After years of treating gas the same way two of my small engines refuses to start.

That’s what I’m saying it could be 10,11,12,13 percent ethanol just can’t be less than 10 or equal to E-15.
That’s why I run ethanol free in my car and truck along with any of my small engine equipment.

After much Googling I found that Nevada has a rule that any gasoline that contains more than 10 percent ethanol but not more than 15 percent ethanol must be labeled on the pump as E15.

Other states may have similar provisions. Federal law may have similar provisions as well.

EDIT: Found it. Here is the Federal law that requires any gasoline with more than 10% ethanol but not more than 15% ethanol to be labeled on the pump as E15:

40 CFR § 80.1501 (a) Any retailer or wholesale purchaser-consumer who sells, dispenses, or offers for sale or dispensing, gasoline-ethanol blends that contain greater than 10.0 volume percent ethanol and not more than 15.0 volume percent ethanol shall affix the following conspicuous and legible label to the fuel dispenser: Attention E15 Up to 15% ethanol Use only in • 2001 and newer passenger vehicles • Flex-fuel vehicles Don’t use in other vehicles, boats, or gasoline-powered equipment. It may cause damage and is prohibited by Federal law.

Last edited:
After much Googling I found that Nevada has a rule that any gasoline that contains more than 10 percent ethanol but not more than 15 percent ethanol must be labeled on the pump as E15.

Other states may have similar provisions. Federal law may have similar provisions as well.

EDIT: Found it. Here is the Federal law that requires any gasoline with more than 10% ethanol but not more than 15% ethanol to be labeled on the pump as E15:

40 CFR § 80.1501 (a) Any retailer or wholesale purchaser-consumer who sells, dispenses, or offers for sale or dispensing, gasoline-ethanol blends that contain greater than 10.0 volume percent ethanol and not more than 15.0 volume percent ethanol shall affix the following conspicuous and legible label to the fuel dispenser: Attention E15 Up to 15% ethanol Use only in • 2001 and newer passenger vehicles • Flex-fuel vehicles Don’t use in other vehicles, boats, or gasoline-powered equipment. It may cause damage and is prohibited by Federal law.
Thanks for the clarification

I'm so annoyed right now. For years, I have been purchasing 87 octane fuel and adding Sta-Bil without any problems. I follow the directions on the packaging. It has been a few months since I used my ride on lawn mower and generator and today neither one would start. Last time I used them they started right up. A squirt of carb cleaner and they both turn right over for a few seconds meaning both carbs are probably gummed up. This fuel was purchased in the summer (I believe there is no ethanol here during summer months) and the Sta-Bil was added right away into standard plastic gas containers. I even use the fuel shutoff value each and every time I use the lawnmower and generator to make sure all the fuel is used up in the carburetor.

This happened after the first year I owned my snow blower 10 years ago and using the method above I have since had 10 drama-free years of operation and most of that gas was E10. I'm only buying 10 gallons of gas at a time and I go through that in less than 6 months. What the heck else can I do to prevent this situation? Is the Sta-Bil 360 ethanol and storage a better product?
When using ethanol gas I double the recommended dose of stabil.
I also started using the marine version with great success.

How old is your Stabil? I've haven't been a fan of Stabil since I saw what happens to it after sitting in the bottle for two or three years.

Last couple of years I've very been happy using E0 marine gas with Seafoam mixed in.
Stabil is good for 2 years tops......they state that on their website.
They even tell you how to read the date codes on the bottle

Back