Windows XP Update trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I have not touched Windows since XP SP1;...

That's something to be proud of!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KeithS_NW_Ohio
The ability for you to continue to receive updates, patches and fixes directly from Microsoft via Windows Update until the year 2019.

Use notepad to copy the following and save as .reg file - and then run it (double-click the file).

==========
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001
===========

What is supposed to happen when you double-click the .reg file that was created as you explained above?

And in what folder is this created .reg file supposed to reside in?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I tried this on a clone of my XP virtual machine and it seems to work. I got new updates.

Interesting hack.

I wonder if Microsoft will catch on to people doing this and block out it out or lock it down somehow for people hacking in?

Wonder why MS doesn't just use this as a money-making opportunity and charge a fee for those who want it? At a reasonable price (maybe $20 a year) it might be a win-win for all.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Theres a step missing here far as I can tell.
When you save it as a .reg and double click,it just opens up notepad and shows everything copied.

I finally got it to work,thanks for posting!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Looks like another vulnerability to me, if they can be tricked into thinking a PC is something else.

+1 Windows is full of vulnerabilities!

If you have xp, and don't have lots of money, that is ok.

Just download a linux iso and put linux on that box.

Far more secure, and it will run much faster than xp.

You are putting bandaids on an OS that is super old, and past its prime, just dump it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
If you have xp, and don't have lots of money, that is ok.

Just download a linux iso and put linux on that box.

Far more secure, and it will run much faster than xp.

You are putting bandaids on an OS that is super old, and past its prime, just dump it.

For myself,this year I'll be purchasing a custom built gaming Windows 7 PC.

Now the reason I'm keeping my XP PC for now is,MagicJack doesnt work with Linux.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
MagicJack doesnt work with Linux.

There is certainly no out-of-the box support for any Linux distro but there are ways of getting it to work. They are all tech-y and will induce headaches, though.

I can empathize with a for-profit software outfit: supporting Linux must be a nightmare on so many levels.

I get an error when I try to merge it into the registry.

"The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import registry files from the registry editor.

So I start regedit and try to import the file. I get the error Cannot Import file. The key selected is invalid.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
My Norton 360 has expired (too expensive to renew) and I want to use something else.

You buy Sustina, but Norton 360 is too expensive? You should switch to Linux and Delvac 1 to save some cash.
wink.gif
By the way, notepad should already be installed in Windows, if my memory serves me right.

If I was there right now, I could have your system switched to Linux in about the time it would take you to sneak under my car and dump the 5w-40 and replace it with 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: Garak
My Norton 360 has expired (too expensive to renew) and I want to use something else.

You buy Sustina, but Norton 360 is too expensive? You should switch to Linux and Delvac 1 to save some cash.
wink.gif
By the way, notepad should already be installed in Windows, if my memory serves me right.

If I was there right now, I could have your system switched to Linux in about the time it would take you to sneak under my car and dump the 5w-40 and replace it with 0w-30.

LMAO!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif

This thread is hysterical; on top of that linux is too esoteric for most users. Who wants to type apt-get update to get patches Just use Windows and insert

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Into your registry to get new updates

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
This thread is hysterical; on top of that linux is too esoteric for most users. Who wants to type apt-get update to get patches Just use Windows and insert

Monkeying with the registry is better than Aptitude?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Who wants to type apt-get update to get patches

No one does! That's why we all just sit there and let the system alert us that there are updates; and just click "Install".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back