AGM Battery recommendation for 2017 Silverado 5.3

Can't tell from your picture if that's an AGM or not, price wise it probably is. However the Walmarts in this area and the Costcos don't carry the AGM batteries even though they might be listed on their website. This varies from location to location it seems. Plus Pepboys is a 48 months warranty, most places it's just 36.
Grey one on the bottom explicitly says agm. And it’s a group 49, about the largest battery you get in cars...

Grey one on the bottom explicitly says agm. And it’s a group 49, about the largest battery you get in cars...
Yeah that's the one my car uses so I'm familiar with the price, it's a tad under $200 at Pepboys. When they were offering bigger discounts and rebates, you could get the AGM down to $140. But that was probably 2 years ago. Now instead of 25-35% off and a $40 rebate, it's just 15% so almost $200.

My Silverado takes a group 34/78 battery. Expect to pay a premium for an AGM battery. But, they're worth it. My last "yellow-top" AGM battery lasted 6+ years, and could have gone longer. I changed it out as I don't like being stranded in the middle of bush Alaska when its -20 to -30 degs F!

BTW, AGM's are the current "energizer bunny" of vehicle starting and dual-purpose vehicle batteries, lasting a very long time -- in very hot to very cold weather. And by design, they are also vibration, leak, and spill resistant.

Last edited:
My Silverado takes a group 34/78 battery. Expect to pay a premium for an AGM battery. But, they're worth it. My last "yellow-top" AGM battery lasted 6+ years, and could have gone longer. I changed it out as I don't like being stranded in the middle of bush Alaska when its -20 to -30 degs F!

BTW, AGM's are the current "energizer bunny" of vehicle starting and dual-purpose vehicle batteries, lasting a very long time -- in very hot to very cold weather. And by design, they are also vibration, leak, and spill resistant.
I have access to a battery gauge in my car so I can keep an eye on the voltage. My AGM battery in the Mercedes E-350 is original, made in Nov of 2007 so about 13.5 years old at this point and still going although I think it's only at about 70-80% original strength. Trying to hold out til November again and maybe there will be a sale at some point. Died on me once in the winter and after fully charging it, couldn't get above 12.5 volts.

I have access to a battery gauge in my car so I can keep an eye on the voltage. My AGM battery in the Mercedes E-350 is original, made in Nov of 2007 so about 13.5 years old at this point and still going although I think it's only at about 70-80% original strength. Trying to hold out til November again and maybe there will be a sale at some point. Died on me once in the winter and after fully charging it, couldn't get above 12.5 volts.
I find your battery's longevity amazing. Congrats! Though, you know it needs to be replaced! :)

I find your battery's longevity amazing. Congrats! Though, you know it needs to be replaced! :)
Yeah, it was extra cold that day and during the pandemic, I usually just eat in the car and listen to the radio without the car running so I probably ran it down a little. Ever since it died once, I don't sit in the car as long and start the car up sooner.

The OEM AGM battery in my '15 Sedona lasted 6 years, but it probably lived a rough life. Only 28k miles put on it when we bought it in 2020. I replaced it in January with a Diehard AGM of slightly bigger size (H9 vs H8). It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts with regular miles put on the car, though we only do about 10k per year.

I installed an AGM in my Chrysler Pacifica around the same time, which originally had a flooded battery. Both vehicles share similar usage, will be interesting to see how long they last comparatively-- the battery on a charging system designed for AGM, and one on a standard system designed for a flooded battery. I do plug them into a battery tender if they sit for long periods, as they had over the winter during the pandemic.

The length of battery replacement warranty matters. The Deka AGM Intimidator warranty is only 30 months. I don't know if the NAPA sold version has a different warranty.

I had a middle grade ( Everstart, not Max) non-AGM Walmart battery go last year, one week past it's 2 year warranty. That battery used to be a very good bet in the JC days. Used to be same as AAP "silver". Used to get 5 to 9 years from them.

The 6v golf cart Deka Intimidators on my workshop floor claim to have only an 18 month warranty.

They have a 5/17 date code on them, but were treated pretty well, and were free, and still perform well enough that I am going to ut them to work very soon, cycling deeply often.

AGMS in deep cycle duty, really need to be truly fully charged often, or their longevity is considerably poorer than flooded batteries in the same exact duty. The experienced RV'ers and marine guys who know DC electrical, know this well.

I believe this also translates to Starter battery only type of service, but to some unknown lesser degree.

While AGMS have lesser self discharge, and likely retain higher CCA when depleted the same amount as a flooded battery of the same size group , they are not immune to chronic undercharging, which is very detrimental to a battery.

With all lead acid batteries, it is wise to insure they are regularly top charged to the best of one's charger's ability.
AGM's if anything are less resilient in a chronic undercharging regime, than their cheaper flooded counterparts
But, they can charge faster at the voltages allowed by the vehicle's voltage regulator.

