Advice needed for 2015 Subaru Outback BS9 that consume?

Hello BITOG!

I bought a used 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i. FB25 boxer direct inject petrol engine. Around 48,000km / 30,000mi on the clock now.
Previous owner probably didnt care about it much. Saw a bit of neglect but also cheaper than market price.

Last oil change was done by myself around 1.5 years ago. Lost 1L in 6500km / 4000mi when using the Idemitsu 0W20 filled by Subaru dealer.
I switched to Ravenol DXG 5W30 PAO Full Synthetic because it is the cheapest thing I found locally, but I didnt keep an eye on the dipstick either.

Anyway I reckon it is time for another oil change.
It would not be my daily driver. When I drive I push or engine brake to above 4500rpm regularly.
I can get A40 Castrol 0W30, A40 Mobil 1 0W40 or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W30 in my country for about the same price.
Which one would you go for? Or is there another oil that you would highly recommend for this car?

Personally I would go with the Mobil 1 0w-40, it’s what I have currently in my 2014 Outback. Mine has been a drinker its whole life, finally stepped to the 40 weight earlier this year. Engine is less clattery under load and consumption seems to have slowed. I’ve only had it in for ~800 miles so far but I check it often just to see where it’s at.

It’s a great oil and highly regarded on here, plenty of threads to search on for that.

Hello BITOG!

I bought a used 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i. FB25 boxer direct inject petrol engine. Around 48,000km / 30,000mi on the clock now.
Previous owner probably didnt care about it much. Saw a bit of neglect but also cheaper than market price.

Last oil change was done by myself around 1.5 years ago. Lost 1L in 6500km / 4000mi when using the Idemitsu 0W20 filled by Subaru dealer.
I switched to Ravenol DXG 5W30 PAO Full Synthetic because it is the cheapest thing I found locally, but I didnt keep an eye on the dipstick either.

Anyway I reckon it is time for another oil change.
It would not be my daily driver. When I drive I push or engine brake to above 4500rpm regularly.
I can get A40 Castrol 0W30, A40 Mobil 1 0W40 or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W30 in my country for about the same price.
Which one would you go for? Or is there another oil that you would highly recommend for this car?
I like 0W30 Euro spec oils for my Outback, as we have winter here, I put 5L in and get about 4.5l out after 10-11-12000km plus whatever is in filter. Pennzoil Platinum Euro lx is easiest for me to get so I use that, but I'm sure any of the reputable oils is fine. If we didn't have winter I would use a 5W30. I have run just for just the summer on regular cheap 5W30 pennzoil once, I doubt it mattered much either.

Personally I would go with the Mobil 1 0w-40, it’s what I have currently in my 2014 Outback. Mine has been a drinker its whole life, finally stepped to the 40 weight earlier this year. Engine is less clattery under load and consumption seems to have slowed. I’ve only had it in for ~800 miles so far but I check it often just to see where it’s at.

It’s a great oil and highly regarded on here, plenty of threads to search on for that.

Thanks and nice to see fellow Outbacker :p
Actually I like the idea of using M1 0W40, because it is what my other cars use! Any noticeable impact to fuel economy?

I like 0W30 Euro spec oils for my Outback, as we have winter here, I put 5L in and get about 4.5l out after 10-11-12000km plus whatever is in filter. Pennzoil Platinum Euro lx is easiest for me to get so I use that, but I'm sure any of the reputable oils is fine. If we didn't have winter I would use a 5W30. I have run just for just the summer on regular cheap 5W30 pennzoil once, I doubt it mattered much either.
Sounds like the FB engine prefer thicker Euro oils than the watery 0W20!

Are you sure it's not leaking oil rather than burning it? We had a '19 Outback 2.5 that used oil, but it turned out it was leaking oil pretty bad.

Cam carriers and covers on both sides. Passenger side got to the point it was dripping pretty bad. One of the worst ones my dealer had seen. It definitely had plenty of undercoating on that side :oops:
This is the first FB I’ve heard that’s had a dripping problem. Over the years I’ve done 3 of my EJs’ VC & spark plug tube seals but haven’t had any issues with the FA/FBs yet.

Are you sure it's not leaking oil rather than burning it? We had a '19 Outback 2.5 that used oil, but it turned out it was leaking oil pretty bad.
Yea last I time I did oil change was on a ramp. It was clean down there. No oil stain on the garage floor either.

Nothing you’ll be able to statistically assign solely to the oil. Sure, there are some small differences in HTHS, but the differences in viscosity at operating temps is negligible in the big picture.
I guess traffic, temperature and head wind would be bigger issues than oil!

Back