AGM Battery recommendation for 2017 Silverado 5.3

2017 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 2wd

Climate: South Texas, so it's hot and humid the majority of the year, and rarely freezes except for this year. ....

Problem: Truck has been having intermittent hard starts, recently when the freeze started and now yesterday and today I had to jump start it.

I wanted to get the Wal-Mart EverStart AGM because they have 4-5 year full replacement warranties. I bought one for our 2013 Honda Pilot last year and have had zero issues with it. The Honda was driven rarely during the freeze and it still starts up fine.

Appearantly when I look at WalMart website, the AGM batteries are unavailable.

Locally, I can get the following:

Diehard Platinum AGM from Advance Auto Parts

Duralast Platinum AGM from Auto Zone

Both have 3 year warranties.

I'm mainly looking for reliability, since this year I may be doing a lot of out of town driving as I did last year.

Any recommendations for my Silverado?

Thank you for your suggestions and experiences.

I forgot to mention:

SuperStart Platinum AGM at O'Reilly's

@slacktide_bitog , yes there are some NAPA's where I live. Problem is they are not as common compared to Walmart, AutoZone, AAP, etc.

I would prefer to get a battery from a large chain, since I use this truck to pull our family's travel trailer out of town. Also, it's very possible I will be having to travel again throughout Texas for work purposes.

NAPA's aren't as prevalent in Texas compared to the stores mentioned above. So where ever I buy from, needs to have a lot of locations here in Texas.

@tyman , same goes for Sam's Club, although we do have a membership there.

Does anyone know if WalMart has stopped selling the AGM's, or maybe their vendor is just super backlogged?

You're probably only likely to find two manufacturers of these batteries locally. East Penn or Clarios.

Clarios makes Diehard (Advance Auto), Walmart/Everstart (in most locations), O'Reilly SuperStart, Interstate, Duralast (Autozone).

East Penn makes Duracell (Sam's Club and Batteries + Bulbs), and most Napa.

Both are reputable brands and should suit you fine. My own preference is East Penn since they seem to manufacture more product in the US, whereas a lot of Clarios stuff comes from south of the border.

Knowing that your choices are the same battery with a different label slapped on, you should shop by price vs warranty, whichever one is more important to you. Personally I value price over warranty, because if properly maintained, one shouldn't ever need the warranty.

I recently bought two AGMs, I ended up with a Duracell from Sam's (best price, made in USA) for one of my vehicles, and a Diehard, which was the most expensive, but the only brand available locally for the size I needed. Both seem very high quality, though I was unable to find a country of origin on the Diehard; most Clarios AGM are made in Mexico from what I've gathered on the web, I suspect this one is too.

I forgot to mention:

SuperStart Platinum AGM at O'Reilly's

@slacktide_bitog , yes there are some NAPA's where I live. Problem is they are not as common compared to Walmart, AutoZone, AAP, etc.

I would prefer to get a battery from a large chain, since I use this truck to pull our family's travel trailer out of town. Also, it's very possible I will be having to travel again throughout Texas for work purposes.

NAPA's aren't as prevalent in Texas compared to the stores mentioned above. So where ever I buy from, needs to have a lot of locations here in Texas.

@tyman , same goes for Sam's Club, although we do have a membership there.

Does anyone know if WalMart has stopped selling the AGM's, or maybe their vendor is just super backlogged?

Oreilys Super Start batteries are made by East Penn/ Deka

In that case, get the O'Reilly battery

+1 on the "why an AGM" question.
I've nothing against AGMs aside from "them" wanting me to buy one.
Did they develop them (for whatever reason) and now want to sell them for some inside reason (cheaper to make?) over lead/acid ones?
I've been reading about AGMs but don't remember seeing resistance to heat as a selling point.
If I lived in searing Texas, I'd jump on whichever resisted heat more.

Have you had current battery tested? Your truck is kind of new to need a battery but maybe. I would still have it tested. Why are you sold on an AGM?

I would get one made by EastPenn.
Having almost the same vehicle as OP ill say that the new vehicles are very sensitive to voltage dipping in a battery that is not technically bad. Slower cranking and odd electronic dash glitches are the symptoms i had. My 2002 f150 OEM battery lasted almost 10 years so i could have probably taken the chevy battery out and put it in the ford for another few years. I prefer AGM for maint free sealed vs wet cell maybe with venting requirement and need to add water.

Personally I would wait until the cold weather lets up. Tuesday it was -30 and the five year old AAP AGM in my Sierra would not turn over at all when I tried remote starting it so I drove my car, next morning it was 0, when I tried again it fired right up. Been driving it every day since and it acts like Tuesday morning never happened. I'm guessing I can get the rest of the year out of it and maybe more. I will throw my Ctek on it once it warms up a bit.

Oreilys Super Start batteries are made by East Penn/ Deka
As of two weeks ago, Super Start Platinum AGM @ OReilly's were made by Clarios, at least in the H8 and H9 sizes I was looking at in the store. There was no question, they are identical in every way to the DieHard, Duralast and other Clarios batteries. I own both East Penn and Clarios AGM batteries, the brand is easy to recognize.

I'd say it's quite possible they are using different manufacturers depending on region or perhaps battery size. Other brands such as Walmart Evermaxx are known to do this.

I took the truck over to Auto Zone to have the battery tested.

They advised the battery and alternator tested good, but their diagnostic tool showed the battery needed to be charged.

Sunday I'll take it over to AAP and have them double check the battery's condition.

I'll advise on what AAP says.

Do you have Pepboys? Their Champion battery is a 4 year warranty instead of 3 like everyone else. Also Champion is a Clarios battery. Seems like they kill all the discounts during the winter when most batteries die. They were doing 25% off for a while, but now are down to 15% and the discount codes at Autozone/Advance might not work, they used to have 20-25%. Check retailmenot.com for the latest codes.

I agree with Wolf359 but think about if Pep Boys will be around to service that extra warranty...that's what would keep me from buying one from them...I've been to several local area Pep Boys and dealt with their online and corporate during the recent Shell Gas Truck oil rebate...they sure do not see to have their stuff in order enough for me to spend my dollars with them over somewhere like Costco or Walmart...

Bill

I agree with Wolf359 but think about if Pep Boys will be around to service that extra warranty...that's what would keep me from buying one from them...I've been to several local area Pep Boys and dealt with their online and corporate during the recent Shell Gas Truck oil rebate...they sure do not see to have their stuff in order enough for me to spend my dollars with them over somewhere like Costco or Walmart...

Bill
Yeah, while I agree Pepboys is on shaky ground, I think of them like Sears. Sears was going under for years but still hasn't gone under yet. Although I suppose at one point it could get bad enough where the whole chain shuts down. Still you'd think that anyone that can survive the pandemic might have better luck lasting a few more years. Only issue with Walmart and Costco is that they don't really have good prices on AGM batteries if they even carry them.

Walmart and Costco batteries, along with Sam’s Club are always one of the less expensive options, with auto parts stores consistently being most expensive, at least in my neck of the woods.

Back