additives that actually worked for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that additives in the trans or engine seem to get picked on around here so I thought I would ask what additives have worked for you guys.

I have never used a engine oil additive but I have used some stuff in a transmission with instant results.

Smartblend
http://www.lifeautomotive.com/Products/ATFP4001.asp

I used this in a 1994 Crown Vic with 200K+ on the original trans. The car had a torque converter shudder that would knock your teeth loose. I poured in the pint bottle and the shudder stopped within 1/4 mile of driving and stayed gone for 10K miles at a time. The original trans was working fine when I sold the car with 270K.

You guys have any success stories with additives?

Smartblend sounds very similar to Lubegard Red which I feel is an excellent additive for A/T's. I also believe in Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane and Redline SL-1. As far as oil additives, I don't feel they are needed with a well formulated oil

AutoRX FIXED MY HARD SHIFTING AND STICKING TRANNY, MMO, UCL, Prolong (what can I say it really worked) helped a hard shifting tranny in another vehicle, SYNTHETIC Lucas Stabalizer, CD2 high milage, and a side note is RMI25 for radiator, stuff really cleans.

Those additives which did nothing or made it worse- Slick50, ZMax, CD2 detergent, that's all I kind think of at the momment.

Generally speaking I think additives can help some issues. Mechanics and some folks think additives have severe limits and they aren't going to save you from making repairs, but I don't believe that at all. In fact, I was shopping for rebuilds on my tranny and due to the ridiculous price around here for that I in desperation tried Autorx, and it literally fixed it and the tranny remained solid for over a year until I sold the vehicle.

My experience has been--Auto-RX works as advertised.
Techron & FP60 seem to work well to clean & keep fuel system clean & operating efficiently.

The various additives that actually seemed to work for me included some Lubegard products, some fuel system and or fuel injector cleaners, a power steering product, some coolant additives, and Auto-RX.

The product I believe in more than any other is Auto-RX. I had a small leak in a Saturn car I used to own and the only product that actually seemed to stop the leak was Auto-R. I can't prove that Auto-RX worked, but after I did an Auto-RX cleaning on the car the leak stopped. Lots of other guys here have had positive experiences with Auto-RX. Terry even tested Auto-X. Seems like proof enough for me.

A product called Tufoil SEEMED to work in a used Toyota Corolla station wagon car I used to own. But Tufoil for engines is a thick product and I think the start up clatter in this car may have been helped just by using a thicker oil in the summertime, like 20W50. Aside from the start up clatter the car ran fine.

I had some positive experiences with some Lubegard products and I still believe in Lubegard to some extent. A Lubegard power steering supplement seemed to stop squealing in a power steering unit in cold weather. Lubegard automatic transmission supplements have been in use for a long time. And just personal observation on my part but Lubegard Engine Supplement really did seem to make my engine run smoother and help with fuel economy. But I think it is too expensive to use every oil change, unless you are using Amsoil and changing oil once a year.

I have always believed in Bars Leaks-the coolant supplement. According to what I have heard there was a time it was actually used at car and truck assembly plants.

Various fuel supplements like Techron, Gumout Regane, and Lucas Upper Cylinder Supplement seem to work and keep injectors clean. I have never tried Redline fuel system cleaner but I would if I could find it.

These are pretty much the only supplements or cleaners or additives of any type that I will use in a car or truck. I feel that 99% of the products that are out there are pure junk-a waste of money and time and effort and maybe even damaging to a vehicle. I feel that if you stick to products like Auto-RX, Lubegard products, Bars Leaks, and the better quality fuel system cleaners you should be okay.

I have also good experiences with the use of Tufoil. I use Tufoil in the motor oil (M1 0-40W synt. motor oil) and in the gear box on my Ford Mondeo (European model). I had some problems with the gear shift between 1 and 2 gear in this car before I added the Tufoil to the gear box, now the gear shift is as smooth as possible. The car feels “smoother”, I think some friction has been reduced both in the motor and in the gearbox after I started using Tufoil.
I have also just added Tufoil in my 1995 model BMW 520I (only in the motor oil) after my good experiences with Tufoil in my Ford.
I know many are sceptical to oil additives that containing some amount of Teflon (PTFE) which in fact Tufoil also have a small amount of. Do to the Teflon particle size and amount I don’t think this Tufoil will do any damages. This Tufoil has been on the marked sins 1980 and still is so I don’t think it is too “bad”. See the Tufoil page: http://www.tufoil.com/

Auto-Rx has worked very well for me- my testimony is #80 on the ARX website.

Marvel Mystery Oil has also worked for me in the distant past- in the fuel, it cleared up a near-misfire in my old (but free) '71 Dodge Dart slant six.

FP60 and '3000 have certainly helped keep the fuel injectors clean in my '95 Civic- haven't had to use anything else.

I've also used LC20 in my vehicles with good success, especially the Civic which gets AMSOIL; AMSOIL has been known to thicken over time and the LC20 does seem to keep that peculiarity in check. I might add the LC20 appears to remove varnish stain too, I can see the valvetrain in the Civic since the filler hole is baffleless and there is notably less stain since I began using LC20.

Those are the ones that have worked for me.

Auto RX
LC-20
FP-3000 / FP-60
Lubegard Red
VSOT
Redline SI-1
Chevron Techron
Redline Water Wetter
Valvoline Synpower Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Bar's Leak

I haven't tried but I would expect good results from RMI-25

sfr
sx-up
polydyn tx-7 by polydyn dynamics
bg's moa
bg 44k
lubeguard platinum and all their products
redline si-1
schaeffers # 132,131,131c
torco assembly lube
gm assembly lube

i have experience with all of these additives

I forgot but I have used autorx in three different vehicles. To be totally honest I can't tell it did anything.

Auto-RX is the real deal, in less than 150 miles my 03 Ram 1500/3.7L has once again 4 speeds forward instead of the 2 I was living with and the engine that had a rough idle is so smooth its amazing to me.
Techron Concentrate=good stuff.

ARX and Techron works for me. And I sometimes use Stab-bil for fuel storage in lawn equipment that won't be run for a period of time.

Persnonally I use the ARX every 25K in my passenger cars and trucks, full cleaning dose. Works great in my four stroke lawn equipment as well. I always add it to lawn equipment 10 hours before each scheduled oil change at a ratio of 2 fluid ounces per quart sump capacicity. I use Techron in the fuel on the over the road vehicles just before each scheduled oil change.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Auto-RX can allow you to trim the list down. You can use Auto-RX in different parts of a car or truck-not just in the engine. So you can use it in an automatic transmission (and maybe not need the transmission supplement), and you can use it in power steering unts and maybe not need the power steering supplement. You can use it in manual transmissions, differentials, and transfer cases. So Auto-RX really makes a lot of other products unnecessary.

I really believe in the Bars Leaks especially for GM vehicles that sometimes develop coolant leaks.

I have never really figured out what fuel system cleaner is the best. If I could figure out which one is the best I would stick to just one. To me the Gumout Regane in the clear bottle seems to work about the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back