So it could be a wash, and it is certainly extremely variable as to the specific vehicle and how the battery was treated within it..

How close to 100% fully charged any lead acid battery is kept, has far more effect on its lifespan, than who built it.

Reports of longevity, good or bad, without knowing how the battery was treated, are pretty much meaningless, as one can take an Odyssey, drain it to 9.8v over 8 months of sitting with a smal lparasitic draw, and it will struggle to provide 1/5th of its original capacity once it is recharged. A valuepower cheapo as battery can be built battery, kept 98%+ charged, can last 5 years.

Listening to a good stereo at a good volume for 30 minutes can take a battery from 98% to 75%.
Getting a battery from 80% to 100% takes no less than 3.5 hours, and that assumes mid 14 volts is held that entire 3.5 hours AND that the battery is still relatively healthy.
Less healthy batteries and lower voltages applied, can increase the time to reach full charge exponentially, even if you recently polished your '280 amp' alternator.

So how was the 'junk' battery treated?
The 6+ year old 'still going strong battery', how was it treated?

Hot ambient temps, slowly drawing it dead, and not truly fully recharging it promptly thereafter, keeping it in the 80 to 90% charged range, is a kick to the groin of any battery, no matter whether it is a 430$ Odyssey, or a 50$ Valuepower.

AGMs are not super batteries, immune to abuse.

They can be little petulant princesses that take their ball and go home prematurely, when not treated well.

When treated well, they can give impressive performance for a highly respectable period of time.

My last group 27 Northstar AGM lasted 6 years, which is not all that impressive, but it also got deep cycled ~1200 times in those 6 years while also being a starting battery, which is dang impressive.

It lived outside the engine compartment, and was promptly returned to a true full charge, often.

My 2.8l Durmax takes the behemoth group 49 AGM type. Usually around 200 bucks. NAPA also has Odyssey brand for around 280.00. I'm planning on proactively replacing my OEM battery in July before I go on a trip towing a travel trailer. Thinking about spend in the extra $ for the Odyssey AGM. Is the Odyssey a better built battery? Worth the extra cost?

My 2.8l Durmax takes the behemoth group 49 AGM type. Usually around 200 bucks. NAPA also has Odyssey brand for around 280.00. I'm planning on proactively replacing my OEM battery in July before I go on a trip towing a travel trailer. Thinking about spend in the extra $ for the Odyssey AGM. Is the Odyssey a better built battery? Worth the extra cost?
Considering my AGM battery lasted 13.5 years, I think you might be a bit early. But I would just get the battery load tested or take it out and give it a full charge before your trip and see what the voltage is. If you get close to 12.7 volts after charging and it's been sitting for a few hours afterwards, then it's probably fine. The Odyssey might be overkill and some reports of premature failure anyway. Most of the major brands like Champion and the ones at Autozone/Advance Auto are JCI/Clarios batteries anyway. I would just avoid the Exide batteries. Mine was a Varta which is also JCI/Clarios and the H8/49. But mine is in the trunk would could account for additional longevity.

When I was looking to upgrade to AGM in my jeep because of winch abuse I ended up going with Tractor supply. Good pricing and 3 year free replacement.

download (1).jpg

Dang battery in the Silverado died again, but it was my fault. Jump started it and it's fine now. Truck was hitched up to our travel trailer overnight and forgot to pull the wiring harness. Trailer has a dead battery, so it was pulling parasitic power from the truck (trailer doesn't have a battery kill switch).

WalMart has their AGM's back in stock again. H6 size is $150. The shortage earlier in the year probably due to covid related supply-chain issues.

Until it finally dies out all the way, maybe I'll invest in a NOCO boost jump starter.

if you want the best northstar /odyssey

or batteries plus X2Power

all basically same thing.

should be this one ?
also 10% off code
free-install-bops.jpg

I'm a HUGE fan of the AGM Duracell batteries sold at Sams Club (they're made by East Penn.) So much so in fact that I have 4 of them.

I too am in South Texas (just outside of Corpus Christi) and have ZERO issues. One of the Group 65's in my F150 sits on location for 14 days at a time in the sun w/o the truck moving most of the time and never fails me.

Did you look on RockAuto?

When I got a more reliable battery for my previous work truck, I priced one locally, and on RockAuto. I ended up getting an AC Delco AGM (since that’s all they will ship) for the same price, or less, than the nearby Walmart, NAPA, Oreillys, Advance Auto, and even Menards.

It worked great in that truck… and I did a forehead slap when I realized I forgot to swap it out before trading in the truck (I have a couple of passable flooded Group 94/49 batteries I could have put in and kept a good AGM). 😖. Live and learn.

But the AC Delco AGM Group 94 was a great choice for my old Hemi Ram. Someone is going to get a good battery…

Back