Red Line for my MY18 Subaru Outback H4. But which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A synthetic A3/B4 with other European manufacturers approvals is your safest and best bet. Use with confidence!

Sounds like the Valvoline is the way to go.
I think I'll give the SynPower 5w40 a try. It has literally a s#&*load of manufacturer approvals, from VAG to BMW and Mercedes and it is easily available in Germany.
cool.gif

Basically the fact that the 5w40 is way more common than the 30 tipped the decision to 5w40.

Thank you so much for your help guys!

P.S.: btw, you are right: the engine is a rather tender one. But I do have to admit the combination of the CVT (loving it!) And the relaxed engine makes it the perfect cruiser. It is just perfect for Setzung the ACC on 110-120 mph on the Autobahn and chill towards your destination.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Being in Germany, run a 5W-30 or 5W-40 that is ACEA A3/B4 and has some approvals like LL-01 and 229.5. Maybe Fuchs, Castrol or Liqui-Moly? Redline is not worth it in my opinion.
Germany's oils are some of the best around. Ravenol would be my choice. https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-dxg-sae-5w-30.html their DXG 5w-30 specifically, a PAO+ester base oil with tungsten, moly, and other FM's, probably better than Redline, and has a lot of actual certifications, including LSPI tests. Redline skips most certifications, not good.

Originally Posted By: Napi
P.S.: btw, you are right: the engine is a rather tender one. But I do have to admit the combination of the CVT (loving it!) And the relaxed engine makes it the perfect cruiser. It is just perfect for Setzung the ACC on 110-120 mph on the Autobahn and chill towards your destination.

I think Sezung ACC translates to "set cruise control" in English, if I'm not mistaken. Since the Subaru is an extra-ground-clearance, higher CG, type of vehicle, the thought of cruising at 115 mph is a little unsettling. At least make sure you have V-rated or W-rated speed tires and air them up to 38-45 psi for that craziness.

-20 is a good reason & season, for 0W20/30.

When I first started posting here late in 2004, Redline 5W20 had everyones attention, for top performance in gas engine applications.
Another big name oil back then was Schaefers.

Due to a last minute change of mind I ordered something different now.
Comparing the Valvoline to a domestic product I went for ROWE Synth 5w40.

The "facts" of the virgin oil(tested by an independed lab, not what the manufacturer states):
88.6 viscosity at 40Celsius
14.4 viscosity at 100Celsius
169 viscosity index
-39 Pourpoint
248 Flashpoint
10.2 Total Base Number
1.29 Sulfated Ash
5.8 Evaporation Loss NOACK
5742 Cold Cranking Viscosity -30Celsius

I think it will suit the engine Just right. And most important, it does have the approvals Subaru recommends for my engine.

Again, thank you for your help!

P.S.: "Setzung ACC" was my German T9 kicking in. It was SUPPOSED to say "setting the adaptive cruise control". I hope it is the correct term. The German term would be Abstandtempomat roughly translating to distance speed control. Which does not sound like the proper english term, does it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Napi
Thank you so much for the answers so far!
The Red Line is a bit more expensive than other oils in Germany but Oil is rather expensive anyways so as Long a gallon is 100 USD or less the price is not too important.

I have to admit I was wondering why you suggest low-SAPS Red Line or other low-SAPS oils like the M1 5w30 ESP. Isn't my H4 one of the engines that would benefit from mid- or full-SAPS? (Being a classic gasoline engine without weird particle filters and stuff.
smile.gif
)
Don't get me wrong, I really don't know.
wink.gif

In Germany you have ultra low sulfur gasoline of highest quality. Castrol 0W30 LL04 would be Mid-SAPS oil. Anything that carries MB 229.51, BMW LL04 and VW 505.01 and VW 502.00 is MID-SAPS. If oil carries VW 504.00/507.00 and MB 229.51 and BMW LL04 is Low-SAPS.
Personally, I would go with Castrol 0W30 LL04.

Yeah (removed political content) has nothing to do with oil formulations and manu's requiring them? How pathetically ignorant, or worse you know that is a lie and you still stand behind it for some reason.

