Airliners usually don't have a row 13

I wonder what terrible thing could happen to a passenger in Row 13 that wouldn't also happen to everyone else on board? Me flying American Airlines: "Honey, look at those poor people in Row 13. Let's keep an eye on them!" Rows 14 and 17 are often absent, too.

Last edited:
Well if you write code for a living then you also avoid the 14th row; we start numbering things with "0". 🤷‍♂️

Technically speaking, airplanes & buildings with more than 13 rows or floors, must actually have a 13th. It is a mathematical necessity, as 13 comes between 12 and 14. You can't get to 14 without passing through 13. But sometimes they skip the label 13, and that 13th row or floor is labelled as the 14th.

For example, if you are in a building that "doesn't have a 13th floor", and you are on the floor labeled as the 14th, then you are actually on the 13th floor. The building has a 13th floor, it just calls it by a different name.

Yes, I'm feeling pedantic today ;)

I worked at a hospital that the 13th floor was call the penthouse (PH) and labeled that way.

I know if you don't book your seats early they sure as heck have a row 29!!! Just got back from a few days in Antigua. My queen didn't book our seats until kiosk check-in. Both flights were a 737 and flight there was 29 back was 30! I'd be the first to jump on 13!!! And I'm a guy who stays clear of anything "666." :rolleyes:

I'm flying in an A320 in few days and it does have a row 13. In fact it's one of the desirable over wing exit rows with extra legroom and you have to pay more to sit in them.

I didn't pay.

Well if you write code for a living then you also avoid the 14th row; we start numbering things with "0". 🤷‍♂️
Wouldn't that be row 12 if you start at 0? Speaking from an engineering standpoint. Might be different in programming...

Available seats, American Airlines. 737 and 777

IMG_7593.jpg
IMG_7594.jpg

First of all-airlines have 13th rows-and hotels have 13th floors, they are not labeled as such.....but if you count them....in order.....OH...it's a joke....

Many old skyscrapers don't have a 13th floor.
They do, but it is labeled 14th floor.

I rafted the lower Grand Canyon in 2020. That includes Lava Falls Rapid. My life jacket and dry bag were number 13. I survived.

Grand Canyon rapids are rated on a scale of 1 -10. Lava Falls Rapid is about a 12.

Back