Advice on selling car

My experience of the damaged described by the OP is that it will have no effect on resale value. At least that's been my experience with similar damage/repair at trade in time.
It likely wouldn’t have. As long as no one knew. However for OCD owners it’s all you can see every time you get in the car.

My experience of the damaged described by the OP is that it will have no effect on resale value. At least that's been my experience with similar damage/repair at trade in time.

Unless the airbags deploy, it generally has no impact. Most vehicles suffer some minor accident in their lifetime.

Reactions: CKN
Yep, might as well get a good as new car and live happy. Sure beats the alternative. The '22 models may be around the same price as '21 models because of the crazy market we're seeing.

Personally, I would keep the car and when the paint gets so bad (maybe unlikely) that you can't stand it, Have the entire car repainted.

Unless the airbags deploy, it generally has no impact. Most vehicles suffer some minor accident in their lifetime.

Exactly. We are taking about mass produced economy cars. This isn’t a Ferrari or some collectible. Most people and dealerships expect there to have been some collision work on a vehicle at some point once it’s a few years old.

OP, glad you could get out of it since we all have read your threads and you are clearly OCD about your vehicles. Hopefully you can get a new one and it’s trouble free. I drove 2 hours to pickup my 2019 Raptor new at a dealer and found a 1/2” scratch through the paint on the left rear door. Initially I was mad and thought about backing out of the sale but the dealer was cool and cut me a check for the cost to properly repair it and I left it be. It was almost a relief to have the first scratch already over with.

However for OCD owners it’s all you can see every time you get in the car.
I had a car that had around $15k of bodywork done thanks to someone backing into me and the body shop manager pointed out that the hood alignment was very close to perfect but not quite perfect. We're talking less than a millimeter of difference and I never would have known/noticed if the shop hadn't pointed it out to me. To get it perfect would've meant they'd need to keep the car for another 2-4 weeks and I really just wanted the car back so I could turn in the POS rental Sentra I had.

It bothered me every single time I looked at the front of the car. 🤣 Between getting backed into, hitting a deer, and hitting a dog that car ended up with over $30k in body work.

Oddly enough I sold that car to CarMax when I'd finally had enough.

Yeah, both Mercedes have some scrapes and scratches. I don't worry about it anymore, new ones pop up all the time. The price of living in the city. Thankfully one is 14 years old now and the other is 11 so it doesn't really matter that much anymore. I think they were both in accidents before when I bought them, which is probably why they were cheaper. Didn't really care as I was just after a car that had some good options and they all worked at the time I bought it.

I had a car that had around $15k of bodywork done thanks to someone backing into me and the body shop manager pointed out that the hood alignment was very close to perfect but not quite perfect. We're talking less than a millimeter of difference and I never would have known/noticed if the shop hadn't pointed it out to me. To get it perfect would've meant they'd need to keep the car for another 2-4 weeks and I really just wanted the car back so I could turn in the POS rental Sentra I had.
So probably better than factory, but because it was pointed out to you, now it bugged you.

Does anyone really think the factory, turning out a car a minute (or every 5) give or take is going to put the same effort into alignment of body panels, doors, hoods and trunk lids compared to a body shop?

Ought to just keep the jetta, clap it out, and use it as a ricer.

img_20190316_140418_330_2a0209cb20a714cb3105b45bfa6a9897bd22161f.jpg

or turn it into the greatest off roading automobile ever, I KNOW you want to lift it,
when you do it is an all purpose vehicle, 4wd? weld or bolt on a hitch in the back.

I'd keep and continue to enjoy your Jetta. Your new car will only have something happen to it as well. I know things like this drive us crazy, but the only way to have a mint car is to park it in the garage and never drive it.

Here she is. More pictures tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Attachments

• 3B1D167C-E506-40F2-BC04-8C6B64267B06.jpeg
    3B1D167C-E506-40F2-BC04-8C6B64267B06.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 54FC0040-4503-423F-A301-C5AEF1CD70BC.jpeg
    54FC0040-4503-423F-A301-C5AEF1CD70BC.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 549859FE-93E0-4F6E-BA0A-B7202432DB61.jpeg
    549859FE-93E0-4F6E-BA0A-B7202432DB61.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 59
Back