ACDelco UltraGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
VQ35DE wrote (01/18/09 09:40 PM):

I assume everyone knows that the (Ultraguard Gold) UPF-44, UPF-48 and the UPF-52 filters are still produced and sold at my dealer for $7.99 each. I still buy and use all three sizes.

======
This is news to me. I thought for sure these were discontinued when I did a study about two years ago.

These are are using the pure synth media with corresponding excellent filtration.

See photo here:
http://www.cau-llc.com/cgi-bin/webstorecgi/webstore.cgi?page=upf44&type=&frame=&cart_id=551213_2398

I can't use them but I would if I could.

I was using them on my old car that called for a PF-47, which is a shorter version of the PF-52. The new car uses PF-61, so it's a no go, sadly. Been using the Mobil 1 filters in their place, which are pricier and I'm sure aren't as high quality.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They look like they are using a similar media to the Donaldson and Fleetguard filters.

Yes, Donaldson also makes the Amsoil with the same basic media, while Fleetguard (Cummins) makes the "Stratapore" filters.

There was another one called "Hard Driver" which had a brief run and Fram's X2 and its predecessor appear to have the same basic media.

In a couple of these brands the synthetic media is not available on a wide range of automotive applications. Or, as in the case of Amsoil, the price is a bit steep. Or, as in the case of the Fram the manufacturer's overall design and quality make one hesitant to make the leap.

The Ultraguards were a nice combination of Champion's durable construction with a very effective synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They look like they are using a similar media to the Donaldson and Fleetguard filters.

Yes, Donaldson also makes the Amsoil with the same basic media, while Fleetguard (Cummins) makes the "Stratapore" filters.

There was another one called "Hard Driver" which had a brief run and Fram's X2 and its predecessor appear to have the same basic media.

In a couple of these brands the synthetic media is not available on a wide range of automotive applications. Or, as in the case of Amsoil, the price is a bit steep. Or, as in the case of the Fram the manufacturer's overall design and quality make one hesitant to make the leap.

The Ultraguards were a nice combination of Champion's durable construction with a very effective synthetic media.

Yes, the Donaldson and Fleetguard media is a synthetic glass type.

The FRAM "synthetic" filter (and the X2) is actually a hybrid media like the M1 filters; part synthetic part cellulose.

My understanding of the AMSOIL situation is that they license the media process from Donaldson, and do not purchase the actual media from them. Since WIX assembles many (most?) of the AMSOIL filters.....

It would be interesting to see how the Ultraguard media compares to Donaldson's SYNTEQ under a microscope........

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
I was using them on my old car that called for a PF-47, which is a shorter version of the PF-52. The new car uses PF-61, so it's a no go, sadly. Been using the Mobil 1 filters in their place, which are pricier and I'm sure aren't as high quality.

The UPF-44 has the same threads and will replace a PF-61.
All three sizes can be ordered from a Chevy dealer in MT.
If anyone wants to order some I can post their phone #.

P.S.- My Colorado calls for a PF-61 but I use the UPF-44 on it.

Last edited:
I wish I would have bought more a few years ago when I was getting them for around $7.50 shipped. I have around two PF52 units left for my RMS.

$7.54 each at gmpartsdirect.com, special order but available.

UPF44 part number 25329389
UPF52 part number 25322836

i'd order 10 at a time to get a break on shipping charges, was quoted ~$15 to ship 10 but $12.95 for ONE.

Originally Posted By: VQ35DE
They are only $7.99 plus shipping now.

yeah normal price was like $6.24, but factor in shipping and it was closer to 7.50

Originally Posted By: VQ35DE
The UPF-44 has the same threads and will replace a PF-61.

P.S.- My Colorado calls for a PF-61 but I use the UPF-44 on it.

I love you. I'm going to buy one from the dealer for my next oil change and try it out.

How does the 44 compare to the 61 in other dimensions (length, diameter, etc.)?

They are the SAME diameter and the UPF-44 is 1 inch shorter than the PF-61. I bet your local dealer won't have any. Mine never did. This dealer stocks all 3 sizes that are still produced (UPF-44, UPF-48, and UPF-52). Parts Dept # is 1-800-234-5284 .

Last edited:
I suspect you're right about not having them in stock, but I figure I can have them order one, then try it out and see if I like it. If I do, I'll buy a bunch more from a cheaper source. I used to get the UPF-52's from GMPartsDirect.

I just looked up the UPF52 on gmpartsdirect and they want 7.54 for it which is cheaper then I have found else where but they want $12.95 for shipping.

Quote:
I could not ever get my local dealers to even order me some.

Because their min order would be by the case (12). They cannot get just one filter thru the GM parts system.

fwiw - AC Delco filters often cost much less thru an AC Delco dealer. They can get them in single units because they buy from a wholesale AC Delco jobber, not direct from AC Delco.

i just got a case of 52's a month ago through my dealer great filters been using them along with the fleetguard Stratapore lf3554 because i get a them right with our farm discount. and there about the best
filter made IMO..

What is so good about the UltraGuards? I wasnt too impressed with the quality-to-price ratio of the standard PF47 for my Jimmy. Has anyone on this site cut one open?

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
What is so good about the UltraGuards? I wasnt too impressed with the quality-to-price ratio of the standard PF47 for my Jimmy. Has anyone on this site cut one open?

The UPF line is a full syn filter and just a whole different breed from the PF line of filters.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer

Since PF 47's were readily available for $2-$2.50 when I had my 92 Grand am, I never bought anything else except PF 52's. Some of them had more filter area. Finding PF 1177's for my truck was tougher. I tried Purolator, STP, ST, Fram, Power Flo, and maybe some stuff I have forgotten. They varied from 1/3 to 2/3 as much filter area as the AC. SQIN/$, nothing ever beat an AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back