ADBV valve on dome down filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
One expert at Fram said that a check valve is not needed on this design filter. The Mazda Skyactiv does not have a ADBV on it's filter and is a dome down. The Wix filter for the Skyactiv does not have a ADBV either.

Wondered if the oil flow from the oil pump has a gooseneck or the blanket statement from the Fram filter engineer covers it all?

Thinking about it more...
The oil passages on an engine are like branches of a tree. So the lowest branch will be the drain point regardless of a ADBV or not.

Generally if the OE/OEM vehicle filter doesn't spec an adbv, then any aftermarket wouldn't need to have one either. That said, having an adbv even where not spec'd by the OE hurts nothing. In anecdotes here I've seen where the GM ACDelco factory filter had no adbv, replacement off the shelf ACDelco has one.

Most likely to not spec an adbv would be thread end up orientation, like the Mazda. GM similar.

Otoh, Honda has many/most of their filter applications with vertical thread end up, all use an adbv.

In summary, don't believe there is a blanket statement that all thread end up oriented filters need/have no adbv.

I have a 91 dodge dakota that must use only 10W30 and filter with silicone drainback valve or you get lifter noise for the first 10 minutes. A regular red fram was the worst for the noise. I suspect the oil galleys do not drain as well with 10W30. If never gets real cold here, maybe 0 a few nights so 10W is more than enough.

Rod

Originally Posted by Sayjac
In summary, don't believe there is a blanket statement that all thread end up oriented filters need/have no adbv.

+1 ... All GMs with base up mounted filters seem to spec and have a ADBV. Without one, the filter may not lose oil, but oil galleries located up above the filter could leak oil back through the filter to the oil pan. As said, having a ADBV hurts nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back