Adding Mos2 in a BMW N54 engine with DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're talking about a N54 engine and pouring something into it that it doesn't need. And as stated above by someone demarpaint is afraid to confront, (I think it's useless too, but he can't help himself and cry about it because I said it.)

"No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better."

"IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also."

I happen to agree with that.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: dave1251
You have failed to account for the friction modifiers already present in a current formulated PCMO. The MoS2 studies are not studied with an finished lubricant.

Put some "current formulated PCMO" in your wet-clutch motorcycle. How does it work? Than, add some MoS2.

The MoS2 studies are not studied with an finished lubricant.

How could you possibly know how Liqui-Moly studied their product? Or Dow-Corning? Did they share that with you? Did you consult for them?

It is simple. "From Dow-Corning Anti-Friction Coatings are paint-like lubricants that contain a solid lubricant and binder dispersed in solvent carrier. The coating forms a dry lubricating film to help prevent corrosion. Anti-friction coatings are ideal for dusty environments or for inaccessible parts that need long-term lubrication"

Where inside an engine needs a solid lubricant coating for a dusty environment that requires a long-term lubricant solution?

You have failed to account for the friction modifiers already present in a current formulated PCMO. The MoS2 studies are not studied with an finished lubricant.

Put some "current formulated PCMO" in your wet-clutch motorcycle. How does it work? Than, add some MoS2.

Not sure what you're getting at. Most current PCMOs already have friction modifiers up the wazoo to improve fuel economy, so they may make a wet clutch slip. If you add some MoS2 which as you claim reduces friction even more, then it'll still slip.

But what does that have to do with OP's engine?

Originally Posted By: Trajan
We're talking about a N54 engine and pouring something into it that it doesn't need. And as stated above by someone demarpaint is afraid to confront, (I think it's useless too, but he can't help himself and cry about it because I said it.)

"No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better."

"IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also."

I happen to agree with that.

Does an engine NEED MoS2? No. But, that doesn't make the product useless.
It is your OPINION (based purely on conjecture, as far as I can tell) that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a personal opinion does not make it a fact.
It is MY opinion (based on concrete scientific evidence, long term experience, and a documented improvement in efficiency) that MoS2 DOES reduce friction in an engine.
You wanted me to provide you with concrete evidence that MoS2 does what they say it does. I did.
I asked YOU to provide US with concrete evidence to back up your contention that MoS2 does NOT do what they say it does. You haven't, we're still waiting.
You are obviously an MoS2 and oil additive (in general) hater. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise, you have made that fact VERY clear. So then, why are you posting ANYTHING in the oil additive section, in particular, why are you denigrating a product that you have never personally used and have absolutely NO experience with?

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Afraid to confront Trav. LOL We're friends, very good friends in fact. That bothers you I guess, and if you think Trav and I are going to fight I'll share this fact, you're 100% wrong. Grow up and act your age.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Get a life it worked in my mower. Take your rod and reel and Troll
Trolling.gif
elsewhere.

Funny how Trajan wants facts from everyone else yet spouts his opinion like its Gospel. LOL

Trust me on this too. Trav adds certain additives to modern engine oils if he feels an engine needs cleaning. He's tried and tested quite a few, and we both agree 100% on what works and what doesn't work............Maybe that's what we're such good friends. LOL

Last edited:
Too late to edit my post. Trav likes GM I like Ford. We constantly fight over that, almost daily. Right Paul?
crackmeup2.gif

Thats a fact Frank. Anyway i never said it didn't work, in fact it probably works best in an engine like your mower.
Air cooled possibly a low grade aluminum bore (they tout iron bore in the heavy duty machines),
large clearances, no pressurized lubrication, no oil pan, poor cooling system, high cylinder temps and all the rest.

I can honestly see there being some benefit to this engine, it doesn't get any more old school than one of these engines.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Thats a fact Frank. Anyway i never said it didn't work, in fact it probably works best in an engine like your mower.
Air cooled possibly a low grade aluminum bore (they tout iron bore in the heavy duty machines),
large clearances, no pressurized lubrication, no oil pan, poor cooling system, high cylinder temps and all the rest.

I can honestly see there being some benefit to this engine, it doesn't get any more old school than one of these engines.

Are you calling my mower old school? Those are fightin' words.
07.gif

Originally Posted By: wag123
Does an engine NEED MoS2? No. But, that doesn't make the product useless. It is your OPINION (based purely on conjecture, as far as I can tell) that MoS2 doesn't do what they say it does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a personal opinion does not make it a fact.
It is MY opinion (based on concrete scientific evidence, long term experience, and a documented improvement in efficiency) that MoS2 DOES reduce friction in an engine.

This may capture the real question. Does it work, does it do what it claims? Almost certainly. Do you need it? That's not so clear.

One of Liqui-Moly's MoS2 claims was 'Reduces engine wear up to 50%'. That got Trav's attention. But that claim might be modest. Most engine wear occurs in the first 5- or 10- or 20-minutes of operation. Suppose you could reduce that startup wear substantially? MoS2 should do that - it's there in the bearings like a pre-lube at start up.

Do you need it? Taxi cabs in New York don't need it because they never have cold starts. If you use a quality oil and change it occasionally, your engine will probably last 150k miles - maybe longer. At that point, you want a new car - rust, obsolescence, style changes and a host of other factors begin to intrude.

---

"Honey, don't you think I need a new car? The old ones got a lot of miles and my best friend Mary Lou just got the cutest sports model import!"
"Dear, your car has Liqui-Moly MoS2 in the oil. Your engine will last forever."

Maybe not the best response.

