Alcohol Detection Sensors

All of the upcoming monitoring dictates were passed under the infrastructure bill. Insurance companies have offered discounts for people who would install a tracking device on their vehicle or use an app on their phone that gave their location and their acceleration/deceleration and general account of their driving function. I guess not enough people voluntarily accepted the big brother monitoring so they lobbied Congress to make it mandatory for this to be built into the vehicles.

Ford and Volvo are spearheading this initiative so know what you're buying. If you don't mind that big government is monitoring you then it's a non-issue. If you cherish your 4th amendment rights that protect your privacy from illegal search and seizure and you still believe in innocent until proven guilty, then make arrangements to avoid these devices.

I agree. It was only when states started passing some real drunk driving laws and holding the driver personally responsible that we saw reductions in deaths. I really do not want the kind of intrusion these devices will do. Pretty soon every aspect of our lives will be subject to government oversight and some government employee will pass judgement on your actions.

As one who does not drink alcoholic beverages, I truly resent having to pay for an added item on my car, that is really only for those that lack self discipline.

I have read articles that claim drunk driving is nowhere near a problem in most European countries, as it is here in North America. Apparently the penalties for impaired driving is very severe. While it is not socially acceptable here in the USA, to drive impaired, in Europe, society as a whole looks upon impaired driving differently.

In some of the Scandinavian countries, if you drove to a tavern, it shows intent to drive impaired. Your car will be impounded, you lose your license, and are jailed. People use public transportation or walk.

As one who does not drink alcoholic beverages, I truly resent having to pay for an added item on my car, that is really only for those that lack self discipline.

I have read articles that claim drunk driving is nowhere near a problem in most European countries, as it is here in North America. Apparently the penalties for impaired driving is very severe. While it is not socially acceptable here in the USA, to drive impaired, in Europe, society as a whole looks upon impaired driving differently.

In some of the Scandinavian countries, if you drove to a tavern, it shows intent to drive impaired. Your car will be impounded, you lose your license, and are jailed. People use public transportation or walk.
Well, if their approach on guns is any insight to how they’re going to handle this, they’re simply going to make it illegal for sober people to drive…

Why can’t we just hold people accountable for their actions rather than continually inserting bureaucrats where they don’t belong?
because that's a reactive solution instead of a preventative one, which isn't much of a solution.

Its really about protecting people from the irresponsible behavior of others; if you don't DnD, what's the issue?

Well, if their approach on guns is any insight to how they’re going to handle this, they’re simply going to make it illegal for sober people to drive…
This is the entire root of the problem. You're assumed guilty until you prove you're sobriety to the state. This goes against everything this nation and our constitution was founded on.

I'm curious what they will do to motorcycles. Those things can go from 1-100- 0 faster than most vehicles can hit 60. Are they going to be governed and regulated out of existence?

I lived and worked in French Canada and a couple of my family members lived and worked in France and Spain and elsewhere in Europe. In many countries they have no age limit for drinking and the bars and cafes are everywhere and most people drink almost daily, often throughout the entire day. That said, they're much more responsible about their drinking and drunk drivers are not a big problem in any of those countries. In those countries drinking just seems to be a part of life and their citizens handle it responsibly. In this country it's often a symbol of rebellion and many of our drinkers are often completely irresponsible.

Isn't that what jails are for?
The only way politicians lawmakers can justify their useless jobs, and existence, is by creating new laws. And the only way they can do that without pissing off their backers donors is by creating more and more restrictions. At some point in time in the future, we will be literally gridlocked by all of these laws restrictions.

because that's a reactive solution instead of a preventative one, which isn't much of a solution.

Its really about protecting people from the irresponsible behavior of others; if you don't DnD, what's the issue?
if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of it, ALL driving is dangerous and if you’re playing that angle, we ALL lose.

Your “preventative” solution sure sounds like the stuff that Minority Report warned us about. And I don’t want anything to do with that crap, because then we’re ALL targets regardless of how innocent we really are.

I haven't had a drop in 36.5 years. Alcohol involved accidents are a huge purge on our society. If these were cut way back, the cost savings would be enourmous. Insurance costs go down. The cost to try cases and incarcerate people goes down. Police could focus on other crimes. And you and your family would be safer.

In case you don't know, insurance companies lobby for these laws. The motorcycle helmut law here in CA was pushed through by them.

There is often social pressure to drive after drinking. If the car has a lockout from starting it is socially acceptable not to drive; peer pressure won't overcome that physical lock.

Back