Adobe Reader Update Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Machine: Dell XPS M140 Laptop running XP SP3.

Downloaded Adobe Reader 9.1 and attempted to install. I get the following error message and the install aborts:

"Error 1402 Could not open key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\Currentversion\Run\Optionalcomponents\MSFS

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel."

I also tried to "repair" current Adobe Reader 8.1.3 and I get the same message. Anyone have any idea what this is? The program does run OK and I can display PDF's but won't allow update or repair.

Oops, I should have googled error 1402 before posting. Got a registry problem with recommended fixes.

Diving in now to fix. I'll report back.

I know how to fix this if you don't get it fixed... PM ME!
grin2.gif

OK, I understand what's going on and decided to leave it as is. This machine was my wife's but I cleaned it up and re-configured it for our 13 year old daughter. Basically it involves "permissions" to modify the Windows registry to install or modify programs. The less ability the 13 year old has to modify stuff the better so I'll leave reader 8.1.3 as is. If at a later date reader 9.1 becomes necessary I'll change the permissions in the registry.

There is a way to fix it easy just for this program, and then there is the right way to fix it using a registry permission changing routine found on Microsoft Website. or HERE

If you want to do the easy way, boot in Safe mode and select the "Administrator" account. Go to the control panel and uninstall the program using Add/Remove programs.

Reboot in normal mode and login using whatever account and reinstall the latest version.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Foxit is great as a reader but won't let you fill in PDF forms that are fallible before printing.

I tried to do is for a Passport renewal and it wouldn't let me fill in the form so I went back to Adobe.

I like how quick Fox-it is and how it doesn't take over your system with stuff running on start up and an updater etc. like Adobe does.

Give me Adobe 5 back any day. Now it's just bloated like a fattie at a buffet!

I still have Adobe on one computer. I have a shipping agreement form sent to me as a PDF. But other computers Foxit seems to use less resources or does not want to update all the time like Adobe. If you just read PDF files, Foxit to me has been great.

The Acrobat Reader [censored] out on my laptop a couple of weeks ago when the process would run but the application would not be available. I think it was 9.1 version.

I simply uninstalled it, got Adobe Acrobat and installed that instead. That is a very expensive fix but I have had it with the glitches and the nagging of the Acrobat Reader.

And now this today:

Adobe Flash vulnerability allows attack via malicious PDF file

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/07...y_am_2009-07-23

Symantec Wednesday said it has identified a PDF file that exploits a previously unknown vulnerability in an Adobe Flash multi-media component.
Reader 9.0, 9.1. and 9.1.2 and perhaps other Adobe Flash products, allows the attack via the malicious PDF to execute malicious code on the victim's machine. "It allows remote access," said Fossi. "And it's connecting back to a few sites."

I like 9.x much more than any previous version. It's noticeably quicker than the older versions and doesn't get in one's way once all the web & update settings are disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back