Help me decide on an H5 Battery

Back in 2017, I replaced the OEM battery in my 2013 Elantra Coupe with an AGM 'Platinum' battery from Advance Auto. I bought it as a long term investment, but the battery has died. Given all that I've heard about AGM batteries having a long life, I was expecting it to last longer, but it is what it is. And it's after the 3 year warranty, so I gotta spend more.

With that being said.......

In doing some research on replacement H5 batteries, I checked Walmart to see if they had any H5 AGM batteries, but they don't. However, they do have a 'Lead Acid' battery for $119 and a 3 year free replacement warranty.

Aside from Pep Boys, every place I see has AGM batteries in the $200 range with a 3 year free replacement warranty. Pep Boys is $240ish (IIRC) with a 4 year free replacement warranty.

Admittedly, the electronics in my Hyundai seemed to 'like' the AGM battery as opposed to the OEM battery (electronics were glitchy from time to time with the OEM battery), but it's not enough to be life altering.

Given the details, what direction would you go? Are there any AGM batteries competitively priced or with better long term quality that you may know of?

I am having a hard time shelling out extra $$$ for an AGM with a warranty that is the exact same as the Walmart battery.

I've got an AGM battery that is 13 years old and another one that is 10 years old. But the car originally came with an AGM battery. Sounds like your car isn't expecting an AGM battery and it has a different charging profile. I would just get a regular battery in your case then. Or throw a charger on the battery once or twice a year to make sure it stays fully charged.

I've got an AGM battery that is 13 years old and another one that is 10 years old. But the car originally came with an AGM battery. Sounds like your car isn't expecting an AGM battery and it has a different charging profile. I would just get a regular battery in your case then. Or throw a charger on the battery once or twice a year to make sure it stays fully charged.
This is good information about the charging profile. I have no problems throwing it on a charger once or twice a year.

O'Reilly has their AGM's for $199 and are East Penn, there is also a $15 gift card rebate on this one.

I have an AGM Platinum from AAP and at a little over 5 years it starting to show it's age, I'm not convinced for $30 more to go with an AGM again, like you I expected it to last longer.

Batteries Plus carries deka/east penn. Good batteries and USA made, and the prices are competitive. I’d head their way, going with the brand more than staying with agm vs flooded.

I was sitting here thinking about getting a Sam's membership since I hear they now sell prime grade beef. So perhaps I get a membership, get some prime ribeye and a new battery lol.
Worth it! I have both Sam's/Costco memberships. Savings each year easily cover price of membership of both each year. The price of gasoline today is $0.35 cents per gallon cheaper at both Sam's Club or Costco than other local stations.

Worth it! I have both Sam's/Costco memberships. Savings each year easily cover price of membership of both each year. The price of gasoline today is $0.35 cents per gallon cheaper at both Sam's Club or Costco than other local stations.
I ended up going with your suggestion on Sam's. I noticed they have group 65 AGM batteries as well and two vehicles in my fleet carry them and are due for replacement. I will end up saving money overall. Thank you!!!

Anything from East Penn/Deka is a good choice. Napa's batteries are Deka. Someone else said O'R is Deka, though there aren't any near me.

Napa has the H5 AGM for $184, and there is a 20% off sale (making it $150) if you buy a total of 3 items or more. While the sale mentions a "bucket" and items that can fit inside the bucket, you don't have to buy the bucket if you order online, and online orders aren't limited to what can fit inside the bucket, either. However, sale items are not included and don't count towards the 3-item minimum.

I was sitting here thinking about getting a Sam's membership since I hear they now sell prime grade beef. So perhaps I get a membership, get some prime ribeye and a new battery lol.
Have you tried the Ribeye yet? Costco carries it too, about 1/3 the price of eating at a nice steakhouse.

Have you tried the Ribeye yet? Costco carries it too, about 1/3 the price of eating at a nice steakhouse.
I have two prime grade Ribeyes in the fridge. I have a choice grade Ribeye I'll be having for lunch today (first in, first out) and I'll be trying the prime grade Ribeye tomorrow. I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. I have been considering a Costco membership as well.

Tried the ribeye this morning and honestly, I was not impressed. I've had better Choice grade. I noticed when buying it that it didn't have lots of marbling, but I chose the best one available in hopes that I'd be surprised. I will give them another try before I write them off for good. How is Costco's prime beef?

Tried the ribeye this morning and honestly, I was not impressed. I've had better Choice grade. I noticed when buying it that it didn't have lots of marbling, but I chose the best one available in hopes that I'd be surprised. I will give them another try before I write them off for good. How is Costco's prime beef?
Only had it once but it was very good. Maybe once the weather gets better here I'll give it another shot.

I just tried installing my battery and either I am having a bad day or the negative battery cable is too short. The car calls for an H5, all I've ever used is an H5 and the replacement is an H5. I am a little bit at a loss.

I loosened up the other end of the cable and pulled it and snugged on it and was able to get it to fit. But wow......I think I will pull out my hydraulic crimper at some point and customize a longer cable.

H5? What's H5? I see 47... a lill new on me I guess.

For OP: the group size often has a letter along w/the number (yours is a group 47 battery. It might look something like this
(47G) to mean "positive cable is on the right". I wonder if that's what is going on w/yours. U must switch the battery side to side or
get a battery with +/- posts switched?

Most my batteries last 5 to 8 yrs. I often use 1/2 batteries (as seen in honda) as I have lill use for more (few accessories & no 150 amp alternators). A/c is often in the DDs but not work vehicles. I have my 1st AGM, it took awhile to find 1 w/side posts (I did a whole chargng system change & did not want top posts as oe... too close to the hood for my comfort). I also gota NECO, mostly as it was on sale. My wheeled jump start/charger is older, no AMG selector. Let's see if it goes the regular 1/2 decade + or not...

Last edited:
Back