Advice on selling car

If you sold the previous Jetta for $2K more than you paid for it, that is a capital gain in the eyes of the IRS. Since you had the Jetta less than a year, that is a short term capital gain and you will pay your normal income tax rate on that $2K gain. Just something else to factor in to the cost of switching cars.

Normally cars depreciate, so it never plays a factor since people end up selling for less than they paid. However this current market is whacky and presenting a whole new set of interesting financial issues. Especially for people making $10K-$15K profits selling their trucks.

Nice, I like the wheels. As for sunroofs, I'm not a fan either but as far as I know the only issues are with the big pano ones and those are random.

I've been lazily looking at Arteons and have focused mostly on SE's due to lower level of tech and no giant sunroof.

Here she is. More pictures tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but in the first pic, the rear bumper looks lighter than the quarter panel. Not sure if that's just the way the light falls on each part, or if it's a difference in color.

I hate it when something new gets damaged. As the repair is always in the back of my mind. However, over the years, my wife has run over fire hydrants, those mushroom shaped "bollards" have opened up the side of the F150 like a tin can (twice) and a few side-swipe accidents with other cars. I have found the following:

1) Replacement of damaged parts (doors, bumpers etc) with OEM parts is troublefree.
2) Quality body work, real true quality, is often better than OEM quality. Finding this is difficult, but not impossible. Requires body shop agreement on paint brand, number of coats, and final treatment (sand n buff).
3) Lower quality paint, like the Jaguar dealer did on my Jag, looks great at first, then fades, deteriorates and chips faster than OEM paint.
4) Allstate has a lifetime warranty, and it's worth it! Low quality work gets done again. Renewing an older vehicle to near new.

My F150 right hand side was destroyed twice. The new doors are perfect, and the paint job is better than the rest of the truck. The Ford dealer worked with me and I'm very pleased, even 12 years down the road.

Here she is. More pictures tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Make sure you don't get in you neighbor's Ford Fusion by accident! :) :) ;)

2020-ford.jpg

54FC0040-ford (2).jpg

j/k ! Have good luck and enjoy the fresh car!

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but in the first pic, the rear bumper looks lighter than the quarter panel. Not sure if that's just the way the light falls on each part, or if it's a difference in color.

Great - now he has to sell that one, you just had to destroy his hopes and dreams didn’t you :ROFLMAO:

As you probably know it’s somewhat rare for soft bumpers to match. People often don’t notice until an accident and some colors are worse than others but if they were a perfect match I’d be asking who fixed it.

OP - nice car it got a few equipment upgrades for 21 right? Wonder what the driver for VW using SE wheels vs the previously all painted wheel (they were the same wheel, but all silver vs black/machined finish)

Nice, I like the wheels. As for sunroofs, I'm not a fan either but as far as I know the only issues are with the big pano ones and those are random.

I've been lazily looking at Arteons and have focused mostly on SE's due to lower level of tech and no giant sunroof.
Yep. The Jetta uses a pano roof now. Plenty of reports on them creaking and spontaneous imploding / exploding. Out of warranty (if they cover it) it is a $5000 repair.

Yep. The Jetta uses a pano roof now. Plenty of reports on them creaking and spontaneous imploding / exploding. Out of warranty (if they cover it) it is a $5000 repair.
Ugh. So based on their great past success with the pano roof they have expanded it in the line up. Ugh again.

Yea, that stuck out like a sore thumb for me also. It shows up in the other photos too. My el cheapo Jeep Patriot has that same paint affliction, so I notice it on other cars right away. My guess is that the bumpers are painted off the car at another facility. The paint might be identicle, but it gets applied slightly different so the metallic pigments don't layout the same and it is quite evident under different lighting conditions.

Another scenario: I've been to my share of auto factories in Michigan. They all have a respray booth where flawed panels are resprayed for minor defects.

