Additive for oil consumption - Toyota 1AR-FE

I have had good results on oil burners (last one being a customer's 09 Escalade 6.2 with a hard 225k miles) using BLUE DEVIL. It gets into the valve seats and guides and reconditions them. The smoking literally stops in a few miles.

I have just started using Hot Shot stiction remover on a gummed up Honda Odyssey.

You can use this product in gasoline engines as well as diesel.

Yup, exactly that.

OK, the rebuild quote is out of budget for sure. So I'll try the HPL stuff next.

- I am running 40wt oil anyway, should I get the 40wt HPL?
- Is there a risk to adding too much of this stuff?

I may get a few quarts and add them as top off every once in a while and see where it gets me.

OK, the rebuild quote is out of budget for sure. So I'll try the HPL stuff next.

- I am running 40wt oil anyway, should I get the 40wt HPL?
- Is there a risk to adding too much of this stuff?

I may get a few quarts and add them as top off every once in a while and see where it gets me.
I'd ask Dave, which grade he recommends. Start with the 1 quart in the sump, see what that puts in your oil filter. I think the top-off idea is sound.

I'd ask Dave, which grade he recommends. Start with the 1 quart in the sump, see what that puts in your oil filter. I think the top-off idea is sound.

Thank you. Where would I find Dave's contact?

I treated an oil drinker Prius with VPBR for an OCI, then a piston soak with B12 Chemtool and BMW Top Engine Cleaner(BMWNA part, made by Chevron), then HPLEC with cheap oil. I’m seeing 1qt/3000-4000mi consumption, worse with API/ILSAC PCMOs and better with “Euro” oil and Rotella T6MV 5W-30.

I have 3 gallons of HPL 5W-30 at home, so that will be the next OCI.

I treated an oil drinker Prius with VPBR for an OCI, then a piston soak with B12 Chemtool and BMW Top Engine Cleaner(BMWNA part, made by Chevron), then HPLEC with cheap oil. I’m seeing 1qt/3000-4000mi consumption, worse with API/ILSAC PCMOs and better with “Euro” oil and Rotella T6MV 5W-30.

I have 3 gallons of HPL 5W-30 at home, so that will be the next OCI.
What consumption rate did you have originally?

take the plugs out, keep chemtool in the cylinders for a week or two. if that doesn't work I don't know if anything will.

Is a week+ necessary? I had assumed a day or two would be sufficient, but I'd like to know if it's not that case.

Welp, I'm finally getting around to the piston soak this weekend. Pulled the plugs, put a splash of B12 into each cylinder, and turned the crank over with a wrench a bit to move it around. Have repeated a few times now.

Spark plugs had been changed about 25k ago and they had a lot of white ash deposits, I assume from burning oil.

I got a crappy little borescope that has at least been able to show me that the piston tops all look the same and were dry before beginning the process.

I suspect the hard-running 2.7 in that van just has worn rings, it looks really clean so I can’t see it being that gummed up.
Next I’d try ‘Restore’ oil additive in the silver bottle/can. Claims to fill-in cylinder wall voids with soft metal; it can’t hurt to try it at this point.

So far so good! The engine had from Thurs afternoon to Saturday morning with B12 added every few hours and the crank turned over a couple times.

In total I used two cans of B12. All of it drained into the crankcase (except was evaporated and the bit at the end I sucked out of the cylinders) so I drained the oil and filled with fresh. Cranked it over a few times with coils unplugged to let it build some oil pressure. Plugged 'em back in and it had to crank for about 2 minutes before it would run.

Got some white-blue smoke, but not a ton. After idling a bit I revved it up and it belched a lot of black soot and blackish smoke, then the smoke settled down. Took it for a 30 minute drive to warm up real good, then drained the oil and put in a fresh filter.

Took a 100 mile road trip, no issues. It runs a little better for sure. Tomorrow we'll put a few hundred miles on it and see if the oil consumption is reduced.

Fingers crossed!

@Highboy and others, I owe you guys a beer. Big time!

After doing the piston soak we immediately used the van for a family trip. It travelled over 1500 miles, much of it at fast highway speeds.

It used ZERO oil. Holy crap. It freaking worked.

Before the treatment this kind of trip would have absolutely used 4-5 quarts. It also got >20mpg even at 85mph with the A/C on :)

I think this just turned the vehicle back into a "keeper".

Thanks again guys.

@Highboy and others, I owe you guys a beer. Big time!

After doing the piston soak we immediately used the van for a family trip. It travelled over 1500 miles, much of it at fast highway speeds.

It used ZERO oil. Holy crap. It freaking worked.

Before the treatment this kind of trip would have absolutely used 4-5 quarts. It also got >20mpg even at 85mph with the A/C on :)

I think this just turned the vehicle back into a "keeper".

Thanks again guys.
That’s great news. What brand and weight oil are you using now?

That’s great news. What brand and weight oil are you using now?

I didn't know if it was going to keep burning, so I put in some Pennzoil 10W-40 HM I had on the shelf. I have some BWM 0W-30 (that someone gave me!) that I may run next, and can invest in some of the 0W-20 that it specs now that it's not using up oil.

Back