Air-cooled diesel lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run SAE 30 in all my stuff for years, but in doing some reading here I see the opinion that multiweight oils are working better than straight weights.

In light of that, does anyone have a suggestion for motor oil for air-cooled diesels? My old Deutz has a slug o' hours on it, still uses *no* oil, and if there's something better than what I've been using.. then I'm all for it.

By the way, great site!

lp

At work we use Shell Rotella 15w40 in the air cooled and water cooled. The majority of air cooled engines we see are Hatz and Deutz (both air and oil cooled Deutz), and it works good. We used to stock both SAE 30 and 15w40, but switched over to strictly 15w40, and it seems to be working well for old diesels spec'd for straight 30.

The majority of equipment we repair are asphalt pavers, so as far as high temps, it doesn't get much better!

As with anything, YMMV.

Originally Posted By: JR
even better the a 15w-40 a 5w-40 syn dump in and forget about it for a while maybe
Soot loading may be a problem for long drain intervals.

Hi Dualie,

It's my understanding that air cooled motors tend to run cool, at least those with a fan, because cooling varies with rpm rather than load. Full rated load brings them up to rated temperature, while lugging them overheats them.

Ain't that Deutz a great motor though?:) I sure like mine.

lp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back