Advance Auto Brand Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a few minutes to spare tonight so I stopped into Advanced Auto on my way by. I was doing the usual -- checking out the oil and filter selection.

I noticed an Advanced Auto brand filter that I don't recall seeing before. The come in a red box and use the Fram numbering system. The filter canister is painted rough red paint (like the finish on the end of the Fram filter but the whole filter is painted with this finish).

I was looking at the AA2 which is the FL820-S Ford equivalent. It uses a black rubber anti-drainback valve (rather than silicone like the FL820-S). The filter inlet holes where oval. I compared side by side with all the other filters there and it looks to me like a well made filter. My guess is that it is made by Purolator for Advance Auto. I picked one up for $2.48 to add to my collection of a dozen or so FL820-S variants.

Anybody else using these?

Ssmokin, these are Frams, painted red. I know the manager at our local Advanced, he told me thay these were Fram filters. Take it back and trade it in on a Motorcraft FL820S. -joe

Looked at these also, the specs are 96% first pass, 94% multipass, same as Fram EG orange.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary:
Looked at these also, the specs are 96% first pass, 94% multipass, same as Fram EG orange.

Meaningless numbers. What size particles are caught at a 96% rate? For meaningful numbers we need both the particle size and the capture rate. It's probably 96% @ 30 micron...no big deal. If it was 96% of 10 micron particles, then you'd have something good.

Ken

Based on visual comparison it is most likely not a fram. If it is a Fram then they went out of their way to duplicate the Purolator filter.

I don't take much stock in anything a store manager tells me.

Compare for yourself if your interested.

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:
Based on visual comparison it is most likely not a fram. If it is a Fram then they went out of their way to duplicate the Purolator filter.

Compare for yourself if your interested.

I don't take stock in what parts guys say either, except I personally know this guy, and he has worked in the Auto Parts business for several years. BTW, you are the one that posted the question, I was just trying to help
dunno.gif
-Joe

[ October 28, 2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:

I don't take stock in what parts guys say either, except I personally know this guy, and he has worked in the Auto Parts business for several years. It would be nice if they are Purolaters, they would be another inexpensive alternative to the Purolater. Cut one open and let us know, Joe

[ October 28, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Advance Oil Filters look like a Champion to ME!
Same base plate, same # of holes!
Same as a ST or STP save the burnt orange color!

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
quote:

Originally posted by Gary:

Meaningless numbers. What size particles are caught at a 96% rate? For meaningful numbers we need both the particle size and the capture rate. It's probably 96% @ 30 micron...no big deal. If it was 96% of 10 micron particles, then you'd have something good.

Ken

All these boxes (Fram, STP, Advance, Purolator. etc) post the efficiencies as per the SAE Jxxx test now.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I went to Advanced yesterday, this brand does apear to be a pulolator. It even has the oval holes. Not a lot cheaper than the purolator though.

-T

Advanced Auto Parts oil filters are 100% Purolator, but with the Fram part #. These are great filters that are cheaper than Fram.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back