what the consequences are if it throws an error in an emergency situation (ex. A relative is having a medical emergency where they can't wait for an ambulance to arrive and the car won't start do to the device getting an error or finding the cough syrups alcohol content etc.). Bottomline is with most problems, we need to find some sort of balance between freedom and rules. So many of our problems in my opinion cannot be fixed by making more laws but enforcing the ones we already have. I think college campuses and frat houses need to be held accountable for the alcohol and drug culture. I agree rehab needs to be more extensively used at earlier stages. I think a lot of it comes down to parenting (my parents weren't alcoholics and they set up consistent rules with consistent consequences and would also consistently reward for good behavior).

Last edited:
That's true. But some do. Sobriety is for those who want it not those who need it.

That's why they talk about hitting bottom before you can make progress towards sobriety.
Yes, and I would humbly add, Sobriety is for those who work it. That's my experience.

A bit OT, but where I live a lot of DWI could be avoided in the first place if law enforcement bothered to enforce existing laws in a commonsense manner. Within a 10-minute walk from my house you can visit probably 100 eating and drinking establishments. The police almost never stop anyone within this entertainment district, even on busy weekends late at night when the bars are closing. In fact, enforcement of everything is very hands off. They do set up sobriety checkpoints after midnight several miles away in known locations that are avoided by the regulars. I have been stopped several times (I don't drink and drive) at them when leaving town late at night and I have no doubt they catch some people, but if instead they just had some of those cops walking the entertainment district and making friendly suggestions to obviously drunk people getting into cars they would prevent 100% more DWI incidents. This is an area where there are numerous Lyfts, Ubers, taxis, and buses, just waiting around to take people safely home, yet nearly every night I hear drunken fights nearby, cars roaring off at 2am, etc. You can easily observe many people who should not be driving. In decades living here I can only recall one bar being shut down for excess serving and other violations, and that was only after multiple crimes with injuries at the bar or immediately adjacent. The problem is businesses do not want to be policed and they have a lot of clout.

I'd guess you are a friend of Bill W then.
I haven't had a drink in 36.5 years and I haven't been in jail in 36.5 years; go figure. I am one of the lucky ones. And I know it.
I used to be a purge on society; a dangerous drunk driver. Let's just say things have changed and I never wanna go back there.

Last edited:
I haven't had a drink in 36.5 years and I haven't been in jail in 36.5 years; go figure. I am one of the lucky ones. And I know it.
I used to be a purge on society; a dangerous drunk driver. Let's just say things have changed and I never wanna go back there.
I heard someone say "while I don't get in trouble everyone I drink, everytime I get into trouble I have been drinking.'

I heard someone say "while I don't get in trouble everyone I drink, everytime I get into trouble I have been drinking.'
When I got to the rooms, an old timer asked me 2 questions:
"How many time have you been arrested?"
The quickly... "How many times have you been arrested sober?"

A blinding flash of the obvious...

Guilty until proven innocent. Fatalities regarding speeding is almost exactly the same as drunk driving, I'm just going to wait until a company decides to propose a GPS-based speed limiter.

That's true. But some do. Sobriety is for those who want it not those who need it.

That's why they talk about hitting bottom before you can make progress towards sobriety.
There’s plenty of help out there for the asking. If one isn’t motivated to find it, they aren’t ready to receive rehab/help.

Guilty until proven innocent. Fatalities regarding speeding is almost exactly the same as drunk driving, I'm just going to wait until a company decides to propose a GPS-based speed limiter.
The company I retired from used a GPS based system that monitored your speed . braking , abrupt lane changes , etc. It also stored your route with that data overlaid . Pain in the ass at times .

Reactions: Pew
The company I retired from used a GPS based system that monitored your speed . braking , abrupt lane changes , etc. It also stored your route with that data overlaid . Pain in the ass at times .

We monitor our company vehicles also. My previous manager was very strict about it, no more than 5mph over the limit. If he got an alert about it, he'd call the employee immediately about it. After he left, nobody monitored the vehicles that close anymore and the amount of accidents we had skyrocketed to the point that we're about to take away company vehicles and just give out stipends.

Insurance companies have effectively created one.

Progressive, USAA, and others offer a substantial reduction in insurance premiums if you consent to plugging in an OBD-II monitor.

It watches your acceleration and braking rates, top speed, and other parameters to determine if you’re a “safe” driver as defined by them.

An economic, not regulatory, incentive to consent to monitored driving.

I’ve declined their offer.

Progressive, USAA, and others offer a substantial reduction in insurance premiums if you consent to plugging in an OBD-II monitor.

It watches your acceleration and braking rates, top speed, and other parameters to determine if you’re a “safe” driver as defined by them.

I forgot about those. My lady friend has a "lite" cellphone app version of it for progressive or geico that will "grade" her on her driving. I don't know if this version gives her any discounts though.

Same here.

Your new car in 2026 might know if you stopped by the pub after work.

LINK

And this is one of many reasons why my 2023 Allroad (and it's not like it can't be tracked allready) will be the last new car I buy and I am doing everything I can to make my current fleet last as long as possible.

No, not because I drink and drive, far from it, I have the wife drive home if I have one beer with dinner. Nevermind the possibility of the system being hacked or just being broken with false positives or just plain malfunctioning in an emergency. I just don't see the need for the government to track everything I do and go. I mean, maybe when the government officials allow us to see all the data tracking THEIR movements (cause you know, nothing to hide right?) then I would think about it.

Nah, I'd still say no because it's tyranny but won't matter cause they will never allow that.

because that's a reactive solution instead of a preventative one, which isn't much of a solution.

Its really about protecting people from the irresponsible behavior of others; if you don't DnD, what's the issue?

No it isn't. If it was about protecting people from irresponsible behavior we would all be wearing ankle bracelets and living in government 4x4 padded cells under 24/7 video review. It's about power and control, simple.

So would you permit the government to put up cameras in your house to make sure you aren't cooking meth? I mean, if you aren't cooking meth why wouldn't you allow that? What about requiring federal drug testing every week to be sure you are not on illegal drugs? I mean, if you aren't doing coke why wouldn't you be all for that?

They dog whistle of "If you aren't doing anything wrong why should you care.." is the classic call of the fascist who knows once they have the control they can make ANYTHING they want illegal on a whim and all the sheep who ok'd the surveillance when it didn't affect them can't do anything to stop being oppressed under it.

Seems like a great idea, since stuff like this can’t possibly be hacked… 🙄

Why can’t we just hold people accountable for their actions rather than continually inserting bureaucrats where they don’t belong?
sounds like an invasion of privacy it might also infringe on an amendment or two. well that's not far enough, because somebody's going to figure a way around this so the only thing left there will be to do is the ban the automobile for the sake of humanity LOL. I can see this being a good thing but I can see this also being a bad thing. you get your car hacked by one entity or the next and you won't be able to drive at all because it'll be set.

Back