Aisin DW-1 Identical to Aisin T-IV

I just did two drain and fills on my 2004 Accord with Aisin Synthetic DW-1 from Rockauto. Shifts feel pretty much the same as Honda, with less of a clunk/click when shifting from park to drive/reverse. Also, the the car shifts into 5th faster than OEM fluid, and is less prone to downshifting while coasting. I wonder if this will lead to slightly better gas mileage.

Anyways, in my research I found these two product data sheets. Aisin T-IV and Aisin DW-1 appear to be the same product. Doesn’t bother me but it’s interesting. It might just be a similar product to Valvoline multi-vehicle import.

Attachments

• 89E3A52A-ACD1-4AE5-9C1D-1DC1B36438D6.jpeg
    89E3A52A-ACD1-4AE5-9C1D-1DC1B36438D6.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 823248F1-9458-4004-AF78-C557C57DC53B.jpg
    823248F1-9458-4004-AF78-C557C57DC53B.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 571770C9-9EFD-4EB7-B424-8F4F94D5D78A.jpg
    571770C9-9EFD-4EB7-B424-8F4F94D5D78A.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I just did two drain and fills on my 2004 Accord with Aisin Synthetic DW-1 from Rockauto. Shifts feel the same as Honda, with less of a clunk/click when shifting from park to drive/reverse.

But, in my research I found these two product data sheets. Aisin T-IV and Aisin DW-1 appear to be the same product. Doesn’t bother me but it’s interesting.
If you’re looking for something designed from the ground up with only Honda in mind, this probably isn’t it.

with less of a clunk/click when shifting from park to drive/reverse.
Report back on that in a week (or even a few days)

Looking at the two tech sheets, either someone copy and pasted the tables and forget to change the measured values or they are the same product.

If you’re looking for something designed from the ground up with only Honda in mind, this probably isn’t it.
I consider Aisin DW-1 to simply be a "compatible" fluid, the same as Valvoline's red-bottle ATF, etc, etc. No doubt, they're high-quality fluids but they are not equivalent, especially Aisin's even when they use the same "name". I do think it's deceiving and many people believe it's the same fluid as Honda's or Aisin must make it for Honda and so on.

Last edited:
I consider Aisin DW-1 to simply be a "compatible" fluid, the same as Valvoline's red-bottle ATF, etc, etc. No doubt, they're high-quality fluids but they are not equivalent, especially Aisin's even when they use the same "name". I do think it's deceiving and many people believe it's the same fluid as Honda's or Aisin must make it for Honda and so on.
Yes neither one is Honda ATF DW-1. Whether that matters to someone is another subject however.

Whether that matters to someone is another subject however.
There are people (here) who recommend it as a direct "substitute" for Honda DW-1 though and it's not. They might as well recommend any of a half-dozen suitable/recommended for multi-vehicle ATFs but they single out Aisin's or Idemitsu's because they have the same name. Again, I blame Aisin or Idemitsu for the confusion (or deception, depending on how strongly one's opinion is).

I'll spend $24 and get the real Honda stuff.... vs save $8-10 bucks.... 👊🏻

Report back on that in a week (or even a few days)

Looking at the two tech sheets, either someone copy and pasted the tables and forget to change the measured values or they are the same product.

Really, really good post Hall.

You nailed it spot on here.

Call me skeptical. Every single actual measured value between the two are the same. Is that possible ? Sure, I guess it could be.... Is it likely ?
Meh. You could formulate two lubescwith the exact same stocks, additive differently, and meet different specs.

I think the bigger issue is if the universals like maxlife actually inflict wear or harm to a transmission, as compared to the correct product.

Meh. You could formulate two lubescwith the exact same stocks, additive differently, and meet different specs.

I think the bigger issue is if the universals like maxlife actually inflict wear or harm to a transmission, as compared to the correct product.
Spot on. In my limited experience, I have never heard of damage caused by using Idemitsu or Aisin DW-1 equivalents or even the super universal Maxlife. I've used a ton of Idemitsu in Honda Acura and Toyota Lexus vehicles. I am about to use Aisin CVT FE in a Corolla. I have used Castrol and Valvoline CVT fluid in a high mileage Altima.
I am sure the equivalents and certainly the universals have to be different.
Perhaps others can chime in.

I would have to guess that if there were an issue, this information would be all over the Internet.

Last edited:
I have never heard of damage caused by using Idemitsu or Aisin DW-1 equivalents or even the super universal Maxlife.
It's really only the OEM fan-boys who insist you will blow up / destroy things by using non-OEM fluid. They have zero proof or personal experience, they only "heard" about it happening and they repeat it on the internet.

I've personally never told anyone NOT to use non-OEM fluid but if someone asks me "Use Honda DW-1 or Valvoline Maxlife in my 2009 Accord?", I will always answer "DW-1".

Back