Actually Had A Good Experience At Jiffy Lube

I’m in NH, the live free or die state is horrible with state inspections. They do OBD2 checks for all vehicles going back 20 years - Even Massachusetts isn’t that bad (15 years). They pull wheels and check brakes...suspension, and you will fail for rust. Whatever amount of rust, I don’t know. My son‘s car passed last year, and failed this year...had to get the rocker either replaced or covered. I covered it. It also failed for a bushing in the rear, and in this particular car THIS bushing fails five minutes after you drive it off the lot. Couldn’t believe they snagged me on that one. The power steering pump was weeping a little fluid...the guy said he could fail me for that too because it would be a component failure. That one surprised me. This particular car (older Jeep Liberty) has power steering pump seepage. Pretty common. So, I replaced the power steering pump too.

Unless your car is less than five years old in NH, you definitely can fail inspection pretty easily here. I dread it.
I didn't realize that New Hampshire was a Communist Country, err State

Admit I forgot about emission testing, in Pa and here in Az because of where we live there's no emission testing. Daughter had a terrible time with emission testing in Ca with her '01 Saturn L200, had to coach her through buying a bottle of stuff and doing an accelerate/ coast down deal to clean the cat before going to the testing place.

Admit I forgot about emission testing, in Pa and here in Az because of where we live there's no emission testing. Daughter had a terrible time with emission testing in Ca with her '01 Saturn L200, had to coach her through buying a bottle of stuff and doing an accelerate/ coast down deal to clean the cat before going to the testing place.

Only certain more populated counties in PA do emissions. Here in my backwoods county we do not, thank goodness. 😁

Not sure what the big pushback on safely and emissions inspections is. It's not some horrific ordeal to have to get it done once a year. They help keep unsafe rattletraps and polluters off the roads. What's the problem? If you want to use the roads, it's not too much to ask.

Not sure what the big pushback on safely and emissions inspections is. It's not some horrific ordeal to have to get it done once a year. They help keep unsafe rattletraps and polluters off the roads. What's the problem? If you want to use the roads, it's not too much to ask.
Keeping other drivers safe is one thing, but I feel NH may be overstepping a bit by failing a car with a wet PS hose. If they're wondering why so many people are driving around with expired inspections, nitpicks like this are the reason. There are a lot of 5 year old cars running around with seeping this or wet that, that are otherwise in fine mechanical condition. Are they expected to replace all fluid hoses at every maintenance visit?

They need to lighten up to a reasonable list of automatic failures if they expect compliance.

In Louisiana , the process isn't too bad . As long as all of your lights , turn signals and horn work , along with good brakes , tires and no engine codes , you're usually good to go . Don't even THINK about pulling into the place with a CHECK ENGINE light or a recently cleared code though .
I go to the town next to me to an indy shop (5 miles away) and ask Mr. Bobby for an inspection sticker. He asks me to sign the book and let's go to your truck. Less than 30 seconds to remove the old one and put a new sticker on. $20 for 2 years.
"See ya in 2 years Mr. Bobby!" (family friend for over 45 years).

Having your car inspected once a year is a PITA? Really?

I lived in NY for 30 years and don't recall inspections being a big deal. Any corner garage could do it. And it was just safety, no emissions. Considering the crappy old rustbuckets that people in my area tried to drive on the roads, I'm thankful the inspection process filtered out the truly unsafe ones.

Always interesting how folks in states that have inspections feel that its crazy that other states don't have them and there must be way more unsafe vehicles on the road as a result. Yet go find statistics that bear out any relationship between inspection programs and accident and fatality rates... And good luck :cool:.

Being honest, its "security theater". Kind of like airport security is. It all makes us feel good we are doing something, but are we really?

Maybe for some light reading... https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-15-705.pdf

Having your car inspected once a year is a PITA? Really?

I lived in NY for 30 years and don't recall inspections being a big deal. Any corner garage could do it. And it was just safety, no emissions. Considering the crappy old rustbuckets that people in my area tried to drive on the roads, I'm thankful the inspection process filtered out the truly unsafe ones.

I think the people who cry the loudest about inspections around here have the most to "hide". It varies around here by shop of how picky they are. Although there's some places where you hand the guy $40 and they just hand you a sticker. Not that I've done such... :whistle:

Thankful we don't have state inspections here in Florida.
I sort of wish we did have safety inspections. Too many cars with no tail lights and blown mufflers. The blown mufflers all seem to drive at night by your neighborhood. OTOH a burned out light gives the Static's a reason to stop you and tear your car apart on a probable cause.

You can skip them after 25 years (?).

In Virginia, if the vehicle is registered as an antique, no safety inspections if older than 25 years.

If in Northern Virginia where emissions tests are required, they are not required for any vehicle older than 25 years no matter if it's a regular or antique registration.

In Virginia, if the vehicle is registered as an antique, no safety inspections if older than 25 years.

If in Northern Virginia where emissions tests are required, they are not required for any vehicle older than 25 years no matter if it's a regular or antique registration.
In Massachusetts, if the car is older than 15 years, no emissions inspection, just safety. Had a car that was 16 years old and it had a check engine light on for a bad torque converter so I thought it was going to fail and the guy told me about the 15 years and didn't care if the CEL was on or not.

Back