Air compressor in cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Mobil 1 0w20 will work fine in these conditions, the straight 30 is way too thick at those temps.

Absolutely agree. You may want to change back to 0-30 in the summer, but 0-20 for sure in those temps.

Well, the pump still works, but the electric motor already fried. Too bad, I guess I'll be with the old compressor for a while yet.

can you find someone to rewire the harbor freight motor? Any chinese made electric motors I've seen and brought to get rewired are poorly done from new, and using substandard insulation.

Otherwise, fit a non-chinese motor to the compressor (if warranty is up)

Tractor supply or anywhere that carries Ingersol Rand compressors should sell the IR syn compressor oil. I use it in all my compressors with absolutely NO starting problems in frigid sub-zero temps here in the mountains of WV.

Well, I had it less than 2 weeks, so I simply returned it. The problem turned out to never be the oil, but the electric motor. I walked into the door and was met with the comment, "another one?" They took it no problem. They offered me a refurbished one, and was told they have been tested to work. I took the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back