Redline couldn't get the API donut because it is a HD oil and in 5w20 and 5w30 they require low additives such as zinc, but we all know this. Somehow the fact that a very precious few oil companies stood up to the API and told them to pound sand we care about formula over your obama standards is a bad thing, and these "TRUE OIL" guys spend every waking post railing against it, lol. Here's the ever loving truth, the minute the main stream brands go to pao/esters because these sparce oils are so bad at protection they are needed, then every one of these "oil guys" will change the colors in two seconds.

Case and point, they decided to pre heat oils in the name of fuel efficiency, or course you cant use this technology in HD truck because that would be kinda STUPID to heat an oil when that truck will be towing 15k pounds. But in the 1500's they heat up the diffs and tranny's. So they make the ZF tranny with heated oil for medium duty trucks, but they make the oil with PAO because they can't get the group 3 to meet their spec, just like they can't with gf-6b. So soon to be many specs will require pao/esters because group 3 can't cut it, and every brand main street will be using them. Then all of a sudden you will see these so called "oil guys" embrace pao/esters. But just so long as it aint called redline, because that is the truth of it. Anytime someone asks about redline it gets railed by all of these "oil guys". lol

The stuff we uncovered at ram forum shared here in the hemi tick thread says it all. Redline will have protection between metal parts where no other known oil will. Many oils tested, of note to date Motul wasn't. To bad so many "oil guys" choose hatred of a brand of oil, blatantly obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully I gave the OP some info on redline like he asked, for what it's worth, I tend to agree a short interval and m1 costco deal or similar might be a good lubrication strategy for your vehicle, unless money is no object. But if that engine gets a tick as many applications seam to be getting, look into the science of redline, it has solved/masked a host of these. It also gets smoother as it ages as noted by many members, peace B

Originally Posted By: burla
Redline couldn't get the API donut because it is a HD oil and in 5w20 and 5w30 they require low additives such as zinc, but we all know this. Somehow the fact that a very precious few oil companies stood up to the API and told them to pound sand...

There are A3/B4 oils out there that do have API certification and are technical synthetics.

zinc levels of redline are 1200ish, can't get the api donut unless it is in the -800ppm range.

It would hardly matter, if Redline got the API donut and was named oil of the year by the epa, PTA, NAACP, ACLU and every body else you can name the same people would say the same thing about it every time it is posted. Just funny to see "oil guys" not appreciate this oil. Especially with seeing it perform where no other oil has, killing hemi tick at an 80% success rate. Not even I would have believe that if I didn't live through 5 years of tests with over 30 guys hemi's. The reports of how smooth that oil makes engines has been out for a long time, but the fact it actually silents lifter knock that other oils haven't, says something about that hearty formula. They build oil one size fits all, and for the most part that works for 95% applications, but if you have an application that would benefit from old style hearty oils, you can still find them but don't expect the API donut.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: burla
zinc levels of redline are 1200ish, can't get the api donut unless it is in the -800ppm range.

It would hardly matter, if Redline got the API donut and was named oil of the year by the epa, PTA, NAACP, ACLU and every body else you can name the same people would say the same thing about it every time it is posted. Just funny to see "oil guys" not appreciate this oil. Especially with seeing it perform where no other oil has, killing hemi tick at an 80% success rate. Not even I would have believe that if I didn't live through 5 years of tests with over 30 guys hemi's. The reports of how smooth that oil makes engines has been out for a long time, but the fact it actually silents lifter knock that other oils haven't, says something about that hearty formula. They build oil one size fits all, and for the most part that works for 95% applications, but if you have an application that would benefit from old style hearty oils, you can still find them but don't expect the API donut.

Huh?

My wife drove that same car for several years. All I fed it was Mobil 1 5w40 TDT. The engine loved this oil.

Originally Posted by burla

Baloney. A3/B4 and HDEOs all have the API Donut, including those with 1200 ppm of phosphorus. A 30 grade might be limited to SL, but the 40 options can and often are SM or SN, or CJ-4, or CK-4, all of which appear in the API Donut.

There may be a few posts missing as they were political in the content. Also if you quoted those posts then that content has been removed.

Please refrain from any political directions.

Thanks, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back