Additive for oil consumption - Toyota 1AR-FE

My Toyota 2.7L 1AR engine uses a lot of oil. Like a quart per 500 miles or worse. It runs very well, is smooth, and gets good mileage. I know this engine has the issue with low-tension piston rings so I've assumed this is consumption past the rings but I suppose I can't rule out valve stem seals.

I'm already running 5 or 10w-30 rather than 0w-20. Is it worth trying an additive to slow consumption rate? Any improvement would be nice.

My Toyota 2.7L 1AR engine uses a lot of oil. Like a quart per 500 miles or worse. It runs very well, is smooth, and gets good mileage. I know this engine has the issue with low-tension piston rings so I've assumed this is consumption past the rings but I suppose I can't rule out valve stem seals.

I'm already running 5 or 10w-30 rather than 0w-20. Is it worth trying an additive to slow consumption rate? Any improvement would be nice.

What year is your Toyota?

Well if your planning on keeping the car and drive a lot, it might just be cheaper to rebuild the engine

You can try a piston soak and a run of oil with some HPL engine cleaner, I'm not sure if the 1AR engines had the same problem with plugging oil return holes like other Toyota engines at the time, or if your engine is just wore out, If you can get ahold of a borescope, maybe take a look in the cylinders and see if there's any scoring or not, although if the rings are worn then there's not a whole lot you're going to see.

You could try switching to a full synthetic high mileage oil and try Lucas Pure Synthetic oil stabilizer. But that is some pretty bad oil consumption.

Yeah it's a 2012 Sienna. Have only had it a bit over a year. It's in outstanding condition otherwise so I prefer to just deal with it for now... maybe rebuild the engine in the future.

I will look into the PCV. I think I replaced it (it's usually on my maintenance list) but I'll double check.

I had thought about a ring soak as well. It may be time to finally do that.

Yeah it's a 2012 Sienna. Have only had it a bit over a year. It's in outstanding condition otherwise so I prefer to just deal with it for now... maybe rebuild the engine in the future.

I will look into the PCV. I think I replaced it (it's usually on my maintenance list) but I'll double check.

Wouldn't hurt to bump up to a ck only 15w-40 like rotella t4 since it isn't a gdi engine or even 20w-50 though it's a tad much and also run something like liqui moly engine cleaner for at least 500 or so miles before throwing in another 500ml can as there really isn't an issue running it for a when your oil is thicker. Those v6 engines outside of the US including the 4 cyl in the 2015 prius spec 0w-20 to 20w-50 in the owners manual because they honestly have zero issue running it. And it's also warming up so there's no cold weather starting concerns either.

I'd also combine that with ring soaks on like Friday or Saturday evening to the next day. Though removing the plugs on the other side of that transverse v6 would be annoying. So i'd probably start on Friday and keep doing them until Sunday night while driving something else or not planning on driving it for the whole weekend.

That little engine will work hard in a Sienna.

Do you find the power adequate?

How many miles on the van?

It's perfectly adequate, but my standards are low. If it didn't burn oil it would be the perfect van LOL

150k is all. Since I add so much I change it at 10k.

Do a ring soak. There are many how to's and videos. Believe I saw a post a while ago featuring some YouTuber with a Corolla that had oil it's burning being greatly improved after some ring soaking sessions. belive he's called diy dave.
DIY Dave

Fortunately it's a 4-banger so accessing the spark plugs is easy. I was thinking about doing a Chemtool soak -- never done it before though! None of my other vehicles use oil, go figure.
I did a Berryman B12 piston soak on my Scion tC last summer. It was using a quart every 350-400 miles. My next oil change improved to a quart every 1200-1300 miles. That oil change included 1 quart of HPL EC30 with 3 quarts oil. I’m now on a full HPL PCMO oil and hopefully it will improve the oil usage problem. You should try doing this and see if it helps.

Back