Aircraft Collision at Haneda

The jet's engines still under power???

The Fan isn’t turning and the pilots would have shut both engines down as part of the evacuation checklist.

Yes, looks almost like exhaust coming out of the back of the engine but the Fan isn’t turning.

Very calm, orderly, civilized passengers. I didn’t see any panic in the cabin video.

Edit: second look…..looks like it’s still running. Weird.

Last edited:
The Fan isn’t turning and the pilots would have shut both engines down as part of the evacuation checklist.

Yes, looks almost like exhaust coming out of the back of the engine but the Fan isn’t turning.

Very calm, orderly, civilized passengers. I didn’t see any panic in the cabin video.
Thanks.

I thought the same about the passengers. Likely some didn't see the flaming details, but still.

Good cabin crew situational awareness. They evacuated from the other side.

Not sure how they train their cabin crew , we don’t tell the cabin crew which side to evacuate and leave it up to them to assess.

There has been a massive up tick over the last 2-3 years of aircraft related incidents, as well as a surprisingly large amount of pilot deaths for "no reason" #diedsuddenly.
To those out of the loop, last year the FAA relaxed some medical requirements relating to cardiac testing of pilots, allowing pilots with somewhat abnormal ECG tests (indicating first degree atrioventricular blocks) to continue to fly. Some have claimed that they did this due to the cardiac related side effects of a mandated medical treatment, as well as the related pilot shortage. The FAA claims that the change was made due to new medical evidence becoming available, but they haven't elaborated on what this evidence is.

Reliable statistics on pilot incapacitation are hard to come by, so it's not clear whether these types of incidents have increased in recent years.

To those out of the loop, last year the FAA relaxed some medical requirements relating to cardiac testing of pilots, allowing pilots with somewhat abnormal ECG tests (indicating first degree atrioventricular blocks) to continue to fly. Some have claimed that they did this due to the cardiac related side effects of a mandated medical treatment, as well as the related pilot shortage. The FAA claims that the change was made due to new medical evidence becoming available, but they haven't elaborated on what this evidence is.

Reliable statistics on pilot incapacitation are hard to come by, so it's not clear whether these types of incidents have increased in recent years.
I can tell you one thing for sure, since I work for a large airline, and would hear about any pilot incapacitations, we are not experiencing any increases ( love to share what caused them but it’s not something I can share except it’s not caused by conspiracy theory stuff ).

All pilots that pass away have their obituary sent to us ( active and retired ). I don’t see any increase in anything.

Daylight overhead video of the remains of the JAL A350 and Japanese Coast Guard Dash 8-300:

Edit: second look…..looks like it’s still running. Weird.
Remember Qantas 32, after landing back in Singapore, pilots could not shut down number one, and it took them some time for an engine to shut down. As far as I remember, they were pumping water to try to shut it down. So, who knows what was damaged during the crash and subsequent drag on the runway.

Remember Qantas 32, after landing back in Singapore, pilots could not shut down number one, and it took them some time for an engine to shut down. As far as I remember, they were pumping water to try to shut it down. So, who knows what was damaged during the crash and subsequent drag on the runway.
It has happened before.

We are supposed to check they are physically spooling down/off when we shut them down ( not just assume off when turning the engine master off ). They would have also pushed the engine fire pushbuttons during the evacuation checklist which act as a backup plus fight any engine fire if there is one.

It will be interesting to read the report.

The media outlets in the UK are calling it a miracle that all passengers on the A350 survived. Not one that I've read gives any due credit to the professionalism of the cabin crew who managed the evacuation. The fact that Japanese passengers are more naturally inclined to respect authority and do what they were told might have helped too. A lesson for us all in that situation.
Listen to the cabin crew. Pay attention. no booze or drugs.

It seems the big jet landed on top of the little plane. Juan Brown has a video up.

Wow. The Dash-8 is no small aircraft. Not an A350, obviously, but not a C-172, either.

From Wiki, in airliner configuration, it can carry 35-90 pax, and MTOW ranges from around 35,000 lbs to about 67,000 lbs, depending on the model.

Im impressed with how well that A350 stayed together after that collision at 150+ MPH!

Anyone know the orientation of the Dash-8 as it was struck?

RIP to the crew of the Dash-8. 😣

Wow. The Dash-8 is no small aircraft. Not an A350, obviously, but not a C-172, either.

From Wiki, in airliner configuration, it can carry 35-90 pax, and MTOW ranges from around 35,000 lbs to about 67,000 lbs, depending on the model.

Im impressed with how well that A350 stayed together after that collision at 150+ MPH!

Anyone know the orientation of the Dash-8 as it was struck?

RIP to the crew of the Dash-8. 😣
Seems from behind. The rudder was hit by the nose cone.

Indeed, Japanese people are perhaps the most disaster-ready in the world.

There is an emphasis to never say "take off" on the radio unless and until there is a clearance to occupy the runway and take off. Everything else while on the ground is preparations for "departure."

As always, it’s too early to tell, but my hunch is a runway incursion by the Coast Guard airplane.

Impressive job by the cabin crew on that A350 getting everyone off before the airplane was consumed by flames. They did a great job.

I'm not knowledgeable about these procedures but apparently the Airbus was cleared for landing. Which leaves an incursion by the coast guard plane very likely, or the ATC made a mistake?

Back