--

Oil companies aren't interested in an engine that lasts forever. Neither are car makers. Right now, engines last at least as long as the vehicle body - maybe even longer. What is the incentive to make the engine last even longer?

Liqui-Moly's claim advertising copy could read: "Your engine will be in top shape when the motor mounts rust through and drop the engine on the street!"

Originally Posted By: wag123
You wanted me to provide you with concrete evidence that MoS2 does what they say it does. I did.
I asked YOU to provide US with concrete evidence to back up your contention that MoS2 does NOT do what they say it does. You haven't, we're still waiting.
You are obviously an MoS2 and oil additive (in general) hater. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise, you have made that fact VERY clear. So then, why are you posting ANYTHING in the oil additive section, in particular, why are you denigrating a product that you have never personally used and have absolutely NO experience with?

Right answer to the wrong question. L-M's a good company - ditto for Dow Corning. The latter deliberately decided to get out of the American consumer automobile additive market (smart company!). There just aren't enough Americans who want an engine that lasts forever. In Brazil, things may be different.

Besides, 'this stuff turns my oil black'.

Well, wag123 has made some good points. I don't know why a person would even post in the Oil Additives Section if they are totally against oil supplements. All of this reminds me of a guy who was banned here a few times but he kept coming back with new user names. He would virtually quote new car manuals that no oil supplements should be used. He would join post after post here in the Oil Additives Section and state again and again that only high quality motor oil should be used, that no oil supplements should be used.

Well, right before he finally disappeared he was stating that he was going to use this Ceratec additive! After he had stated again and again and again in post after post that a person should only use good quality motor oil.

I am not much of an oil supplements guy or supplements of any kind. But I have tried a few products that it my opinion and experience seemed to work. This includes some Lubegard products and Schaeffer's oil supplement.

And in posts about MMO and Kreen it seems most guys are convinced they obtained benefit from those products. For somebody who has a dirty engine MMO and Kreen seem to be products that can get an engine cleaned up.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Well, wag123 has made some good points. I don't know why a person would even post in the Oil Additives Section if they are totally against oil supplements.

It's BITOG.

Those who say MoS2 works and those who say it's not necessary may both be correct. It just depends on how you go into the problem. At least for MoS2 as an additive, there may be a few added benefits as well.

For example, your vehicle may not use any oil. If you follow Subaru forums, a common thread involves oil usage. According to Subaru-in-the-sky, 1-quart per 1000 miles (or maybe even 1-quart per 800 miles) is A-OK. Sheeeesh, I don't think I could live with that level of oil usage. And, by the time Subarus reach 100k miles, most owners are adding oil between changes - even with the ultra-conservative 3,000 miles OCI spec'd for turbo cars. The typical owner response: switch to Rotella T 10w-40. IMHO, this is a wrong-headed solution which is probably worse than the original problem.

I've owned two Foresters and both used zero oil. The first Foz had 155k on the clock when I sold it. My current ride has 107k. Zero oil usage. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe it was MoS2. But zero is still zero. Looking back over the vehicles I've owned, none of them used oil... period. But, maybe I've just been lucky. If MoS2 saved me 1-1/2 quarts of "added" oil per OCI, it would pay for the MoS2. My heart really goes out to those poor devils using 1-quart per 800 miles!

As an added benefit, if I take a bullet in my sump, I expect to limp to the shoulder, or maybe all the way home. I did switch oil pick-up tubes, so I don't worry about that.

But, it does turn my oil black.

Out of curiosity, can someone advise if lubegard bio-tech does the same thing. I believe it is a Moly product as well? Many thanks...

Last edited:
How many users of mos2 have experienced an initial increase in idle speed after introducing it into their oil? When I first added LM mos2 into my 84 3.2 911, the idle speed jumped about 200 rpm within minutes of adding it. Realizing that the computer regulated the idle within a certain range on this engine, I checked the idle control screw. Turned it back a few turns and the idle settled to the correct 800 rpm and stayed there. It appears as though a previous wrench may have bumped up that idle screw to compensate for some condition such as surging or lagging idle. IMHO this event demonstrated mos2's ability to free up an older motor.

Originally Posted By: keesue

Out of curiosity, can someone advise if lubegard bio-tech does the same thing. I believe it is a Moly product as well? Many thanks...

In another post, someone suggested the Lubegard might be using MoDTC (or something other than MoS2). I was curious about this and looked on their Website. I could find no mention of moly of any sort - only Liquid Wax Ester technology, whatever that is. But, no moly.

Originally Posted By: keesue

The oil will have a very slight blue/dark green tint.

Originally Posted By: jk101563
How many users of mos2 have experienced an initial increase in idle speed after introducing it into their oil? When I first added LM mos2 into my 84 3.2 911, the idle speed jumped about 200 rpm within minutes of adding it. Realizing that the computer regulated the idle within a certain range on this engine, I checked the idle control screw. Turned it back a few turns and the idle settled to the correct 800 rpm and stayed there. It appears as though a previous wrench may have bumped up that idle screw to compensate for some condition such as surging or lagging idle. IMHO this event demonstrated mos2's ability to free up an older motor.

Many years ago, I encountered this on a BMC 'B' engine. I also had similar results every time I would go over the engine religiously checking vacuum hoses, joints, etc.

Nowadays, the computer will probably mask any idle increase due to reduced friction (or idle increases due to anything).

Originally Posted By: jk101563
How many users of mos2 have experienced an initial increase in idle speed after introducing it into their oil? When I first added LM mos2 into my 84 3.2 911, the idle speed jumped about 200 rpm within minutes of adding it.

How quickly this happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back