Additive for oil consumption - Toyota 1AR-FE

Sorry, didn't have time to do a compression check.

Ran the EPR cleaner today. Added to cold sump of old oil, warmup took about 12 minutes. Ran at 1200rpm for 10min exactly. Gave it a nice long time to drain. Changed filter and filled back up with Rotella T5 15W-40.

When idling after the 10min run there was noticeable but light white smoke from the tailpipe. It also deposited a little bit of crud on the ground.

I'll be monitoring the consumption much more closely at this point.

Fortunately I also found 6 jugs of Havoline 5W-30 or something at Walmart today for $11 a jug so if I have to burn through some more for a while it won't be so pricey ;)
You should have added the EPR to a fully warm engine. Not cold.
The chemicals need heat to clean the internals properly.

You should have added the EPR to a fully warm engine. Not cold.
The chemicals need heat to clean the internals properly.

I just followed the directions on the can.

It got plenty of time in warm oil as well.

I just followed the directions on the can.

It got plenty of time in warm oil as well.
Interesting....a few years ago when I used it it stated to add to a fully warmed up engine.

I did 2 treatments on a oil drinking audi once.
It was effective.

Interesting....a few years ago when I used it it stated to add to a fully warmed up engine.

I did 2 treatments on a oil drinking audi once.
It was effective.

Glad to hear it! Fingers crossed here.

They way I figure it the cocktail of solvents may have a variety of temperatures at which they readily vaporize. When cold some will stick around longer and wet out the errant surfaces.

The solvent smell was very noticeable when running, in the old oil, and pretty much everywhere until I cleaned everything up. Kind of an evil coconut fragrance?

Glad to hear it! Fingers crossed here.

They way I figure it the cocktail of solvents may have a variety of temperatures at which they readily vaporize. When cold some will stick around longer and wet out the errant surfaces.

The solvent smell was very noticeable when running, in the old oil, and pretty much everywhere until I cleaned everything up. Kind of an evil coconut fragrance?
Oh ya
It's some nasty stuff.

Great for cleaning though.

As mentioned, try the piston soak to free up the rings. Also, use a high detergent oil and frequent oil changes. But after that if still not satisfactory then the pistons/rings may need to be replaced. Before doing that, the cylinder bores need to be inspected with a scope. If the bores are damaged the short block should be replaced. This video below shows a similar Toyota engine with the oil consumption issue. The Toyota master mechanic shows the short block replacement procedure.

Well I got industrious and changed out the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals. It was seeping a bit at the back but not too bad. The valve train certainly looks like it is used to fresh oil.

IMG_9850.JPG

IMG_9851.JPG

Here's some more data (albeit quite discouraging):

Since the flush I have been monitoring the oil consumption more carefully. We had a couple of road trips which helped rack up the miles more quickly. In the last 3000 miles it has consumed 7 quarts of oil - so the rate is pretty steady at 400 mi/qt

Next up is a piston soak. Hopefully can execute on that in the next couple of months.

This is about the highest rate of oil consumption I can tolerate. If I have to start adding oil BETWEEN fillups then I need to get out of this vehicle or rebuild the motor (which I might do since the rest of the vehicle is excellent).

Here's some more data (albeit quite discouraging):

Since the flush I have been monitoring the oil consumption more carefully. We had a couple of road trips which helped rack up the miles more quickly. In the last 3000 miles it has consumed 7 quarts of oil - so the rate is pretty steady at 400 mi/qt

Next up is a piston soak. Hopefully can execute on that in the next couple of months.

This is about the highest rate of oil consumption I can tolerate. If I have to start adding oil BETWEEN fillups then I need to get out of this vehicle or rebuild the motor (which I might do since the rest of the vehicle is excellent).
Have you considered doing the piston soak and HPL treatment that @michaelluscher did that reduced his consumption?

I can't find the HPL treatment for sale anywhere.

Yes, I plan to do a piston soak with Chemtool and some Kroil.

I can't find the HPL treatment for sale anywhere.

Yes, I plan to do a piston soak with Chemtool and some Kroil.
You buy it from here:

You buy it from here:

Thanks. How would I plan to use this? Replace a quart with this stuff and just keep driving for a while to let it clean?

Most likely, the oil control rings are either stuck and/or have rotated. With this level of consumption, it is unlikely for any additive to make a meaningful difference.

Most likely, the oil control rings are either stuck and/or have rotated. With this level of consumption, it is unlikely for any additive to make a meaningful difference.
Rislone High Kilometre Engine Treatment has reduced my oil consumption fwiw.

Thanks for the input. I am indeed checking into the feasibility of having new pistons/rings installed, leaving everything else alone as much as that is possible.

Back