AC Delco UPF63R

My Tahoe calls for a PF63E but the UPF63R is another option on rock auto.
I am having no luck finding the bypass number for this filter to see if it is the same as the PF63E.
Using 0w 20 mobile 1 oil.
Would the UPF63R be a better choice over the pf63e ?

Based on the 0w20 I'll assume you have an L83 V8 2014 or newer. (I have two).
A great filter for that engine is the Fram XG10575.
You want a new one from a high volume seller like Walmart since the old one's don't have the higher PRV pressure setting.

I thought seeing someplace that the "R" filter was the "Racing" filter and it has a really high bypass setting. Can't seem to find anythig right now with some Googling.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Based on the 0w20 I'll assume you have an L83 V8 2014 or newer. (I have two).
You want a new one from a high volume seller like Walmart since the old one's don't have the higher PRV pressure setting.

Pasted from old thread:
The old by-pass valve with the lower psi setting is black, and the new one with the higher setting is white.
This is according to Fram Technical Services.

Originally Posted by 4WD

It's a moot point.....

The XG10575 flows so well, it'll never go into bypass, anyway.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 4WD

It's a moot point.....

The XG10575 flows so well, it'll never go into bypass, anyway.

Not to mention for a filter to go into bypass, one would have to just let it go and never change the oil for over 20k miles on conventional oil. Since he is on here he is taking care of his vehicles.

Thanks for all the replies
I just purchased the Tahoe and reading up on the ph63e before I do my 500 mile oil change.I stop in here to read every now and then and I have read some cautionary things about the filter.I am just looking for a better filter with close to the bypass setting just to be safe.I looked on the mobile 1 site to try to get some info on the upf63r or if it is just another mobile 1 filter with no luck. If anyone knows anymore information on the upf63r that I couldn't find please share.
Thank You
Tim

Last edited:
The same factory rep quoted said the Mobil 1 filter has unique media, the Delco is not the same as M1. Only M1 has the M1 media.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You saying that another 50 times is mute to me. My $100k.

Maybe four times. And there will be five and six if someone keeps saying wrong info and the op gets wrong info. Keep it on mute.
laugh.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
UPF63R is a Mobil 1 filter with a Delco Gold sticker on it, You may have better luck on their website?
Thought the Ultraguard Gold had wire backed synthetic media? Which would make it more like Royal Purple or Fram Ultra? Unless something has changed?

Originally Posted by 4WD
You saying that another 50 times is mute to me. My $100k.

Mute or moot, or both?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by torridredgto
Thanks for all the replies
I just purchased the Tahoe and reading up on the ph63e before I do my 500 mile oil change.I stop in here to read every now and then and I have read some cautionary things about the filter.I am just looking for a better filter with close to the bypass setting just to be safe.I looked on the mobile 1 site to try to get some info on the upf63r or if it is just another mobile 1 filter with no luck. If anyone knows anymore information on the upf63r that I couldn't find please share.
Thank You
Tim

Wix WL10255 and WL10255XP list a 22psi bypass.

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=2167927
https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=2167935

Hastings LF641 lists a 20psi bypass.

http://catalog.hastingsfilters.com/
You have to search the P/N to see the spec sheet, I don't know how to get a direct link from their site.

Wix and Hastings both make quality filters.

I am having no luck finding the bypass number for this filter to see if it is the same as the PF63E.
So my two cents even though this thread is a bit old. I am going through a bit of a snit trying to replace the PF63e for my Acadia. First, the PF63e is, in theory, a adequate filter for the application. GM now lists it in their parts lookup as the replacement factory filter. However, after my last oil change, I cut the thing open and 'viola', the pleat connection was a bad glue job with it folded over on the end. So some oil was getting through unfiltered, while towing, etc. I didn't take a pic and now am sorry. So, I decided to go ahead and use the UPF63R that RA sells. I don't hate ACDelco and am guessing that the 63e is made by a different company,(it seems that it's made by Champion labs) while who knows who makes the UPF63R. But the deal is that the gold filter looks ok on the youtube cut-up and the pleat seam seems like it's got better adhesive.
Now, to add my two cents to torridredgto's problem, (and mine) is that RA lists the UPF63R as an option. BUT, some websites that retail GM parts online do not recommend that filter. So yes, real problem is that we cannot find the Bypass setting on the UPF63R. HOWEVER, ACDelco's online catalog, in fact, does list the UPF63R as an option: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/c...uest=1&part=UPF63R&catalog=5560&parttype=5340
Yet, the fitment at GM parts center says it doesn't fit--obviously because of bypass--because what else could it be?
I don't think that the Ultraguard Gold is anything other than OE quality under the gold label. I can say that the bypass settings were raised from 15 to 22 (for my application) after 2012 as per: GM tech-link.com: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=7627 Apparently the oil pump is variable speed or something something something. This other tech bulletin suggests upgrading to the UPF63R but only back to 2016 for Acadia and mine is a ‘13: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181678-9999.pdf

At this point I think I am going with the UPF63R because GM claims that the gold is for demanding situations, including racing, but doesn't say ONLY racing. I think if the bypass was 35, that they would almost need to say RACING ONLY. I've also considered the Hastings/Baldwin because I was able to confirm the bypass was 20 psi, which, in my book, also sounds okay because I do, actually, know for sure that it's not something way out of spec.

Best,

Last edited:
The Ultraguard filters used to be all synthetic media, wire backed; but, the current ones are a synthetic blend media. Your Acadia needs a 22 PSI bypass setting filter, and the Ultaguard is recommended by GM for Corvettes & other performance applications. The one on my Express 6.0 in my sig has improved my hot oil pressure. It’s technically not a racing filter, like the HP series Fram, and I’m pretty sure that Champion Labs, part of Fram, makes the AC Delco filters.

The UPF63R is the OEM filter, That’s my understanding. It says OE on the filter, which is stamped with the product code. Just noticed that today while changing it out. Someone mentioned that it’s a Mobile 1 in reality. It does look awfully similar except the Mobile 1 has a silicone anti drain back valve. I don’t know if the bypass setting is the same though so I stick with the UPF63R. This makes a huge difference for the high-feature v6 but the (Mobil 1) may be fine for the Tahoe.

Back