Additive Clash/Excessive Additives in HDEO Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many flat tappet engine owners are using HDEO 15-40 and adding additives to improve Zinc content. I see that some additives clash with other additives and can ruin a blended oil.

Should HDEO or any other oil user/s be messing with the chemical content of formulated engine oils?

Can excessive Zinc or any other additive have negitive impact on a engine oil?

Please give me some examples...and should we be playing with the chemical content of oils?

It takes a lot of balancing to make a good formulated oil. Adding any additive to a well balanced product is in no way a good idea. Sure it can be done, but you risk ruining that balance.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Many flat tappet engine owners are using HDEO 15-40 and adding additives to improve Zinc content. I see that some additives clash with other additives and can ruin a blended oil.

Should HDEO or any other oil user/s be messing with the chemical content of formulated engine oils?

Can excessive Zinc or any other additive have negitive impact on a engine oil?

Please give me some examples...and should we be playing with the chemical content of oils?

ANY additive? You telling me that if I use Valvoline 15W40 Premium Blue with VSOT that the oil will be adversely affected? How 'bout if I use a quart of Red Line as an "oil treatment" to add zinc? Or, one small red bottle of STP with an oil change is going to screw things up? I'm just wondering.

I am a little surprized that this topic has not brought the tribologists into the discussion?
frown.gif

I personally would like to see additives and/or excessive additives spoken about, and how they change oil formulations for better or worst?

""I personally would like to see additives and/or excessive additives spoken about, and how they change oil formulations for better or worst?"'

Can not tell formulas change and vary within familys any improvement or harm would have to be on a one on one basis with both UOA and VOA on oils that are being mixed.

IMHO for a practicle use there is NOT much problem with "conventional" add paks BUT when getting into boutique oil with or with out ester there maybe more "solubility" and or additive reactions BUT even that is IMHO not big deal.
bruce

"I am a little surprized that this topic has not brought the tribologists into the discussion?

I personally would like to see additives and/or excessive additives spoken about, and how they change oil formulations for better or worst?"

If you are going to use aftermarket additives (and I cannot stress this enough), you need to do the following to insure there are no adverse effects such as additive clash:

1. Work with a good analysis lab (such as TD) and tell them what you are doing with as much info as possible, and send in a clean oil sample of the oil you will be using for a baseline,

2. Send in a clean oil sample of the aftermarket additive,

3. Send in a clean oil sample of the mixed oil plus the additive in the exact proportion you will be using.

4. Run at least two 3k runs on the unadditized oil you will be using to get a UOA baseline,

5. Run at least two 3k runs on the addditized (mixed) oil with UOA's to see if there are any changes in wear or performance with respect to number 4.

Which, not to be negative, sounds like way too much time and effort to find out you're running something that might be hurting morer than it's helping your wear situation.

I try to use a good quality oil. If I am adding oil additives I wander if I am using the right oil?

I have considered using Motorkote. Why, I really do not know. I think the 75 bucks a gallon got me to thinking about using it. 75 bucks a gallon. IT HAS TO BE GOOD STUFF RIGHT?

I keep standing back opening a cool beverage and tell ask my self. WHY do you need this?

I am very loyal to the thyp of oil I use. I do not see my using aditives as them loosing oil sales from me, just DO I NEED them. I feel the oil I use has what I need. That is why I use it.

I used to use shelf oil with a gallon of Lucas. A guy at NAPA one day asked me why I use Lucas. I told him to save my engine. He said You should use better oil then. This made sense to me.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If you are going to use aftermarket additives (and I cannot stress this enough), you need to do the following to insure there are no adverse effects such as additive clash: ....
Unless, of course, you go with a reputable company, like Valvoline, and use both Valvoline oil and Valvoline additive according to their directions. Then we can trust that Valvoline will not lead us into a bad situation.

Actually I play it a lot looser than that, but if I am concerned in a particular case, such as using a quart of Redline in regular oil, I call Redline and find out if that is going to be a problem. If they said not to do it, then I am on my own.

Of course, MolaKule is right. If we want to be absolutely certain, we should do VOA/UOA testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back