Advice on 200k service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm nearing 200k on my Civic, so I am looking ahead to the inevitable timing belt replacement. At 100k, I had the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, other belts, and valve cover gasket replaced while they had it taken apart. The car pretty much performs just like it always has over the past 10 years I've owned it. There is a bit of a tick at idle and sometimes it idles a little rough once I get back into stop and go traffic on my 45 mile commute. It seems to be more noticable in the afternoon where it has been 90-100 degrees lately. Over all, nothing I am too worried about.

So my question is what should this service include? My plan was to do the previous service again, but don't know if I should have anything else swapped out while they are in there. Since this car refuses to fail me, I have no plans to get rid of it, especially since my long commute probably isn't going away any time soon. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Spark plugs, trans fluid, coolant hoses that need it but definitely the upper radiator hose. Does it have a changeable fuel filter?

What year Civic?

I would do the same as what you did at 100k miles. When were the plugs last replaced? Hoses sound like a good idea too.

Have the valve clearances ever been checked?

Last edited:
For service, all the things you did at 100K...but you're at the age where vacuum hoses and rubber parts start cracking and breaking...take a good look at all your hoses and start replacing the ones with degradation/cracking... Check the valve clearance, clean the TB and manifold...Check that the EGR valve is seating well...

Definently change out the trans. fluid, coolant, plugs and maybe swap out the brake fluid. As you did before, since they are "in" there, replace all the inner belts, water pump and all the other stuff. That's really about all I did on our 02 with the V6, lost the transmission at 135K, but Honda replaced minus 500 dollars....good deal I thought. Might want to check and see how much slack you have in the emergency brake, it may need a little tightening up. Check and see if the valve covers are leaking, may need new gasket or re-torque. On the tapping, if they are going to replace the valve cover gaskets, check for valve lash, that may cure your tapping sound. If not, move to a thicker oil, oil thins out when it gets warm and that is what your hearing on hot days.

Any potential rubber like hoses, cam seal, suspension parts like struts, ignition parts like plug wires, emission parts like O2 sensor, etc. I'd start checking everything that you can check and replace anything that is degrading. The thermostat is probably "fail safe" and stuck opened already too.

I just hit the 200k mile mark on truck that's been just as reliable as your car.

In the last week, I've done the thermostat, coolant drain/refill (flush wasn't needed), all new coolant hoses, belts, spark plugs, fuel filter, chassis lubrication.

Didn't do the ATF, cause I do it every year anyways; my timing belt was just done a few years back.

It is a 2000 Civic. I was thinking about having the valve clearances checked and likely adjusted, seeing this might be the first time it is at a Honda dealer in about 8 years. I might head up to NJ and go to Hamilton Honda for their $389 deal. DC area indie shops usually want $7-800 just for the belt/water pump, never mind the tensioner and anything else. I think dealers were near $1k when I checked with one for the 100k service. This place seems to be an oddity in the world of dealerships judging by the price on the timing belt. My only worry is having work done and then driving 4 hours home. If something isn't right, I'd be in a bad spot.

I was thinking of doing the rubber hoses as well since they are original. I check them (give them a squeeze) fairly regularly and they don't seem brittle or anything, but while the radiator is drained for the water pump it isn't a bad idea.

Plugs and wires are one of the few things I can handle myself, but they are due.

ATF was done earlier this year, 3x's drain and fill.

Fuel filter is changeable, and was done once....a long time ago. Probably time for a new one.

I'll probably have them inspect some of the other stuff listed here too. Seeing I was expecting to pay upwards of $1k on this before I found Hamilton Honda, I can easily swallow some extra cost to be very thorough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back