1628349452321.png

Here's my Patriot - the front bumper is obvious. It's going on 9 years old, with one door repainted 7 years ago and doing just fine.
1628350862525.jpg

Last edited:
In that photo of the new vehicle, the rear bumper does look like a slightly different color.
It looks like a mismatch because a flex additive is mixed with the paint used on the bumpers to make the paint somewhat flexible so it isn't hard/brittle and subject to cracking. The additive causes the metallic to lay differently as it dries and is the most visibly apparent on silver and gold vehicles.

If you sold the previous Jetta for $2K more than you paid for it, that is a capital gain in the eyes of the IRS. Since you had the Jetta less than a year, that is a short term capital gain and you will pay your normal income tax rate on that $2K gain. Just something else to factor in to the cost of switching cars.

Normally cars depreciate, so it never plays a factor since people end up selling for less than they paid. However this current market is whacky and presenting a whole new set of interesting financial issues. Especially for people making $10K-$15K profits selling their trucks.

Carmax isn't issuing a 1099.

It looks like a mismatch because a flex additive is mixed with the paint used on the bumpers to make the paint somewhat flexible so it isn't hard/brittle and subject to cracking. The additive causes the metallic to lay differently as it dries and is the most visibly apparent on silver and gold vehicles.
Correct. But some vehicle mfg. adjust for that and get the match perfect, others not so much. Just something to catch the eye every time you step out the door......or just get used to it. If it came from a body shop repair like that, some would gripe. Some would expect a 100% brand new vehicle from the factory to be 100% perfect. Obviously not a problem for me, especially on an entry level, econobox Patriot.

Last edited:
I would agree it's not uncommon for paint not to match on bumpers. The paint DOESN'T match on his new Jetta on the rear bumper. For somebody as OCD as he is-I'm surprised he bought this color.

I would agree it's not uncommon for paint not to match on bumpers. The paint DOESN'T match on his new Jetta on the rear bumper. For somebody as OCD as he is-I'm surprised he bought this color.
The paint is factory as far as I can tell. It only looks different from certain angles in bright light. Obviously I want the paint to match but the durability of a factory paint job is more important.

I believe if you have glass coverage, it should be covered under insurance. I always get glass coverage with no deducible. My Mercedes pano roof creaked too, thankfully there was a youtube video out there where the guy dropped the headliner and tightened up 6 bolts with loctite and it went away. Only had to drop the back half, dropping the entire headliner was a real project, but just the back half or so wasn't bad, an hour later and the noise was gone. You'd hear it going over a ramp at an angle as the body would flex. I've had pano roofs for the last 5-7 years and none shattered yet. It's nice for rear passengers and the opening is bigger so it's still nicer than the regular sunroof. Plus you don't have to wax the roof, it's all glass.

I believe if you have glass coverage, it should be covered under insurance. I always get glass coverage with no deducible. My Mercedes pano roof creaked too, thankfully there was a youtube video out there where the guy dropped the headliner and tightened up 6 bolts with loctite and it went away. Only had to drop the back half, dropping the entire headliner was a real project, but just the back half or so wasn't bad, an hour later and the noise was gone. You'd hear it going over a ramp at an angle as the body would flex. I've had pano roofs for the last 5-7 years and none shattered yet. It's nice for rear passengers and the opening is bigger so it's still nicer than the regular sunroof. Plus you don't have to wax the roof, it's all glass.
Certainly some fare better than others. I’m just saying there have been more than a few reports of the Jetta roofs shattering. There is even one on video. The car was parked in a parking lot all day and the roof began to crack. Maybe an hour or so later it imploded. Most will be fine I’m sure. Not sure what causes some to fail.

Certainly some fare better than others. I’m just saying there have been more than a few reports of the Jetta roofs shattering. There is even one on video. The car was parked in a parking lot all day and the roof began to crack. Maybe an hour or so later it imploded. Most will be fine I’m sure. Not sure what causes some to fail.

I'm not a huge sunroof fan either, but unfortunately you usually need to take it to get the good options. Other than a GTI that had a squeaky sunroof when closed, they haven't given me any issues.

Back