Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Auto-Rx and I'm happy with the results. I have tried a lot of other stuff over the years and not one of those products has lived up to the label. What additive have I missed that you have tried and work well?

Someone at a street fair booth gave me some pills that you put in the gas tank for a dramatic improvement in mileage. I did not have the heart to say no but I was not going to put them in my tank. I gave them to the security guard so he could try them. He claimed they did nothing after trying all six in his commute to different job sites. Should we have a hall of shame for this kind of stuff?

Another great one that you know about already is FP Plus from Lube Control. It works in all my cars and my friends' cars for improved mileage.
Techron is good.
Chevron Purescape is good.
AutoRX is great.
Monitoring your tire pressure at regular intervals is good.
AFE, Donaldson and AEM intake systems are good (I recommend their dry filter media only).

Fuel magnets are junk.
Fuel pills are junk.

jonny-b is the King of Additives but until he chimes in with his personal favorites let me add Cermax and Cermax MD Plus to the list.

I have been wanting to try the Cermax stuff. I have heard a lot about it, mostly good

I found this on opie's site:

On questioning John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R&D Chemist for 40 years about additives, I received the following reply.

Quote:

The AA report encapsulates my opinion of Slick 50, it is an expensive way of blocking your oil filter, Believe me, it does precisely nothing beneficial. It has been proven time and time again that it just blocks oil filters and oilways.

For all other “magic” additives, most are based on 1930’s technology corrosive chlorinated paraffins. (synthetic anti-seize compounds originally made 70 years ago. They are cheap, toxic and corrosive. We use them in certain types of cutting oil!) Do not touch them with somebody else’s bargepole!

UCL’s on the other hand can be useful. After all, 2-strokes in effect run entirely on UCL. So……the best UCL’s are 2-stroke oils! I always tell people to use a decent 2-stroke at 0.5% or 1%, because they are superior to the UCL’s sold as UCL’s if you get my drift. A litre of Super 2 Injector or Comp-2 will be better than a cupful of cheap mineral oil dyed red (no prizes for guessing the name) any day.

Vee engines (twins, to V8’s) benefit from UCL’s because the upper walls of the RH cylinder bank, looking from the front, always run dry. Think about it!

Unquote:

So, there you have it.

What do you think? does he mean one percent in the oil or gas? I know that the Lucas UCL goes in the gas....anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back